Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
It will sell well. Lots of features for that price. Can see lots of metropcs activations from promos. Good

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I just don't trust ZTE, I rarely hear good things about them other than price. Lack of updates, bad customer service, spyware (though that might have been from before the NSA got caught) etc. Granted, it's a $99 almost burner phone so it's not a huge deal here lol.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
MetroPCS

Hope they have it for an AT&T Go phone. I was ready to pull the trigger on the ZTE Zmax 2 for $59.99 at Best Buy since Androids with 2 GB of RAM is rare at that price until I saw this Zmax Pro this morning. Good job, ZTE. They undercut the Huawei Honor 5X and Motorola Moto G4 by half.

My only concerns with the Zmax 2 is it has a mic problem where callers won't be able to hear me. My Moto E 4G which excels in most areas except camera and voice clarity is quite muffled already. But I like that the 3000 mAh on the Zmax 2 is removable and faux leather back or something close to it. The first Zmax on T-Mobile had bigger capacity but non removable which still didn't prevent people from taking it out. ZTE is becoming the Xiaomi of the United States but without the flash sales.

I guess I will have to wait another month or until they have one for AT&T prepaid phones since those are the easiest for me to unlock through their unlock request page. Just don't turn it on with the AT&T sim inside and wait for the email approval in 3 days, and you're good. AT&T has already approved six phones for me this year and I profited from four of them. I just have to live with their carrier logo, boot up, and disable their bloatware, but AT&T's is still way less uglier than Verizon's.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
MetroPCS

Hope they have it for an AT&T Go phone. I was ready to pull the trigger on the ZTE Zmax 2 for $59.99 at Best Buy since Androids with 2 GB of RAM is rare at that price until I saw this Zmax Pro this morning. Good job, ZTE. They undercut the Huawei Honor 5X and Motorola Moto G4 by half.

My only concerns with the Zmax 2 is it has a mic problem where callers won't be able to hear me. My Moto E 4G which excels in most areas except camera and voice clarity is quite muffled already. But I like that the 3000 mAh on the Zmax 2 is removable and faux leather back or something close to it. The first Zmax on T-Mobile had bigger capacity but non removable which still didn't prevent people from taking it out. ZTE is becoming the Xiaomi of the United States but without the flash sales.

I guess I will have to wait another month or until they have one for AT&T prepaid phones since those are the easiest for me to unlock through their unlock request page. Just don't turn it on with the AT&T sim inside and wait for the email approval in 3 days, and you're good. AT&T has already approved six phones for me this year and I profited from four of them. I just have to live with their carrier logo, boot up, and disable their bloatware, but AT&T's is still way less uglier than Verizon's.

i'll try it out on metropcs, since i have access to it. the features for the pricepoint is intriguing.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
In a couple of years, people would find little reason to spend $600 or more on smartphones. Crazy how good these midrange phones are getting for cheap prices. $350 is my limit nowadays. I usually wait on eBay sales or monitor Swappa.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
In a couple of years, people would find little reason to spend $600 or more on smartphones. Crazy how good these midrange phones are getting for cheap prices. $350 is my limit nowadays. I usually wait on eBay sales or monitor Swappa.

Got my OPX yesterday from BB. Grant it at a reduced cost since its release but I cannot believe what I have experienced so far for the buck.

Count me in so another who is choosing not to spend big bucks on future flagships at release date. Even down the road apiece the price better offer great bang for buck like the OPX does.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm even seeing S7s for 400€ these past days on local second hand apps here where I live, just a few months after release.

G5 is also 400€ right now everywhere.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
ZTE is proving time and time again for us to stop paying for $600+ flagships that will be disposable as those $300-$500 iPods we used to buy a decade ago.

Zmax Pro would cost about $300 here in the Philippines because the $199 Honor 5X (aka GR5 here) cost about $270. I would love this phone but non removable battery (only 400 mAh more than the Zmax 2) and it is packing 1080p when all I need is 720p. And it looks like MetroPCS and then T-Mobile. Back to getting the Zmax 2.

Great specs for that price though. Zmax Pro more interesting to me than the Moto G4 and Honor 5X and just as useful as a Nexus 6. Just don't expect software updates. Expect to be stuck on Marshmallow forever just like the Zmax 2 will be stuck on Lollipop 5.1 forever.

Great time we live in when many of us are coming to realize what's the point of buying expensive flagships? Our carriers is part of the scamming for us to be hooked onto them. Again, just think about all that money wasted when people were still buying iPods and overpaying for a BlackBerry Connect plan?

Some great posts on Howard Forums about the Zmax 2. I used to be a regular on there before MR and I love reading comparisons between cheap prepaid phones. I love reading there are other tightwads like me. The only thing Apple taught me is with their outrageous prices is learning to also be efficient with my money since their asking prices isn't $500+ better than most budget phones out right now.

Even if say this Zmax Pro isn't as great as an iPhone 6s Plus, S7 edge, or didn't last quite as long, that's still $600+ you are saving for something else you can buy other than some disposable portable gadget no longer stays with us for more than two. And if it got stolen, oh well. Sounds better losing a $100 phone than a $700 one. Let's be practical. Ego trippin' don't last.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
ZTE is proving time and time again for us to stop paying for $600+ flagships that will be disposable as those $300-$500 iPods we used to buy a decade ago.

Zmax Pro would cost about $300 here in the Philippines because the $199 Honor 5X (aka GR5 here) cost about $270. I would love this phone but non removable battery (only 400 mAh more than the Zmax 2) and it is packing 1080p when all I need is 720p. And it looks like MetroPCS and then T-Mobile. Back to getting the Zmax 2.

Great specs for that price though. Zmax Pro more interesting to me than the Moto G4 and Honor 5X and just as useful as a Nexus 6. Just don't expect software updates. Expect to be stuck on Marshmallow forever just like the Zmax 2 will be stuck on Lollipop 5.1 forever.

Great time we live in when many of us are coming to realize what's the point of buying expensive flagships? Our carriers is part of the scamming for us to be hooked onto them. Again, just think about all that money wasted when people were still buying iPods and overpaying for a BlackBerry Connect plan?

Some great posts on Howard Forums about the Zmax 2. I used to be a regular on there before MR and I love reading comparisons between cheap prepaid phones. I love reading there are other tightwads like me. The only thing Apple taught me is with their outrageous prices is learning to also be efficient with my money since their asking prices isn't $500+ better than most budget phones out right now.

Even if say this Zmax Pro isn't as great as an iPhone 6s Plus, S7 edge, or didn't last quite as long, that's still $600+ you are saving for something else you can buy other than some disposable portable gadget no longer stays with us for more than two. And if it got stolen, oh well. Sounds better losing a $100 phone than a $700 one. Let's be practical. Ego trippin' don't last.

This phone is definitely a shocker at the pricepoint. I'm gonna check it out (have access to metropcs dealers).

I think with Apple I understand you're paying for the support as well as the hardware. Software support for at least three years. Convenient service too.

I think these midrange phones, while they affect every oem, really affect the flagship android markets. Because Apple has a proprietary OS it can still offer a unique experience.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This phone is definitely a shocker at the pricepoint. I'm gonna check it out (have access to metropcs dealers).

I think with Apple I understand you're paying for the support as well as the hardware. Software support for at least three years. Convenient service too.

I think these midrange phones, while they affect every oem, really affect the flagship android markets. Because Apple has a proprietary OS it can still offer a unique experience.

I thought Apple's warranty was only 1 year unless you purchased the apple care? At $99 you could buy 3 of these, put 2 in the drawer as your own warranty replacement and still be at half the price of an iphone. Of course it's not apples to oranges, but the differences between high end and low end are rapidly disappearing.

Reactions: jamezr

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I thought Apple's warranty was only 1 year unless you purchased the apple care? At $99 you could buy 3 of these, put 2 in the drawer as your own warranty replacement and still be at half the price of an iphone. Of course it's not apples to oranges, but the differences between high end and low end are rapidly disappearing.
Well said the days of high end phone with high prices are over, just like you are buying microwave oven years ago was expensive, look at the price of it now a days.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I wouldn't say they are over, the iPhones and Galaxies will still sell millions every year

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.