Zuckerberg holding out for $15 billion Facebook valuation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amin, Sep 24, 2007.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

If he is really turning down $500 million for 5% and holding out for a $15 billion valuation, then what an &*^$%^&!.

Story here

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wow! Thats incredible...my interest in Facebook is going down, due to the annoying amount of scrolling because of the apps (mostly rubbish)...

3. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I just want to say I hate Facebook with a passion. I don't know how anyone can enjoy that site, the interface, everything, etc.:confused: I am not that fond of MySpace either but I realized if you can't beat it, join it! :) Plus I just don't think MySpace is as deceptive as Facebook.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Are you kidding me? Myspace is the bane of the internet's existence! I can't think of any single site that is more of an eyesore than Myspace. What features of Myspace are better than Facebook? I can't think of a single one.

Granted, I don't love Facebook, but it is WORLDS better than Myspace. I've actually never heard a single person say that Myspace is better than Facebook.

"I don't know how anyone can enjoy that site, the interface, everything, etc."

That's funny, because that's what the vast majority of people think is so incredibly wrong with Myspace. At least Facebook has a uniform interface, has great privacy controls, great groups, great 3rd party software, better searching ability, and doesn't have disgusting html all over the place.

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Don't get me wrong...I really do hate MySpace too but you brought up the whole reason why I think Facebook sucks--the privacy controls. With MySpace you can set your profile to PRIVATE (which is sufficient enough I think) but the fact that a person still has a MySpace page is public information. Facebook actually lets you conceal the fact you even have an account there. I guess you have never been cheated on before or else you might have a HUGE problem with that feature. :rolleyes: I think that is very deceptive and a great way for a person to LOOK single and keep their girlfriend from knowing! :mad:

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, if your reason for hating Facebook is because of the great privacy controls and it doesn't allow you to know who your girlfriend is talking to, I don't know what else to say.
    And why is this a bad thing? This is one of the MAIN reasons that it has increased in popularity so much? People don't want employers and/or stalkers being able to view their pictures or find out personal information about them?

7. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I was actually the GIRLFRIEND and speaking hypothetically of course. ;) With MySpace, you can set your profile, pics, comments to private so that doesn't affect employers or random people out there. You must not have a MySpace account since you didn't know that. At least each MySpace account has a URL tagged to it, that's ALL and that is FAIR for everyone to know in my opinion.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I actually do have a Myspace account, hate it, and it doesn't play well with Safari at all. It's simply a waste of time.

I can't stand navigating it, I don't want to hear some crappy song every time I click on someone's profile, see bizarre embedded flash videos, and don't want to have to squint to read through all the crappy html.

To each his own.

In my experience, I've found that Myspace is for crappy emo bands, rappers, and generally lowbrow individuals taking pictures of themselves with in front of a mirror holding a camera with minimal clothing on. It's a joke.

9. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ok I totally get your point. I just was saying that if my boyfriend has a Facebook account, I better be able to do a search and find it. That's all and Facebook actually lets a person hide the fact they are even on there.

In my opinion, both the sites are big JOKE and people are taking it all too seriously. :) JMO

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Alright. I was just responding to when you wrote this:

"I don't know how anyone can enjoy that site, the interface, everything, etc." when referencing to Facebook, which I guess you no longer abdicate.

You do know that if you are on Facebook, you can view all of his information and his relationship status if you are friends with him, the exact same way you can on Myspace? They both do the same thing?

If you are friends with someone on Myspace, you can see their relationship status. If you aren't friends with them, you can't. Same goes for Facebook? I don't see your argument; the privacy thing, especially for viewing someone's relationships & the like is the exact same.

11. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

YES, you are correct, but you are missing one piece of information and really the ONLY thing I had a big problem with on the privacy settings...a person can actually conceal the fact they have a Facebook account...there is a privacy setting that makes it impossible for someone to SEARCH your name out in the database.

And if MySpace has one of those functions now then I guess I am not aware of it because I have never seen it yet. I still think Facebook has the power to be more deceptive. This is just my little hang up and I guess I have some control issues with having to know everything. :eek:

12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I think facebook would be a lot better if it didn't have these stupid application. Some of them are useful and cool, but when someone has 100+ apps, it takes so long to scroll to their wall, which I miss most of the time, because it's so small compared to the rest of the page.

A large reason people may have left myspace, is because of the god-awful spam. Peoples account were being hacked, and people would post things like " click here to get a free iPhone today" (which was in like, february, which I found funny.

Anyway, I personally enjoy Facebook more, and I've found a lot of people I haven't spoken to in years; the same can't be said for myspace.

13. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Whether or not Facebook is good, it isn't special enough to be holding out for $15 billion. I don't know how these things work - whether the VCs call the shots or Zuckerberg himself - but it would appear that someone on the Facebook squad is high.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

$15 billion dollars for the flavour-of-the-month Facebook? That's stupid, but I bet you there are people even dumber who are contemplating this deal right now.