ZUM SC Ultimate arrival date

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Tikatika, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I had sent this question to Joey at info@letszum.com and he just responded:

"The new ZUM SC Ultimate will be available late next week at amazon first. "

Thought I would share the good news!

2. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Sweet. Just bought a leather smart cover yesterday so I need a back cover. This seems like the best bet. Any idea what the price will be?

3. glen e macrumors 68030

great news...I think we need a side by side test of this vs the feather...

4. batotman macrumors 6502

Reviews kinda stink on the old one. How does this compare to the I-Blason?

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Sounds awesome. I'm thinking of betting the black pearl to compliment the black leather smart cover I have ordered. I also have the smart feather on order but it is still on back order from MacMall.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Not sure why they stink. I loved my Zum on my iPad 2

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Awesome, I love the Zum on my iPad 2! I almost pulled the trigger on a Feather yesterday at the MacMall store here in Chicago but the fact that the top and bottom edges of the iPad are totally exposed are a deal breaker for me.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

The I-Blason does not lock the Smart Cover to the case like the Zum does. Some people prefer being able to take the cover on/off all the time, others prefer to cover to be secured and integrated with the case, it's a matter of preference.

9. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Based on the pics of the i-blason on amazon, it looks like it does in fact provide the same features as the zum sc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AHQNP2?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1

10. JonLDavis macrumors newbie

Where are the bad reviews? I couldn't really find anything damning. I am considering this or feather or belkin or smartshell.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I'm afraid not, the photos on Amazon only show the i-blason with the Smart Cover attached. If you look on the i-blason website for this product it clearly shows a cutout on the side that the Smart Cover attaches to. The Zum and Feather style cases have a bracket on that side that keep the Smart Cover locked on.

Here's the i-blason page for reference:

i-Blason iPad back

12. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

What's the sound like since the speaker area is "guarded"?

I'm very interested in this if I can save over getting the Feather...

13. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Did you even click the amazon link? Straight from amazon

"with the custom molded openning securing the magnetic metal to the 2012 ipad third generation, the i-blason smart case reinforces the conection, providing a virtually unbreakable connection."

14. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Interesting that the i-Blason web site doesn't say that, but it is very clearly stated WITH photos to back it up on the Amazon site... Hmmmm.

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My fault, yes I clicked the link but not on their supplementary photos. The main photo shows the same "old style" with no anchoring clasp on the side. The second photos show the clasp, great. The photos on their website also still show the old no-clasp style, weird.

That said I'm still anxious to see what Zum comes out with, on the version for the iPad 2 the speaker grille is covered with a perforations in the case to let sound through. Although the i-blason looks nearly the same as the Zum I still prefer full back coverage, including the speaker. I do wish that these manufacturers would all put magnets on the back to secure the cover when folded back. Not a deal breaker though, I can mod on my own.

16. Qfic macrumors member

the Luvvitt Dolce is also a similar cover, have it on my New Ipad and am pretty happy with it.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't like how the I-Blason and Feather both appear to leave a big section of the bottom edge unprotected.

The old ZUM covered that area, but left enough room around the iPad dock connector to where I never had any problems plugging in sync cables.

18. dealmaker macrumors regular

I have the Feather AND the Zum SC ..on our iPad 2's.....

The feather does not have as good as coverage as the Zum....but is made of much higher quality material....(albeit thinner)......

The ZUM SC is quite fragile - and cracks and breaks easily under the lightest knocks or impacts.......only consider it if you are simply trying to stop scratching on rear.....and expect to have to change it after four or five months....

.....as I said on another thread - the ideal rear case - would use the ZUM's form factor....but with much higher quality and higher tensile strength materials.....

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmmm, I didn't have any problems with my SC appearing fragile, but I only had it for ~4 months (before getting the new iPad). :confused:

20. glen e macrumors 68030

also no fragile problems here..... and lots of air travel....

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Wonder if ZUM tweaked the materials as the production runs progressed?

22. batotman macrumors 6502

Amazon, this forum. Mostly just issues with cracking.

23. sparkhill macrumors regular

Between myself and my family, we had five Zum SC's. Some were purchased at release and others in Dec, 2012.

All five Zum's will not stay attached on the smart cover side. The little retention clips just do not hold. The cover stays on, but it is not fully clipped and comes off more easily than you anticipate. Two covers have cracked. It is an OK back cover, but it is undeserving of the praise heaped upon it in this forum.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

25. dugbee macrumors regular

I put a ZUM on my iPad 2 immediately, and never looked back. Didn't have any cracking issues. As with all of you I've been waiting for the revised version for the new iPad. Except that the unexpected happened - I'm kind of liking going without.

At home, most of the time the iPad sits in its Wedge-E. At work, it sits landscape on my desk with the SmartCover as a stand. But several times in the past week I've removed the SmartCover and held the iPad plain; I find the feel of the aluminum much nicer than that of the microfiber of a folded SmartCover, or the poly of a half-folded cover.

Perhaps I should scold myself for never trying it this way from the beginning, since it's using it as designed. I just need to figure out if my paranoia of scratches outweighs the desire of going plain. Not to mention retraining myself to realize the cover is no longer locked to the iPad.