Zune HD and iTunes content

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebb0917, Oct 15, 2009.

1. calebb0917 macrumors member

Hey everyone. Before I ask this question, let me explain what I'm dealing with here:

I have a MacBook with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 installed on it. I have my iTunes library of about 250 songs (so not a huge one) in Snow Leopard, not Windows 7. I am interested in purchasing a Zune HD and syncing the iTunes content to it.

Now here comes my question(s):

Does removing the DRM (upgrading to iTunes-Plus) allow the content to be moved onto the Zune HD? If so, could I copy my music, videos, etc. to an external hard drive, boot into Windows 7, transfer the files into Windows, and sync my content to the Zune HD? Would this work? Also, would I sync through the Microsoft Zune software, or what?

Thank you for your help.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Well your first problem is that there is no Zune software for the Mac - however DRM free content will be playable on the Zune.

3. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is unfortunate, but I was planning on doing all of this in the Windows 7 partition on my MacBook. So it will all be done in Windows.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

It seems unlikely that your iTunes library could be read by the microsoft software under windows and then put on the zune. You'd almost certainly have to export all of the iTunes to plain old mp3 files first, so you would give up playlists and such.

5. JTA60288 macrumors member

If I were you, I would use BootCamp or Parallels to run Windows 7 on your Mac. Then, use iTunes Plus to remove the DRM and import the songs into WMP or whatever program is compatible with Zune HD.

6. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't iTunes content in h.264 format? I believe the Zune is capable of reading this format. Am I right?

Thank you for helping me out.

7. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

I have Windows 7 on my MacBook through BootCamp so we are both on the same page there. I just don't know what software to use to sync the Zune and if the music will be compatible with this software.

Thanks for helping me out.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Before you buy a zune, you want to see whether it'll work for you.
    Most sites covering the zune only publish recycled Microsoft press releases / advertising material.
    Here is a full comparison instead:

Microsoft Zune HD vs Apple iPod touch 3G, Feature Comparison
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/09/microsoft-zune-hd-vs-apple-ipod-touch-3g-feature-comparison/

Library is xml. Zune does not support that. However,

NO NEED to convert to ancient mp3 format because
    iTunes fils are AAC (mp4). Zune suppose to support it.

h.264 is video. Zune suppose to support it but will convert. But I thought you are talking about music?

9. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, what do you mean by "see whether it will work for me?"

So, I won't need to convert any files since iTunes music is in AAC format? That is readable and "syncable" with the Zune?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They said AAC will work. Just copy the files over.

As to the other point,
    - Do you want a portable media player without accessible controls?

- Do you want a device that you can't see the screen when under sunlight. Is it portable if you can't use it outside?

- Do you want a device that takes almost 10 seconds to launch the weather app?

- Do you want a device that takes almost 30 seconds to launch chess app?

11. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

LOL very good points. I'm hoping that software upgrades will speed things up in the future. Also, I have a YouTube channel where I review technology and the latest devices, so the Zune HD seems to fit. I appreciate you looking out for me though = ) lol.

So, just to make sure I have this clear...
    I need to upgrade to iTunes Plus, transfer to Windows 7 through an external hard drive, import into Windows Media Player, and sync up. Correct?

I really appreciate your help.