Zune HD is now OFFICIAL!!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by gan6660, May 26, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The Zune HD is now official and will hit this fall!! OLED Touchscreen, HD Radio. More details to hit at E3 next week!!!

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Actually specs look decent...although I'm eager to see if MS goes flash memory..as it could push its price up(if it were a serious amount of storage)...or HDD which would make it huge(also whats the CPU, as it was rumored to be a high end one)

Zune+Xbox work makes a lot of sense here...about about time! I guess this might turn into MS answer to the PSP, DSi and iPod touch! I wouldn't have seen Apple fighting its way against the big three(admittedly I think the the DSi is worlds ahead when it comes to games the the iPod touch/iPhone)

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Any news if it can be used on a Mac? The IE based browser is a turn off...

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Now I hope sony releases the psp2 next week and this is going to be a busy year for me.

6. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

i didn't even think about that. there have been a lot of great downloadable games for the 360. i'd love it if games like Braid could be transferred to the zune, but the fact that there are no buttons will make that difficult.
    maybe people will actually buy a zune product now. i literally do not know ONE person who has a zune.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I doubt if this will be Mac compatible. Still, the more competition the better.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm... Design looks familiar.

OH. THE IPHONE. TWO YEARS AGO.

Now we have a nice, real value of how behind Microsoft is.

9. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I wonder when they will post this on the home page of mac rumors?

10. monke macrumors 65816

monke

IMO, this is Microsoft trying to play catchup. Not just with Apple's iPod, but with Sony's PS3 + PSP capabilities. It was a gap they were missing, and it's not all that revolutionary.

Is 480 x 272 really HD? Or is the "HD" in the name just for the HD radio and output, but is the display actually HD?

It'll be interesting to see what other specs come out (battery life, it it'll work with the Microsoft app store, etc) at E3 and see how Apple responds with another iPod Touch in September.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well sorta...yes, its a touch screen based device, with that, there are only so many places you can take the design. Similar? Yes, but more then other touch devices that were before and after iPhone

I'm sure they will, this pretty big news, but its not massive in that it isn't by Apple or about their products.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd love to get one if they only made the software for OS X and fixed the ID3 issues I have with it.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The best part about it is that the screen is 480x272, which for those of you who don't want to do the maths is 16:9. How long are we going to have to wait for an iPod which has a decent screen like this?

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Probably about as long as the Zunies have to wait. "Fall".

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

All of the third party applications are designed for 480x320 though...

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im not sure if my Pre will fullfil my void for a PDA with good web browsing capability (which it probably will do), and My current 4G flash zune still works fine.

That being said, this Zune HD looks promising, I will pay attention to it and see if I will get one.

[​IMG]

17. boonlar macrumors 6502

I don't understand why they make these devices so thin. What's the point? I'd rather it be twice as thick with double the battery capacity. Also 480x272 screen is pathetic for any device. 800x480 or gtfo.

18. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

That's reason enough for me to not even consider it. I will admit it looks quite sharp but the problem with any Zune has always been the software, first and foremost.

19. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

so anyone buying one? I know I am. Right along with my 3rd gen touch and 5th gen nano!

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

copycat of what? I think apple lovers throwing that word out for no good reason far too often.
    Im thinking if IE can run on this thing, will the underline OS allow other things to run? such as mobile firefox?