Zune HD Release?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gan6660, Aug 3, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

What ever happen to it? After it was confirmed we heard no more rumors of pricing or release date. My thought is that Microsoft is waiting until the new ipods come out so that they can price it accordingly. If apple releases a $229 16gb iPod Touch microsoft will make the zune $199 but if it stays $299 it will be $249.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Good to know.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Microsoft is simply doing exactly what Apple does. Not releasing any more specs than necessary to keep interest up for two reasons.

1. Because the software is still being tweaked, and the list of final features is still up in the air.
    2. For the surprise factor. The day the final specs are introduced you'll also be able to buy one.

4. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I read that article and all sounds good. If apple doesnt release a tablet I think I will pick up the black one.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

Any bets on whether the HD (radio) will double Microsoft's marketshare in the portable audio/visual device arena?

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Given that HD radio isn't everywhere, I'll bet that HD radio alone won't have any effect on Zune HD sales. It's other features may though. ;)

7. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Like... not having a speaker, having a lower resolution screen, not being able to output full HD, nor play back any form of HD natively (oh, the irony of M$ naming), not being able to use Nike+, and missing Bluetooth capabilities? Don't even get me started on Apps... :/

iPod touch

-Bluetooth
    -App Store
    -Higher resolution screen
    -Speaker
    -Nike+

Zune HD

-Radio
    -OLED screen
    -720p video out

The choice is pretty obvious guys, and the touch is about to get entirely new features this fall (probably everything the Zune HD has that it lacks and more)! How could anyone justify getting the Zune HD :confused:

8. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Because it looks like sex, and not everyone has one...

9. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

How could anyone justify getting the Zune HD :confused:[/QUOTE]

I am going to get it since I already have a 1st and 2nd gen touch so Ill have the best of both worlds. But I am picking up the psp go first. Now if Apple releases the tablet of a extrodinary update to the Touch then its a different story.

10. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Anyway I was just looking at the zune website and all their accessories are 50% off so it looks like the Zune HD will be releaed soon will all new accessories since the existing zunes are going to be discontinued.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

OLED screen, 480 x 272 at 3.3" diagonally. All the Touch has is more width to it's screen at 480 x 320. 16x9 widescreen movies get stretched on the Touch, look perfect on the Zune HD's OLED screen.
    HD radio, and HD 720p content (downsized internally to play on the OLED screen) and playable via HDMI when docked an connected to your HDTV.
    Music app draws in additional artist and album info, as well as links to related artists over WiFi.
    HD movies/video downloadable directly from the Zune marketplace, and playable on your Xbox, PC, or Zune HD.
    Will come with updated premium headphones.
    Zune marketplace will let you buy songs individually, or subscribe to "all you can listen to" for $14.99 a month with 10 tracks you can keep. Subscribe for just one month if you want, then use the privilage to find and listen to a few thousand songs. Only buy the ones you like, then listen to the ones you've bought on your PC or any other media player. Everything plays WMA files. Only a few players play AAC files.

Yes. The Touch has games and apps you can buy or get for free from the app store. No indication yet if there will be an SDK for the Zune, but the current models have games, so I expect there to be downloadable games from Zune Markeplace.

The Zune HD will be less expensive than a Touch with comparable memory. It won't have an email or Stocks or weather app, at least not to begin with. The Tegra processor should be capable of running anything the Touch can run, but it will take time for an apps store to develop. It took time for the iTunes app store to develop too.

12. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Are you thinking it will come with new premium headphones or has this been confirmed/widespread rumor? If it does thats even better!