Zune HD to ipod touch 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by haarism, Jan 3, 2011.

1. haarism macrumors newbie

Alright so I've had an ipod touch first gen for a few years and decided it's time for an upgrade
    I ende up buying a zune HD and I liek it very much for its music capabilities, but that's pretty much it and I've decided the benefits of the ipod touch 4th gen (camera, speakers finally, huge number of apps, fact that the userbase is huge which essentially means more hacks and modability) outweigh it so im going to make an exchange

i was wondering are there any apps/mods/hacks to make the ipod touch's music player more similar to the zune's in essence the simple and elegant music controller, the fact that the zune gets related artists and bios and the Smart DJ player and the much better and much more efficient song rating system

there's a chance I could get an iphone 4 to replace my motorola droid and I could keep the amazing music capabilities of the zune but i really don't want to dish out the extra several hundred rather than the 70 or so for the ipod

thanks in advance for all replies

2. Windows macrumors member

Windows

I've never owned any other MP3's other than Apple ones so I couldn't really help you out there (probably not many people on this site have as well):p. Why would you want to change the way it looks now, it's very intuitive and simple and is easy to use.

You can use Genius which is on iTunes, it helps you make libraries and helps you pick new songs and artists depending on what you currently have. I myself don't use it because I'm to lazy to register :rolleyes:

As for song rating, um I don't really know what your talking about :confused: You can rate a song or an album when you buy it off the Apple store but that's about it.

Also, the iPod Touch is not 70 or so dollars, it starts at 200 or so dollars. If you could I would buy an iPhone. Or even better yet, I'd wait for the release of the iPhone 5, you can have a phone and an excellent MP3 all in one, plus apps which increase the versatility of the iPhone/iTouch even more.

3. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

What you get out of the box with the iPod touch is what you're stuck with, OP.

Downside to your migration is that you have to use iTunes, which is the biggest load of crapware ever. Many idiotic limitations left and right. Zune software makes it look like horse crap kiddy software.

But the iPod touch has more apps, bigger community, etc. Just use SharePod or something I guess instead of iTunes because Apple messed it up.

Also, yeah you can rate albums.

4. Windows macrumors member

Windows

LMFAO, the Zune has nothing close to the versatility the iPod Touch has. The Zune HD is JUST an MP3 player with a touchscreen and a browser, the games on it sucks and the amount and quality of it's apps are nothing compared to what Apple has to offer.
    Apps make the iTouch something else, at least in my opinion.

And I don't know what people are whining about, Music on the iPod is simple and easy no need to make it complicated it's fine as it is.

Oh well, I don't wanna start any arguments but those are my opinions. ;)

5. darkmess macrumors newbie

I think it is established that MKTank was talking about iTunes, not the iPod. It seems like he respects the iPod but definitely not iTunes.

Anyway, very interesting and similar story, I myself had an iPod touch 1st gen for years, and then upgraded to a Zune HD 2009. I then bought the iPod touch 4g because I promised in 2009 if the 3rd iPod touch would get a camera, I will get it as soon as possible. Since they failed to do that, I bought a Zune HD.

I empathize with you, haarism. The Zune HD's presentation and layout was absolutely awesome. But no, there doesn't seem to be a way to easily change the iPod's layout to reflect the same style as the Zune.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

7. darkmess macrumors newbie

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Zune is NOT known as "elegant."

"Amazing music capabilities of the zune" LOL. That's just shilling.

9. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Don't know what Zune you've been looking at, but the music players found in the Zune HD and WP7 blow the iPod app away. Let's not start on the crapware that is iTunes and how the Zune software pisses all over it in terms of..

well, everything.