Zune Media Player

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hellfire88, Jan 17, 2012.

1. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. I just got another MBP to use after going back to Windows for awhile (just couldn't forget how nice the screens and trackpads on the MBPs are compared to their Windows PC counterparts).

One software I actually find that I use a lot is the Zune Media Player. IMHO the Zune Pass (old plan that I'm grand-fathered into: $14.99/mo for unlimited streaming/downloading of music + 10 to keep forever DRM-free per month) is an unbeatable deal. Each song is usually $0.99 anyways on iTunes/Zune so with 10 free songs each month = $14.99 - $10 = $4.99/mo for unlimited streaming & downloading of music (downloads are DRMed obviously unless you use the 10x song credits on them).

Anyways, what is the best way to run Zune Media Player on a MBP13" running Lion? There doesn't seem to be a native Mac version so I guess VMWare Fusion / Parallels would be best? Its kinda silly to run a full VM just for Zune but guess I have no other choice. I've used Fusion and Parallels years ago but haven't kept up to date on their latest versions. How does the audio performance compare for them? Real-time audio so my music will sound OK streaming from Zune? Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. jj48 macrumors regular

As an alternative solution have you considered spotify or similar? It's £4.99 here in the UK for unlimited streaming. £9.99 for offline playlists and mobile device usage. Not sure on US pricing.

3. SkippyScud macrumors member

I don't know of any software that will access the Zune marketplace other than Zune itself, so I think VM software may be your only choice. I just wish they would make a Zune app for iOS and I would be all over the Zune Pass. I think it's even $9.99/mo now.. or maybe was a promo

4. hellfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

@jj48, thanks but I prefer the Zune Pass since every month I can keep 10 songs forever (DRM-free). With Spotify as soon as I end my subscription I lose access to all the songs).

@SkippyScud: Yea the current Zune Pass plan is $9.99/month but with NO more 10songs to keep per month feature, so now its more in line with Spotify/Rhasody etc. I like my old plan better since for $5 more per month I can keep 10 songs in my collection DRM-Free.

Guess VM is my only option so I'll try out VMWare Fusion. Thanks.