Zune Out

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rdowns, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jruc4871 macrumors regular

http://www.zunescene.com/

look at the "Gallery" picture on the left - the Zune enthusiast who made the site slimmed down the device in a weak attempt to make it look decent.

2. Meatball macrumors regular

These are funny:

Show us pictures of your zune

3. TangoCharlie macrumors member

I just ordered my....

iPod Nano (PRODUCT) Red 8GB :D :D :D

4. 50548 Guest

And who the hell is that Mr. Cheung? Rob Enderle undercover? Or perhaps Mr. Thurrot? :D

5. nemaslov macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

I have followed this...

I have been reading all about this Zune for the past few weeks but today I topld three tech savvy people that the Zune was being released today and they ALL responded.."HUH what's that!.":confused: Revealing?

6. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I don't know why I care but....

OMG!

THAT is the best they can come up with?! It reminds me of a priceless remark that a professor of mine once wrote on a friend's term paper. He wrote, "E____, this paper is 'woefully awful', F."

Thanks Dr. Ong. I always knew that I would get a chance to bite that remark.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I also notice that this thread on the zunescene site shows that 56% of respondents so far actually preferred the infamous brown color.

Hmmmm.

I like the larger screen on the Zune, but it ruins the appearance. Until Apple comes out with the "all screen" iPod with "virtual" click wheel, I don't think a bigger screen is possible while keeping the iPod attractive.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

OUCH!
    i think especially the lack of backward compatibility with MS-purchased tunes is going to hurt them.
    they only thing going for them is the amount of cash they are willing to lose per piece until it develops into a decent product

9. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

10. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

11. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

What do you mean man? Zune isn't just an mp3/video player.... It's a state of mind (hear that last part in a whispered Christopher Walken voice.)

Zune man... Zune.

12. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I used to like the layout of the Zune, with the 4:3 screen turned sideways, but I just realized that the Zune doesn't look like it's possible to operate with one hand. LAME. Do they even try to use their products before they release them?

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You've forgot zuneworld, which nearly crashed Safari.

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

What the hell guys the Zune is awesome! Don't trash talk it! I just got mine today, check it out!

[​IMG]

15. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

The point was that with iTunes, you pay $.99 for a song. With Zune, you pay in blocks of money. Unless you buy $490+ worth of music, you will alwyas have points left over to use. Very lame concept.

16. mach1andy macrumors regular

Microsoft stock went down, Apple stock went up!! Not sure if someone posted that yet, but just saw it in the news!

17. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

yeh but....

Just some things to consider before rating this thread with a negative vote.

It has a bigger screen than the iPod.

It has wireless functionality. Built in.

It has a radio. Built in.

It allows for music sharing between users. Built in.

It also has an online music store.

It is the same price as an iPod. I wouldn't buy one as I am not in the market for a new MP3 player however, if I was, I would definitely consider getting one. I reckon M$ has made a hit here. Although it is a clone of the iPod, it has more features. This will appeal to users. Just because it doesn't have an Apple logo on it won't make consumers run away. Don't kid yourself, people don't care who makes it, unlike us here on the forum.

As long as it works and you can do more stuff than the piece of technology you have now it is better. Therefore it will sell. At the moment the Zune is better value for money than the similarly priced iPod.

Many Zune's will find themselves inside of xmas stockings this season - in place of iPods.

aussie_geek

18. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Not when they're watching the review of it on CNN they won't.

19. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Zune is now available! I celebrated the event!

By buying a second generation iPod shuffle! Wow is that thing small and impressive! :D

20. nemaslov macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

Yes BUT YOU KNOW that very soon...probably in January at MACWORLD or soon therafter, THERE will be the widescreen iPod, possibly with wireless that means something... For me it is still only about the music and my 80GB iPods filled with 19,450 songs works great. So when will Apple release a 100GB VERSION??:p

21. war macrumors member

Is this whole thing underwhelming to anyone else?

After reading all the hype about the Zune I was expecting something amazing. However, after reading some sites about the thing I find it to be a rather underwhelming product. It already has software problems posted about it, its aesthetic features can't compare to an iPod and its only claim to fame is a radio and some song sharing feature. In the 3 years I have owned an iPod I have never once wanted a radio since there isn't any good music played on commercial radio stations anymore. On top of that I have never wanted to share a song with anyone. I burn CDs for friends as most haven't made the leap to an MP3 player yet. Now to buy music I would have to use MS currency and even worse I would have to use windows. Thanks but not thanks. I will stick with my iPod. Besides it usually takes MS a few versions to get anything right (or at least usable). I suspect that version 3.0 might be something to talk about but that is off in the future and who knows what the iPod world will look like by then.

22. tbazani macrumors newbie

tbazani

they can´t use WMP11 to sync with zune... that´s horrible! i can´t believe it. poor zune users...

and actually... i never wanted to TRADE songs. anyone felt this need before?

zune will consume itself.

23. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Can This Possibly Be Right??

It appears, checking out the Zune site, that you cannot access the ZuneMarketplace without having a zune. Is that right? Or have I missed something. If it is the case that you have to buy a zune to get to the marketplace... talk about buying a pig in a poke!:eek:

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That CNN link made my day.

Tech junkies aside, THAT'S what the rest of the world sees.

25. fixyourthinking macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

A funny joke at Office Depot

An Office Depot manager said the following to me:

1) There's obviously something up with a product if there is a non working Demo on display

Then he asked me to spell "iPod"

I said "I-P-O-D"

He said, "now spell Zune"

I said, "Z-U-N-E"

He said, "No, it's spelled "I-P-O-S"

Everyone has been saying it's similar to the iPod - I think this spelling is the only similarity.