iPod Zune seen as iPod fake at airport

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
104
0
This may be a rumored story but I saw this when looking at a Microsoft rumor site. Seems like the airport security thought the Zune was suspicious because it looked so similar to an iPod that it looked like a fake device. That's what I got out of it anyway...let me know what you think.
_________________________________________________________
Microsoft Zune vs. Heightened Airport Security

A reader sent in this tip about the clash between a friend and airport security, with a little bit of Microsoft Zune thrown in. Apparently, this Microsoft-insider friend was flying somewhere today, and when he got to the security check, officials made him check his laptop and cellphone. All fairly normal considering today's events.

The interesting part comes when security saw the Microsoft Zune in his bag. Since they don't recognize it—it's not an iPod, so who would—they made him surrender the prototype and mailed it back to his office. They wouldn't even let him put it in his checked luggage!

So, apparently some US airports are following UK airports and are forcing passengers to check all gadgets before boarding. More news as we hear it. – Jason Chen
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
AHAHAHAHAHA, thats awesome :p :D

in any case, that kind of security is ridiculous.

and why is this in the games forum?
 

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
3,416
12
Up the irons
We seroiusly need to pay/hire more TSA agents that have greater intelligence than a mentally challenged door knob. Ive overheard agents talking to others and didn't know Montana was a state...
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,576
2,887
KingYaba said:
We seroiusly need to pay/hire more TSA agents that have greater intelligence than a mentally challenged door knob. Ive overheard agents talking to others and didn't know Montana was a state...
I absolutely love people like you. The British papers are full of it at the moment (since the air plot). What would you rather have? Security forces that disregard these sort of details, that say "oh it's nothing" and it turns out to destroy a plane or 2?
Even on BBC News 24 they interviewed a distraught passenger on a plane who complained that these recent attacks have caused her delays in flying, and was "at her wits end".

I'd rather be safe than dead any day.

"oh this? this is just baby milk" says the terrorist about to blow up some planes. he gets on the plane and kills **** loads of people. the end.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,101
404
raggedjimmi said:
I absolutely love people like you. The British papers are full of it at the moment (since the air plot). What would you rather have? Security forces that disregard these sort of details, that say "oh it's nothing" and it turns out to destroy a plane or 2?
Even on BBC News 24 they interviewed a distraught passenger on a plane who complained that these recent attacks have caused her delays in flying, and was "at her wits end".

I'd rather be safe than dead any day.

"oh this? this is just baby milk" says the terrorist about to blow up some planes. he gets on the plane and kills **** loads of people. the end.
We'll see you say that when they confiscate your M3 and DS Lite saying, "That thing sticking out doesn't look like a game..." :p
 

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
8,201
0
sitting on your shoulder
raggedjimmi said:
I absolutely love people like you. The British papers are full of it at the moment (since the air plot). What would you rather have? Security forces that disregard these sort of details, that say "oh it's nothing" and it turns out to destroy a plane or 2?
Even on BBC News 24 they interviewed a distraught passenger on a plane who complained that these recent attacks have caused her delays in flying, and was "at her wits end".

I'd rather be safe than dead any day.

"oh this? this is just baby milk" says the terrorist about to blow up some planes. he gets on the plane and kills **** loads of people. the end.
But where does it end? You could take nearly anything and make it into a bomb so as to bring down a plane. Pretty soon, all we'll be able to do on a flight is sleep, watch whatever bland entertainment is available, or stare at the seat back in front of you.
 

stoid

macrumors 601
Counterfit said:
But where does it end? You could take nearly anything and make it into a bomb so as to bring down a plane. Pretty soon, all we'll be able to do on a flight is sleep, watch whatever bland entertainment is available, or stare at the seat back in front of you.
I'm going to start building planes with locked individual cells where passengers will be stripped naked and strapped to the wall with heavy elastic bands and feeding tubes 'for their protection'. Any investors?
 

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
3,416
12
Up the irons
Shouldn't we leave security up to individual airlines? So you have stoid's airline that is super safe, yet super invasive and downright humiliating, but it's for your protection

Or you can fly the less secure airline because you think this terror thing overblown and hate those pesky touchy-fealy TSA agents. :eek:
 

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
2,414
0
The Library.
KingYaba said:
Shouldn't we leave security up to individual airlines? So you have stoid's airline that is super safe, yet super invasive and downright humiliating, but it's for your protection
if the feeding tubes were removed nd certain people were on the plane, stoid's airline may not be too terrible;) :p
 

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
1,767
1
musiclover137 said:
This may be a rumored story but I saw this when looking at a Microsoft rumor site.
Do you even get those:rolleyes: :eek:

WTF is the point if M$ only releases a new (crappy) product every 8 ****ing years?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,576
2,887
dextertangocci said:
Do you even get those:rolleyes: :eek:

WTF is the point if M$ only releases a new (crappy) product every 8 ****ing years?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Armando Iannucci said that we all made a big mistake in our lives, usually 8 years ago.

If you don't know who he is, he's a surreal comedian. but his comment made a bit of sense, 8 years ago I had the option of going to a grammar school :eek: 8 years before that I think I lost £10.

Counterfit said:
But where does it end? You could take nearly anything and make it into a bomb so as to bring down a plane. Pretty soon, all we'll be able to do on a flight is sleep, watch whatever bland entertainment is available, or stare at the seat back in front of you.
I know there isn't going to be an easy answer. but with the rising threats from these terrorists then I don't care what measures they go to. just keep me, my family and the people below safe. Heaven forbid they ban electronics and we have to talk to each other or read a book.
I'd propose they'd up the quality of the TV/Radio on planes. stick a load of computers somewhere pumping out TV on demand stuff. a few terrabytes of H.254 or DivX would be dandy.
 

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
4,093
218
raggedjimmi said:
I'd propose they'd up the quality of the TV/Radio on planes. stick a load of computers somewhere pumping out TV on demand stuff. a few terrabytes of H.254 or DivX would be dandy.
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I just don't see it happening. Whether it's the fact that (the majority of) people are scared to fly or something else, almost every single airline here in the US is loosing money. They've cut out playing cards, drinks (of the non-alcoholic nature) and even peanuts from flights. The airlines are doing everything they can just to try to break even. So like I said earlier, I really don't see them putting the new technology on the planes to try to entertain the passengers.

I also agree that safety for myself and my family would be my number one concern on any flight.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
hmmmmm...

I flew home on Monday and I just realized that I never took my iPod out of my bag... I took out my MacBook, camera, GPS, and cell phone, but I forgot the iPod. Interesting.

Anyway, back on topic:

That story is hilarious (although I doubt it's true).
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,511
8
Behind the lens
According to a friend who has worked the TSA for over a year now....its at his discretion. Pretty much anything within his job's duties, he does or does not do based on his discretion.

Of course he must treat everyone the same, pissing off alot of people of course.

but its up to him whether an electronic device is suspect or not, i believe.

so, obviously, the TSA agent in the OP just wasnt really electronically inclined.

arent there ALOT of cheap iPod looking knockoffs?


he says the late night garbage cleaning crew could make out like bandits. but i dont think legally they "can".
 

stunna

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2005
83
0
raggedjimmi said:
I absolutely love people like you. The British papers are full of it at the moment (since the air plot). What would you rather have? Security forces that disregard these sort of details, that say "oh it's nothing" and it turns out to destroy a plane or 2?
Even on BBC News 24 they interviewed a distraught passenger on a plane who complained that these recent attacks have caused her delays in flying, and was "at her wits end".

I'd rather be safe than dead any day.

"oh this? this is just baby milk" says the terrorist about to blow up some planes. he gets on the plane and kills **** loads of people. the end.

Good point
 

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
568
0
Hades
that's pretty funny actually. it would've been better if they cracked it open and it ended up not being usable.
 

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
381
0
I'm going to start building planes with locked individual cells where passengers will be stripped naked and strapped to the wall with heavy elastic bands and feeding tubes 'for their protection'. Any investors?
IM IN! ....well as long as it is on Hooters Air!

:p

Kevin