Zune Software compatibility?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dynomite, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Dynomite macrumors newbie

Before you say anything. I use zune and not Ipod because Zune has subscriptions and I like that a lot. Has Ipod done this yet? Well anyway do you think The zune software will ever be compatible with Mac? I was thinking about it and since PC has most of the sales in computers I would think it would cost more money to make it compatible then they would make in sales.. If Ipod get/has subscriptions I would gladly switch but as of now it doesn't that I know of. I'm just hoping Microsoft will eventually make it compatible.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Microsoft won't do it. They want people to buy Windows. What would be the point, hardly anyone wants a Zune.

4. Dynomite thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see why when it is considerably better than the Ipod. But hey Ipod is lucky it came first.. :rolleyes:

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

its not considerably better, it's plastic for god's sake. and and the colors are ugly, the brown one with the green plastic... ugh. and my friend got one for christmas and all he did was drop it from about 6 inches onto his desk and the screen shattered and the plastic screen (yea, cheap screen) cut him and he had stitches. after that, he went back to his ipod nano which he stepped on, smashed, dropped, kicked around, etc.. but imho, ms won't make it mac compatible, simply b/c they want more sales.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'd be nice if the Zune had software for OS X but it isn't going to happen.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you are THE Zune user. I've always heard there was at least one out there but it's never been confirmed until now.:eek:

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It wasn't lucky. Microsoft only introduced the Zune and it's related software/marketplace because of the success that Apple was (and still is) enjoying with the iPod and iTunes. Unfortunately to date the Zune and it's software is not providing any real competition. I say unfortunately as competition would for Apple to make the iPod and iTunes even better.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's considerably better to have to pay monthly for your music? It's considerably better when, if you don't pay, you lose all rights to that music?

Also, the iPod was not first; there were several mp3 players on the market before the iPod came out. Apple just did it right. By "it" I mean the proper balance of hardware, software, and service. All others have become copycats.

10. kolax macrumors G3

I think he meant first, as in Apple appeared on the scene before Microsoft did. We all know Apple didn't invent the mp3 player ;)

11. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Isn't this really not the place to discuss this kind of thing? Since its up to Microsoft to provide the compatibility.

12. DDorian macrumors newbie

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it is considerably better than the iPod, how come Microsoft doesn't sell millions? iPod was just the first one to get it together.

14. Dynomite thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugly colors? It comes in the IPOD colors with like 3 extra... but okay. Well anyway I slammed my zune in my cardoor? Works great. Just because one kids broke doesn't mean anything. With your logic IPOD must be the worst Music player around because so many break..And yes I would rather have to pay monthly. I know every month I will keep paying so I don't have to worry about the songs not playing, and I get to download as many as I want. Instead of download all my music illegally like most of the Ipod users. (every ipod owner I know anyway)

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

exactly why i bought an iPod when i bought my mbp. the zune was fine for what i used it for. the software sucks though.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You chastise people for having a stereotype, but then you go on to throw out the most incorrect stereotype out there.

Just saying.

17. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Honestly, this thread isn't going to go anywhere.

No, Microsoft isn't going to make their software compatible with OS X. The end.

Actually, I find these threads interesting b/c sometimes it seems like it becomes a peeing contest between the iPod and Zune.:rolleyes: Use whatever makes you happy.

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

This is where people are at their most ignorant. It's a case of good things going unnoticed but then a huge fuss is made when one measly little bad thing occurs; of course it would look that way to you, but the fact is 99.9% of iPod owners won't experience any problems and in doing so won't go around saying "my iPod is working great!", it's just those few (not literally, few in comparison to the vast amount of iPod owners out there) that do have problems come on the internet and complain to try and get help; why would you come on the internet just to tell people that your iPod hasn't had any problems? The internet, in my experience, seems to just be used for flaming and complaining, only once in a while do you hear good things about products like the iPod because, as with the relationships between people themselves, good things get vastly overlooked and people instantly go and pick out anything negative.

Unless you know every single one of the millions upon millions of people that own an iPod then you can't fairly use that argument. The only time I have EVER downloaded music is through the iTunes Store. The iPod owners you know do not represent the majority of iPod users in any way, shape or form.

19. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

The Zune works perfectly ok with Windows running under the latest version of Parallels.

I bought an 80Gb external HD and installed Vista onto it with Paralells. The Zune connects as usual with the USB lead and passes through to Paralells without any issue. I'm not enough of a geek to do anything clever to get it to work, it just does. Plus, I have my music library also on the EHD, so don't fill up my Mac disk with MP3s that I hardly ever access.

http://the-aperture.com/mac-vista-screen.jpg

20. ihattwick macrumors newbie

I think the point the OP is making re: using an ipod if they switch to subscription models is a good idea. Personally, I would love to pay $10/month, or even $20, to have immediate and unlimited access to all new music.

Back to the OP question, it sounds like peteb has the right solution.

21. tjumper macrumors newbie

what!

There are a lot of us zune users out here right off the top of my head I can name at least 160 of us.:cool:

22. playingthekeys macrumors newbie

zune for mac

yeah, microsoft's just wants the cash, that's all.
    really, about all you can do with a zune on a mac is charge it. i tried it yesterday. that's about all you can do if you don't use windows with parallels. that's good because my windows desktop is infected with a virus, so at least i can still charge it.