Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Ok,

So I have a question... If I purchase a Zune can I use it on my MacBook over Fusion? Also, since they have such a great deal with monthly fees rather than doing .99 per song, is there a way to download songs for my zune then transfer them over to leopard and put them on iTunes?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Also, since they have such a great deal with monthly fees rather than doing .99 per song...

Sarcasm? Are you saying that for a flat fee, Zune users can steal as much music as their Internet connection can handle?

If you can get the files on to your Fusion partition, you can just move them to your OS X partition. Converting is another matter, but it shouldn't be hard.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Ewww. Yes, that should work. But why??? Also, no you couldn't transfer them into iTunes, I'm pretty sure that would violate the EULA, and be illegal.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I'm not being sarcastic or trying to do anything illegal. Was just wondering... Because my brother has a zune and downloads however much he wants. So if it was legal then it sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not out to break any rules or laws.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I'm not being sarcastic or trying to do anything illegal. Was just wondering... Because my brother has a zune and downloads however much he wants. So if it was legal then it sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not out to break any rules or laws.

He doesn't own the songs though, it's more a monthly rental service I believe.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I see... Yea, I have no idea how the zune service thing works... That was why I was asking.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So you're saying that Zune users don't even own the songs they pay for? They pay the monthly fee and if they don't the songs are deleted?

I don't think they are deleted, they just become unusable. I believe, if not, they become illegal to play, and if you're planning on stealing the music, why pay in the first place?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don't think they are deleted, they just become unusable. I believe, if not, they become illegal to play, and if you're planning on stealing the music, why pay in the first place?

Exactly. Why be forced to pay monthly for songs that you won't legally own if you don't when you could simply pay $0.99 a song and own them until the end of time?

I sound like that Oxi-clean guy... Maybe I should repost this in all caps; doesn't seem to understand volume control, does he?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Ah well, at least we all know now... Thanks for the help guys/ladies... Guess I will be sticking to iTunes.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Apprently, "As an alternative to the Microsoft Points, users pay a monthly flat fee called the Zune Pass that costs US$14.99. This allows a member to download and participate in Zune Marketplace content for a flat monthly fee. The Zune Pass allows to download songs, with exceptions of those required to pay points for. Zune Pass downloads cannot be burned to Audio CD and will become unplayable when the subscription lapses, and while the subscription is up-to-date, it can not be burned or synced to anything but a Zune."

So yes, they don't own the songs. It is quite a foolish system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.