Zunes Vs iPods - its fight time!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by JW8725, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Well Microsoft and Apple are going head to head here. Trying not to be bias and choosing on looks and function alone, what would ye go for and why?

[​IMG]

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, Zune has about 2% of the MP3 market, so that speaks volumes about which they would rather have.

i'd go for the iPod. Better on so many different levels.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Zune is technologically very nice, but iTunes is the dominant store model and the iPod also has Nike+ as a killer app. I don't have any real interest in updating my Nano to a newer one (it's a 2nd gen -- I use it only for running), but if I did, it would be to another device that can use NikePlus.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

iPod, and I don't think there's really any comparison.

Off the top of my head: (I haven't read the above posts yet, either)

1. I've had lots of experience with M$ products in the past. On every occasion, they sucked. I wouldn't take a chance on another.

2. I want to make sure I can play my tunes in my car without wasting lots of time trying to find a little-known product that works good.

3. It is important to me to have enough accessories to adapt my music play to the world around me: I have no clue what you can do with a Zune - However, I know exactly what brand to look for to turn my iPod into a digital recorder.

4. I like running. Zune + Nike? I don't think so.

5. I don't know a single person who has a Zune - therefore, no one to squirt with. (Or is it squirt on?)

6. I tried the Zune software and it crashed my computer (WinXP no less) - three times. I gave up in the end. iTunes just works

7. I've already got my music library in iTunes/iPod. I'm not wasting time changing simply to test whether the Zune really is any good (which I doubt... see No. 1, above)

8. With my iPod, I am more culturally in-tune. Small reason, but a reason nonetheless.

9. I am confident that Apple is committed to quality - if I have a problem or if the software has a problem, I know it will either be resolved in the next update or at the very least customer service will be the best available.

10. iTunes is the go-to resource for movies, TV shows, songs, etc. No other store can match it's ability all the way around.

Edit: and No. 11: I'm addicted to the little scroll wheel and CoverFlow.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yep. i vote ipod b/c of nike+

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I'm just wondering how long we will wait for someone to say "Zune".

I think that Zune looks like the original iPod nano design - except its blue - but a rather ugly blue.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I prefer the looks and color options of the nano and I really like iTunes, both as a store and a music management app. Zune is not Mac compatible, yet anyways... Besides, prior bad experiences with MS products make me reluctant to throw more money at them.

Still, I wish Apple used bigger font for the main menu instead of wasting screen space with these tiny pics at the bottom.

8. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Yeah, I prefer an iPod tbh. I know a friend who has a Zune and he got rid of it after 3 months because the battery sucked. He's now got an iPod touch :cool:

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Zune doesn't work with Macs. Therefore it loses.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That was what I was going to say. It doesn't matter how many amazing features an MP3 player has if it doesn't work with my computer I won't buy it.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I quite like both, but I'd still pick the Sony, despite the fact that it won't pair with a phone to act as a handset (my ideal).

The Applezombie blogger over at engadget didn't love it. The level of naked Steve-blinkeredness in the article and in general among the miserable excuse for tech 'journalists' these Apple-addicted blogs have is quite laughable, but there you go. http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/01/video-hands-on-sonys-nwz-a829-walkman-with-bluetooth/

I think it's on balance better than the Nano, provided you have the software to match - which, under Windows, I do.

EDIT: I would like to change my mind, only I can't as the Zune Subscription service is not available in the UK. If it was, Zune 3.0 looks to be slightly awesome.