Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I was so specific just in case it's with this model somehow.

So, riding along 5 minutes in and the screen goes 'Poltergeist' and the trainer (Hammer H2) drops out of ERG mode (probably because the ANT+ dropped too), I panic, click the track pad a couple of times, open the lid (using the Apple HDMI/USB/USB-C dongle for input to a TV and ANT+ bug), the video comes back, close the lid. Less than a minute later, same thing, Poltergeist screen again. I pull the plug on riding.

I'm thinking it's a power issue, but not sure. I've ridden over a hundred miles now with no issues, and all of the sudden the trainer has tripped out, and now today.

Would a power blip that would cause the MBP to freakout also effect lights and other things? And how third world does our power have to be to be this flaky. There aren't any huge industries in the area, and I've never noticed the lights dimming. It's too soon for A/C too.

This is starting to drive me crazy. Power issues are the worst to identify...

Could it also be the adapter? The port it's plugged into? The HDMI cable?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this issue. And outside of Zwift, is this a symptom that is seen by others?

Thanks...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
SO...

I've resurrected a 'mid-2014' MacBook Pro 13", and it's working better than I could imagine. Although I tried to upgrade the RAM, and swap the storage, only to discover that the RAM is hard soldered in, and the damned SSD is proprietary, and all I can find is one for almost $400.

I really am getting tired of Apple's crap... I actually looked for a notebook with an HDMI port, and found a Lenovo Yoga that looks promising, and for only about $100 more than the proprietary SSD.

Although this MBP has the original fabulous keyboard and touch pad, and my fingers are getting a workout from both of them. Apple isn't wrong, the 'butterfly keyboard', and their new track pad is easier to use, but it's the wrong solution to a problem that didn't really exist. Like I would loath a totally flat keyboard, one with active places on a glass panel for the 'keys'. I don't care how someone would dress that up, I'll do without thanks...
[doublepost=1554142661][/doublepost]And btw, is the new new accessory keyboard the 'butterfly' keyboard too? If so, I'll pass and get something from someone else.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Are you using the Apple "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter"?

If you get a good connection with the 2014 MBP (which has a native HDMI port), I'm guessing that's what it is. If you look at their product page, 2 of the 3 reviews mention problems with video anomalies with this adapter.
https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/...A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

Thanks for that. Why am I not surprised. After getting hideous smelling cables, and now a dongle is a POC? Does Apple even care anymore? The USB-C cables I got were horrible. They smelled like they had been boiled in a toxic sludge.

So, like some have said, I'm getting tired of the BS, and thinking of ditching Apple notebooks. Far too many compromises and ridiculous BS support. I'm just waiting for the keyboard in that 2016 touch-bar MBP to go tits up.

I can almost see Apple going the way of someone like Sum Microsystems. Doing software only, until they just get bought out and disassembled. Their focus is gone. They seem to just be phoning it in now, no pun intended. They have so many different models of their products out now, they are drowning in inventory I'll bet.

Perhaps they should just port the MacOS to any PC version, and just become a phone and gizmo company. With all the effort that went into the damn butterfly keyboard, and the new old Mac Pro, it would be cheaper in the long run... Winning back burned customers isn't going to be easy. I'm disappointed in them. I hate to think of going to Windows, but I did check the notebooks I have, and none of them had an HDMI port but this one, and it's a damned closed box. GRRRRRR!!! I just hope this old MBP doesn't overheat and meltdown.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought it could be power, as we've had some power issues lately. Much appreciated.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I was not aware that this type of adapter existed before I read your post and as I looked at this adapter, I said "Hmmm - I wonder how they do this?" It'll take some time to do more research on the web but my guess without the benefit of the research is that they must be multiplexing the USB and DisplayPort signal and in the adapter, they de-multiplex the two signals and convert the DisplayPort signal into HDMI. Plus they do the power thing in the adapter as well. In looking at some reviews in Amazon, which is better because they have far more reviews than the Apple site, it gets 4 stars but a lot of people do have problems with it. Likewise the cheaper (about $30+ cheaper) adapters, while they have an overall better rating, also cause problems for a good number of people. So there's something in general with this technology that either has problems at this point or the cost of a reliable adapter is higher than what most people will spend so the companies just put out what they can and just hope it works for the majority of the people who buy them.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I was not aware that this type of adapter existed before I read your post and as I looked at this adapter, I said "Hmmm - I wonder how they do this?" It'll take some time to do more research on the web but my guess without the benefit of the research is that they must be multiplexing the USB and DisplayPort signal and in the adapter, they de-multiplex the two signals and convert the DisplayPort signal into HDMI. Plus they do the power thing in the adapter as well. In looking at some reviews in Amazon, which is better because they have far more reviews than the Apple site, it gets 4 stars but a lot of people do have problems with it. Likewise the cheaper (about $30+ cheaper) adapters, while they have an overall better rating, also cause problems for a good number of people. So there's something in general with this technology that either has problems at this point or the cost of a reliable adapter is higher than what most people will spend so the companies just put out what they can and just hope it works for the majority of the people who buy them.

Yeah, I didn't even think of checking Apple's reviews. I guess mainly because they usually have either such a low sample size, or a bunch of people being dicks and over dramatic. I looked at the white Belkin one, and then realized I don't need an adapter now (yet). It does seem to be a pretty busy little adapter. I also got the VGA adapter due to projectors I sometimes use, and now just won't use that notebook any longer. I'm stuck wondering what I will be able to use it for. Doorstop? I'm so disappointed in Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.