Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes relays a Commercial Times report that Taiwan-based Wintek will supply touch panels for "Apple's new netbook" due in the 3rd quarter of 2009.
Wintek revealed that it is currently working with Apple to develop some new products, but it said it does not know what applications the new products are for.
While Winktek was unable to confirm the exact products, the Chinese-language newspaper claims that Apple will be releasing a new "netbook" for later this year.

The "netbook" term is one that has been traditionally applied to low-cost miniaturized notebooks. It's a market that Apple has officially denied interest in.

Still, there have been long-running whispers that Apple has been working on a true "sub" notebook which may correspond to these rumors. Commercial Times has had a mixed record in predicting Apple's products based on supply chain reports, but has had some seemingly accurate data in the past.

Article Link: Touch Panels for Apple Netbook Ordered?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Late to the game as usual. By the time they get this product out, everyone else will be on their third generation of netbooks. These days $350 will buy you a netbook with 9 hours of battery life.

And how much will this thing cost??

I'll believe it when I see it.

(I *want* to believe, truly, but have learned to become highly skeptical, in light of a number of recent design and pricing decisions by Apple...)

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
And so The Cycle begins again... ;) Infinite Loop indeed.

An obscure component manufacturer somewhere in the Pacific Rim announces a major order for some bleeding-edge piece of technology that could conceivably become part of an expensive, digital-lifestyle-enhancing nerd toy.

phoenix78

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Touch screens @ netbook size?

It would have to be pretty darn special in features.

Netbooks are popular for their price and portability. Apple has no concept of cheap pricing.

I hope they dont think of making an iphone-type interface for a netbook. Kinda like the linux MID interface. Those suck badly.

Meh...

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
I seriously hope Apple doesn't release a netbook...EVER. Smaller doesn't necessarily equate to better. Every netbook I've played around with was painful in terms of the keyboard size--the Asus ones are even worse because they decided to put the L and R mouse click buttons on the sides and it's awkward to use ...beyond awkward. The keys are clumsy and small - the thing is just impossible to use.

The tablet idea to me is DEAD. Toshiba, Asus and others tried the table computer years ago - do they even sell them anymore? They were overpriced and just a novelty -- not something that did anything for productivity. Plus you look like a geek carrying one around...kinda like people who walk around with Bluetooth in their ear ALL DAY LONG, waiting for a call.

The iPhone/iTouch is the platform Apple needs to keep pushing...this past weekend I was away on a camping/canoeing weekend and had my iPhone with me (left the MacBook Pro at home). I was able to text several people, send all the e-mails I needed to send; my wife calls me and tells me the Social Security card for our newborn arrived and gave me the number...while sitting on a canoe (taking a break) I logged on to my bank/insurance company, added our baby and opened up a joint savings account for her...all from my iPhone.

Did I make typing mistakes on the iPhone keyboard? Absolutely, but if I had to choose between a crummy netbook to carry around and an iPhone/Touch the choice is easy. Just like handheld computing (Windows/Palm based Pocket PC's/Palm Pilots) this netbook fad will die fast and I think it's because they don't do enough (they're good for email and web and that's about it whereas an iPhone can do that and talk, text, run apps, download music etc.).

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
If they produce a reasonably-priced tablet style portable then I'll be happy. Call it a netbook if you want, the definition gets fuzzier and fuzzier every day as it seems to describe everything ranging from smart-phones to pretty powerful laptops these-days!

A good-sized touch-screen portable, with modest (1.0 to 1.4 ghz?) processor, 512mb RAM and decent storage (hard-drive? Small SSD's are pointless and big ones are expensive!) is all that's needed to make a great little device.

moracity

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Late to the game as usual. By the time they get this product out, everyone else will be on their third generation of netbooks. These days $350 will buy you a netbook with 9 hours of battery life.

And how much will this thing cost??

I'll believe it when I see it.

(I *want* to believe, truly, but have learned to become highly skeptical, in light of a number of recent design and pricing decisions by Apple...)

That's exactly what people said about some silly mp3 player call the iPod.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like with the iPhone? :rolleyes:

Apple will likely reinvent the netbook and within six months other manufacturers will be producing copies described as MacBook Touch killers ;)

I agree. Apple does not follow trends, they set them. It doesn't matter how "late" they are to the game of netbooks. It's a market that screams of desperation, and Apple is not desperate in any way. They will take their time, and then come out with a trend-setting product that they feel people will want and need.

I saw some netbooks yesterday, and have to admit that the idea is intriguing. But I think they're still a novelty.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I seriously hope Apple doesn't release a netbook...EVER. Smaller doesn't necessarily equate to better. Every netbook I've played around with was painful in terms of the keyboard size--the Asus ones are even worse because they decided to put the L and R mouse click buttons on the sides and it's awkward to use ...beyond awkward. The keys are clumsy and small - the thing is just impossible to use.

I absolutely agree. I wish that the MacBook did come in 12" with the same processing power as the current 13.3" version.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
...this past weekend I was away on a camping/canoeing weekend and had my iPhone with me (left the MacBook Pro at home). I was able to text several people, send all the e-mails I needed to send; my wife calls me and tells me the Social Security card for our newborn arrived and gave me the number...while sitting on a canoe (taking a break) I logged on to my bank/insurance company, added our baby and opened up a joint savings account for her...all from my iPhone.
This was quite sad reading. Did you even want to go on this trip? Thank God nature didn't interfere with your phone signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.