Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
My 4.3 doesn't have the new gesture options

Upgraded to 4.3. I have the option to change the switch from mute to rotate lock, but I dont have the option listed under that to turn on the new gestures. Anyone else having this issue? I was going to include a screenshot showing that they weren't listed, but I'm posting this from my iPad and can't paste that into the post.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Upgraded to 4.3. I have the option to change the switch from mute to rotate lock, but I dont have the option listed under that to turn on the new gestures. Anyone else having this issue? I was going to include a screenshot showing that they weren't listed, but I'm posting this from my iPad and can't paste that into the post.

Same problem here. Gestures switch is missing.

JimEJr

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
What?! No coverage of the Multitasking Gestures option below it!

Check out the setting below the red oval...swipe left or right between apps. I'd say that's a bit influenced by Palm's WebOS card format for app switching. Can that be done in Android OS too?

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005

Go back a few pages in this thread. Already been covered.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Wow thats really brilliant! And the new gestures will make the multitasking much handier than endlessly clicking that home button. Will probably make that switch last longer too.

Now my only software-gripe is that the lowest brightness is still too high, it really needs a lower setting (can be done in software like iBooks does it). I really hope they'll tix that too. I know some apps have it but it's not consistent and they don't all have it.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Here's what happened.

Steve was reading something on his iPad.
His hand got tired so he set the iPad on the desk in front of him.
The display rotated.
Steve cursed and called the VP of iOS demanding the option to have a hardware lock on screen rotation.

You mean "here's what happened last year when THAT change was made," not "here's what just happened now"?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Even more astonishing, is that Apple gave us the choice – although I can’t see how anyone would prefer the option of the mute switch. I haven’t touched that switch once, since the last update. I hope they also add a brightness control to the task switcher on the iPhone too.

JohnGregorio

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
For those who can't get gestures to work on iPad, do the following steps.

Connect your iPad to your Mac and launch Xcode. Once in Xcode, go to Windows > Organizer.

Find your iPad on the left, select it and then click "Use for development"

Gestures should activate.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Even more astonishing, is that Apple gave us the choice – although I can’t see how anyone would prefer the option of the mute switch. I haven’t touched that switch once, since the last update. I hope they also add a brightness control to the task switcher on the iPhone too.

I am the exact opposite. I guess I am a freak. I have used rotation lock once! and that was when I was about to play monopoly HD "tabletop mode" so I double tapped home, locked it, then when the 3-4 hour game was over I unlocked it. Other than that I have never used rotation lock,

on the other hand, I use mute switch everyday.

and brightness switcher for iphone is on cydia

side thought: when I use it as a mute switch it doesn't always work... sometimes it will start playing sounds, even though it is switched so I can see the orange, and yes I am on 4.2.1

Last edited:

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
The bad news is, now the home button automatically opens a facebook app. The only way to exit that app is by holding down the home button (now facebook button) and rapidly flicking the mute button on and off several times while blowing into the microphone. :(

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
UPDATE: The WiFi hotspot does indeed work with AT&T and the 2GB + Tethering plan.

When you connect an iPad (and I assume an iPod) to the iPhone it will show a new icon on the iPad status bar.

Attachments

• ipad.png
    ipad.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,641
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    134.6 KB · Views: 90

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I'm happy to see some flexibility come to Apple.

Little things like this which seem reasonably easy to accommodate shouldn't be a big deal for Apple.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Having the same issue...

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
He has always given you a choice: Visa, Mastercard, American Express...

:D

And all he has to do is pull out his iPhone with Morphie's CC reader case and he can even take discover! :p

Dumb! Thanks anyway!
Um, how is it dumb that in a release for paid app developers it requires you to be a dev to access the download?

Or do you complain that the DMV doesn't accept the payment for your parking tickets (which isn't their function)?
Great success!!! I've hated the mute button. Holding the volume down for a couple seconds was workign fine for me. I welcome the option to change it back.

I thought an email from Steve said that this would not happen. Am I remembering incorrectly?
From what others are recalling, it was "Not in the plan" vs. being "Never going to happen".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.