Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I would have preferred consistency over a choice. Let the switch have one purpose. Make me hold it for another purpose.

Why wouldn't I want a choice? Because I teach technology and I won't know what the switch does when I'm showing somebody else how to use their iPad, since I won't know how they set it. We can check the settings but it makes the lesson more complicated.

Of course, if I don't have a choice I'll hope Apple picks my personal preference as the switch's meaning!

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
Well the fact is a lot of people found the change to be very inconvenient. Those people (lots of them by the looks of it) complained to apple feedback. They are now VERY HAPPY as it looks like on this occasion Apple have listened to their customers and implemented their request.
But why should that be surprising? Isn't that what they're supposed to do?

TrickyTree1984

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very happy that they are back to what they had before it was taken away. Personally I would feel that it is what I deserve rather than very happy

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Still don't see why people care THIS much.

I don't understand either. I use the iPhone mute switch all the time, but hardly use the mute/lock switch at all. My iPad is in an apple case and I can hardly find where the switches are let alone that tiny switch and remember which way it goes.
Still nice to have a choice though.
I think the gestures are going to be much more useful than the switch thing. That home button is also hard to find.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
That wasn't really the point. In stead of saying "It's about time Apple listened to their customers" most people are thanking them.

Yeah but this is proof that Apple do listen. They have made changes in the past too, based on customer feedback.

But a lot of the time I do believe that Apple does know best. And I think they have proved it often enough over the years.

I understand apple have a bit of a rep for not listening, but sometimes it seems most of that comes from the kind of people that hang around on these forums Demanding dual core tablets running OS X to be shipped this month.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My thoughts exactly. 90% of the reason I jailbroke my iPad was to restore that functionality. It'll be nice to not have to do that anymore.

Stanners

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh please let this come to the iPhone too. I never turn off mute but I'm always having to double tap - swipe - tap to get rotation lock. Lame!

Also I would love to be able to permanently lock certain apps such as SMS.

No please don't. The mute switch is much more useful on the iPhone that it would be on the iPad. For example, when I need to mute the phone in a lesson at college. I hardly (if ever) use Orientation Lock on my iPhone anyway.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I updated and do not see any Multitouch Gesture options under the mute switch option - reset settings and did a restore - nothing is working - how did you get this enabled - did you install through xCode perhaps?

1. Start XCode, go to the Organizer and click "Use Device For Development" button for your iPad and then sign in with your PAID developer ID.
2. Quit Settings.app from multitasking
3. Open Settings.app

You should now see the new multi-touch gesture toggle.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have the same problem as you !

Solution found!!

You must open up X-Code and set your iPad as a development device - otherwise the setting is hidden - hopefully this will be in the GM without this stuff :( - got it working - works great!

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
But why should that be surprising? Isn't that what they're supposed to do?

Yeah sure.

Look people are displaying their happiness, don't be so negative towards that.

In previous threads complaining about the switch some people were actually telling posters not to bother sending Apple feedback as "they'll never listen, your waisting your time"

With comments like that going around these forums no wonder people thought it would never happen. But oh, it has, so they're happy.

Just shows that it's probably more worth while writting constructive feedback to Apple than having a huge rant on the MacRumors forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
1. Start XCode, go to the Organizer and click "Use Device For Development" button for your iPad and then sign in with your PAID developer ID.
2. Quit Settings.app from multitasking
3. Open Settings.app

You should now see the new multi-touch gesture toggle.

Thanks works like a charm - found it a while ago in the dev forums - I do hope this is in the final 4.3 - not sure why Apple did it this way

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
An all time high on ratio of positives to negatives...

199 to 4 as of this posting.

I just wish Apple had a bunch of multitasking gestures that I could assign to differnt functions. This is a good start though.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks works like a charm - found it a while ago in the dev forums - I do hope this is in the final 4.3 - not sure why Apple did it this way

I don't understand why either, unless it's a leftover switch from internal development. The requirement will probably be gone by beta 2 if Apple gets good response from the community about the new gestures.

I found it in the forums as well, but made sure I posted the fix here just in case someone hadn't hit the dev forums yet.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Good move. It never should have been changed from screen orientation lock.

Will still have to jailbreak for RetinaPad though. I still don't understand why Apple won't let us run "Retina" apps at native 960x640 resolution. Other than forcing people to buy two versions of the same app of course. Apple put profits before customers? Nah :rolleyes:

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
That makes sense. Now if Apple would only allow the volume buttons to be used to take a picture when the camera is on!! At least make it an option!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I would have preferred consistency over a choice. Let the switch have one purpose. Make me hold it for another purpose.

Why wouldn't I want a choice? Because I teach technology and I won't know what the switch does when I'm showing somebody else how to use their iPad, since I won't know how they set it. We can check the settings but it makes the lesson more complicated.

Of course, if I don't have a choice I'll hope Apple picks my personal preference as the switch's meaning!

Wow, you're seriously complaining about having this choice?

That's just sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.