Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IndianGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
It took like 15 minutes since I send him the money with paypal and he responded.
It said that its unlocked but I dont feel like restoring now.
And most imei check sites are down or showing inacurate info.
But since the seller is reputable and unlocked tons of iphones Im not really worried.

Did you get the email saying its unlocked?
I did too but that site seems to be down now.
I dont feel like doing a restore now, wanna do it for me and let me know if yours got the congrats message?

I got that email saying its unlocked. Did a restore but did not get congrats message. Doing it again just in case.

I am afraid since all the unlock sites are down and all, may be their unlock process also did not finish (if its all related, if at all).

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Took less than 10 mins for me and got the response saying that it is unlocked... have not tried the restore yet...

IndianGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Took less than 10 mins for me and got the response saying that it is unlocked... have not tried the restore yet...

I did restore once and it did not show any congratulations message. So I did erase all and and now it shows the message, hope its for real - going to use one spare t-mobile sim (got it free with 10 mins time on it) to confirm.

Let us know how does your restore go.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
I did restore once and it did not show any congratulations message. So I did erase all and and now it shows the message, hope its for real - going to use one spare t-mobile sim (got it free with 10 mins time on it) to confirm.

I did the exact same thing, and I also picked up a free T-Mobile Sim with 10 free minutes. It turns out you need a $10 activation kit to use it though. You can confirm your unlock with that though, if you put the sim in it will have you call T-Mobile to activate your phone. If that happens, you're unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Nice, that makes me more confident.
Once you see that message at least once its unlocked for good.
I dont have a Tmobile nanosim to check either but the sellers rep speaks for it self. I know in the past even though my phone was unlocked by AT&T it didnt show the message but worked with any sim.
That site http://s-url.ro/ shows it locked and other times server down.
Not sure if I can trust it 100%

XD9

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Unlocked.

66157_10151151265903836_196810372_n_zps11a365cc.jpg
[/IMG]

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I did the exact same thing, and I also picked up a free T-Mobile Sim with 10 free minutes. It turns out you need a $10 activation kit to use it though. You can confirm your unlock with that though, if you put the sim in it will have you call T-Mobile to activate your phone. If that happens, you're unlocked.

Did you get a nano sim or did you have to cut the one you got from T-Mobile?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Last edited:

IndianGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I cut the T-Mobile MicroSim down, it was really easy.

Cutting the sim was easy. But now I can't find anything to pop the sim tray - FML! With 4s I was able to do with pencil, but looks 5 is much harder to press :( not opening even with solid metal pin :|

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Cutting the sim was easy. But now I can't find anything to pop the sim tray - FML! With 4s I was able to do with pencil, but looks 5 is much harder to press :( not opening even with solid metal pin :|

:confused: paper clip did the trick for me.

TDW

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, can someone please post the guide how to cutsim card into a nano sim?

Thanks!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Damn so for $16.88 you can really permenantly unlock the iPhone 5? No risk and it works like it's supposed to and doesn't affect the warranty?

Seems great, would love to have that for when I travel to Europe.

IndianGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
WOW! This works!!!

Put in T-Mobile SIM, activated number and made a call to wife (in next room).
So now I can confirm that phone is unlocked!!!! wow!!

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 85

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010

I am guessing you are single. I am using wifey's earring studs to pop it open with no issues.

Jdsolid1

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I have two iPhone 5s from AT&T that I would like to unlock. My question is do the phones have to be active? I used my upgrade to get them but we might switch to Verizon so I didn't have them open the new phones. I just had them make sure my old phones were still working. I believe they had to activate the new phones but then deactivate them when I wanted them to switch back to my old phone. Hope this make sense, thanks!

diegosilang

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
It comes up "Unknown," which seems to confirm my suspicions about the Dev.MK site.

Did checked at iphoneox.com and my iPhone sim status is "unknown" as well. Although the Dev.mk site states unlocked.

Device IMEI: 01xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Product description: IPHONE 5
Telephone technical support: Active
Telephone support expiration date: December 20, 2012
Warranty(repairs and service coverage): Active
Warranty expiration date: September 20, 2013
Activation status: Activated
Is registered: Yes
Sim lock status: Unknown

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have two iPhone 5s from AT&T that I would like to unlock. My question is do the phones have to be active? I used my upgrade to get them but we might switch to Verizon so I didn't have them open the new phones. I just had them make sure my old phones were still working. I believe they had to activate the new phones but then deactivate them when I wanted them to switch back to my old phone. Hope this make sense, thanks!

Unfortunately you won't be able to use the AT&T phones on Verizon even if they are unlocked. The AT&T models don't have the CDMA radio activated, which is necessary to use Verizon's voice and 3G data networks. The Verizon model works on AT&T because it has the GSM radio activated (which it needs n order to roam overseas).

However, the good news is that if you switch to Verizon, the iPhone 5 you get from them will be unlocked so you can use a local SIM overseas, or for that matter even an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM here.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I paid $16.88 on eBay, and received the email that my iPhone 5 is now unlocked. I'm restoring now to confirm. I wanted to restore anyway, since I'm having wifi issues.

This is the auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160887533503&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

EDIT: After a restore, I DID get the "Congratulations, Your iPhone is Unlocked" message. The link above works, 100%.

Confirmed this link too. After restoring, I got the iTunes message that my iPhone has been unlocked!!

I am so excited :D

mascarato

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
if i buy a full price Att phone with no contract, will i be able to unlock it without activating first via itunes ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.