Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Well right now I still have the protective film on the back with which it shipped. That does attract fingerprints. I suspect it would without the cover too. But it doesn't matter too much as I will have a case on it soon.

That said when I can get an N4 bumper from Google it might be more of an issue--if I decide to go that route. The back is kind of cool looking to cover up.

As for switching... it is still an ongoing process. There are things I greatly like over iOS and somethings I miss--particularly notifications popping up when device is off, and appearing as a banner when it is on (or outright pop-up).

I AM starting to really like the little notification LED though, now that I finally have it configured with Light Flow.

I LOVE having the power control widget. It is even better than the iOS equivalent when jailbroken.

I LOVE that there is a builtin wifi hotspot. Was shocked to see this actually.

I DO miss iCloud calendars and contacts but I am getting used to Google instead.

I LIKE how this really is "post PC." I didn't need to connect to mac/pc for anything--not even once like I do on iOS to tell iTunes to sync wirelessly.

I DO wish it could be turned on with something other than the power switch. But that is mostly a minor issue.

I should also point out that there is a lot more to learn when going to Android. There are so many more options for almost everything--and for me that is a good thing. But I like to fully understand anything I use so I have been reading like crazy trying to get up to speed. I happen to enjoy that but if it is not your thing you might be a but overwhelmed.

Michael

Woah on the built-in WiFi hotspot! :eek:

It's great to see you giving the Nexus 4 a chance, and enjoying it.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Well right now I still have the protective film on the back with which it shipped. That does attract fingerprints. I suspect it would without the cover too. But it doesn't matter too much as I will have a case on it soon.

That said when I can get an N4 bumper from Google it might be more of an issue--if I decide to go that route. The back is kind of cool looking to cover up.

As for switching... it is still an ongoing process. There are things I greatly like over iOS and somethings I miss--particularly notifications popping up when device is off, and appearing as a banner when it is on (or outright pop-up).

I AM starting to really like the little notification LED though, now that I finally have it configured with Light Flow.

I LOVE having the power control widget. It is even better than the iOS equivalent when jailbroken.

I LOVE that there is a builtin wifi hotspot. Was shocked to see this actually.

I DO miss iCloud calendars and contacts but I am getting used to Google instead.

I LIKE how this really is "post PC." I didn't need to connect to mac/pc for anything--not even once like I do on iOS to tell iTunes to sync wirelessly.

I DO wish it could be turned on with something other than the power switch. But that is mostly a minor issue.

I should also point out that there is a lot more to learn when going to Android. There are so many more options for almost everything--and for me that is a good thing. But I like to fully understand anything I use so I have been reading like crazy trying to get up to speed. I happen to enjoy that but if it is not your thing you might be a but overwhelmed.

Michael

You dont miss the iPhone Camera? I do lol
And I guess it is true, for some reason the App store has an insane collection of apps that seem really sharp, look and run great on iOS, Playstore seems cluttered to me and the apps look grainy/not sharp
other than those 2 things I really like the Phone ( 1st Android) UI is great
I love that I can do certain things without having to jailbreak the phone

for $300 I can manage to live with this Phone vs $650 for the iPhone 5 that I sold to buy this ..

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You dont miss the iPhone Camera? I do lol

I don't really miss it. I think the N4 camera is getting a reputation as being worse than it is. There are many options when using the stock camera on the N4 that can improve pics. HDR--I think--really improves images, often in low lighting where the N4 gets dissed the most.

Also, the LED flash on the N4 seems about twice as bright as on my iPhone 4S. Good gawd when using a flashlight it will blind you if you look at it. That can be an advantage when taking a shot that is further away then the iPhone's flash can reach--or when taking video at night.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
And from there, I saw this. Woot!! 50GB!

I saw the offer elsewhere, and maybe it was here, but it's worth repeating.

50GB. Free.

Score.

Doesn't show 50GB for me when I logged into Box on my N4--in Chrome or in the app. :(

EDIT: I checked my account and it does indeed show I have 50GB. Not sure why I didn't get the popup.

Mike

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Doesn't show the 50GB extra for me when I logged into Box on my N4--in Chrome or in the app. :(

Mike
Weird. It did right away, once I registered (edit: and clicked the verification email) and logged in. I used the app, and my N4 is not rooted (yet).

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Weird. It did right away, once I registered (edit: and clicked the verification email) and logged in. I used the app, and my N4 is not rooted (yet).
I think I have it. :) I just didn't get the popup message like the photo in the article.

Michael

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Yeah ive been a victim of the usual "reported" whore too lol

Anyway the news about the drop of nexus 4 and came out without a scratch is a good one, found really weird that the verge reviewer broke hes.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've ordered the bumper. Not sure when it'll get here bit I will post impressions when it does arrive.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Time to start afresh with Nexus 4 discussion (at the behest of jsw in the other thread.

My initial impressions are positive. The device feels great in the hand but I do feel I'll baby it far more than I did my Galaxy Nexus due to the use of glass. A bumper/case is likely to be a must for me.

Very pleased with the HSPA+ speeds, getting 15 meg on the same network (Three UK) compared to just under 5 meg on my Galaxy Nexus.

A quick Geekbench yielded the following:
Nexus 7 1412
Galaxy Nexus 993
Nexus 4 1750

Will post more as I get to grips with it and hopefully others will join in too once they get their hands on it.

My only initial bug is the colour saturation on SAMOLED is far higher and after years of owning AMOLED phones, it could take a little getting used to. (Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S III have all burned my retinas with SAMOLED saturation).

Pleased thus far, I must say.

Initial impressions feel great just want to get my hands on it waiting for more post on this

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Some quick first impressions before lunch. Loving the screen and screen clarity real estate. Loving gesture typing so far. Love the back design it's subtle but very nice.

The touch response is still s step behind iOS but is still very good. I had forgotten how great voice typing is on android. Everything is very snappy like you would expect. Does get pretty hot. Feels good in the hand. No battery impressions just yet.

Happy so far with the switch. Only time will tell If I stay happy. I am very picky. But I feel good about this one!

Edit: lighter than expected
Edit2: its so freaking fast!!

Last edited:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Some quick first impressions before lunch. Loving the screen and screen clarity real estate. Loving gesture typing so far. Love the back design it's subtle but very nice.

The touch response is still s step behind iOS but is still very good. I had forgotten how great voice typing is on android. Everything is very snappy like you would expect. Does get pretty hot. Feels good in the hand. No battery impressions just yet.

Happy so far with the switch. Only time will tell If I stay happy. I am very picky. But I feel good about this one!

Hey what sort of problems you are having with the touch ?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Hey what sort of problems you are having with the touch ?

Just a few tries to hit certain buttons or links. It doesn't seem to track my finger quite as accurately add iOS. I feel like on the keyboard I can go to fast for it and it will miss a letter or two. Could just take some getting used to

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Just a few tries to hit certain buttons or links. It doesn't seem to track my finger quite as accurately add iOS. I feel like on the keyboard I can go to fast for it and it will miss a letter or two. Could just take some getting used to

Very interesting, because I feel exactly this way about iOS. Typing on my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3rd gen has been a real sore spot, with lots of missed keys and unregistered taps.

Ironically, I also get that when trying to launch apps sometimes with my iPad 3. It'll gray out the icon, but it won't actually launch.

The touch sensitivity is definitely different between both. I think after some time, you'll get used to it, especially with the screen size difference. You're navigating a much larger space with the keyboard now, both in height and width.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.