Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You say that this is an "Apple content distribution model", when the first OS that used a similar concept was a Linux distribution? Have you ever heard of Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center ?

A what distribution?

Thank you.

Yes, I've heard of them. Good ideas, poorly implemented, and wasted on the wrong operating system.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
It's more about working on both my Windows PC and OS X machines. Steam Cloud is another big plus too (pick up where I left off on another machine).

That alone is worth launching Steam for me personally. :)

Oh I see. It would be great if MAS would save app data/preferences in the cloud.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You're missing one major point here. Steam requires you to be logged in to play the games, therefore internet access is required to play games you bought.

No, it doesn't. And Aspyr is a Mac porting house, they don't make games, only port existing ones.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A what distribution?

Thank you.

Yes, I've heard of them. Good ideas, poorly implemented, and wasted on the wrong operating system.

Hmmm. LTD - let me ask you. What is your total experience with Ubuntu and Synaptic? Are you basing your opinions on articles you read/3rd party experience or hands-on practical knowledge?

Why do you say they are wasted on the wrong operating system. Please define "wrong."

Oh - and while you're at it - please define how they were "poorly" implemented.

Thanks - I look forward to your insight.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great job Aspyr.

I have already purchased a number of their titles on the Mac App store and hope they keep on coming! :D

----------

Oh - and while you're at it - please define how they were "poorly" implemented.

Lack of success = Poorly implemented.

If developers can't make money off a platform, then I'd say its poorly implemented.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
You're missing one major point here. Steam requires you to be logged in to play the games, therefore internet access is required to play games you bought.

gooffline.png

Not really.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Oh I see. It would be great if MAS would save app data/preferences in the cloud.

It still doesn't have a Wish List feature, one year later.

Agreed to both points! I'm sure they'll come at one point though.

But what I really want to see Game Center on the Mac. It would be the next logical step to approaching what Steam already does.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009

Apps from the Mac App store can utilise iCloud in the same way iOS apps can, Just not many developers have bothered to implement it.

iA Writer has great iCloud support across both platforms for example.

But what I really want to see Game Center on the Mac. It would be the next logical step to approaching what Steam already does.

I'd love to see game centre get an overhaul including mac support and some sort of community support like forums. OpenFeint had the feature list right but the interface was a mess.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Hmmm. LTD - let me ask you. What is your total experience with Ubuntu and Synaptic?

From March 2004 to February 2006. And we've got a fairly recent Ubuntu installation (Lucid) in the family as well, maintained by yours truly.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You're missing one major point here. Steam requires you to be logged in to play the games, therefore internet access is required to play games you bought. Can you imagine the uproar if Apple required us to be online to use apps we purchased from the App Store? You can't compare the two stores, they are totally different business models.

As far as Aspyr, I certainly hope that now they see the benefit of the MAS, and stop this "Windows-Only" mentality in regards to the latest game. Are they for real, Mac users can only play Call of Duty 4??? GTFOH.

Clearly you're not a steam user. It has an offline mode.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'd love to see game centre get an overhaul including mac support and some sort of community support like forums. OpenFeint had the feature list right but the interface was a mess.

Yea, same here. An overhaul of Game Center would be welcomed.

Also, once they've integrated iChat and iMessage in Lion, they could even tie iMessage in to Game Center so you'd have chat right there. It would also be nice if iMessage could also display what game you currently are playing and to let other players join in your game via drop down menu from your status (much like Steam currently), just like how you can display what iTunes song you're currently playing on iChat, and it will take the other person directly to the iTunes store.

charmin5229

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Happy birthday mac app store..im sure it will continue its success.

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
My Lion shipped Mac Mini shows that I "purchased" all sorts of Apple Software in the Mac App Store - that I did not. I have yet to purchase anything. So I have to wonder if those purchased numbers, like iPhoto, iMovie and Lion, are inflated by purchases that came with hardware.

Reading the article would have answered this question for you.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If we are talking solely about games, I would go with Steam regardless. You get the sales, matchmaking, and not to mention it works just fine on Windows.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
Clearly you're not a steam user. It has an offline mode.

Fair enough, I did know about the offline mode but never used it. However it still doesn't change the fact that for any online play it requires you to be connected to Steam. My point (which obviously wasn't written) was the MAS doesn't require you to be connected to it for any online use of the games/software you bought, Steam does. If I'm still wrong feel free to correct me.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
i think the Mac App Store is a good thing. i just think that there is one thing missing to make it really good:

Trials. there are a lot of Apps that i'd like to give a chance, but since i can't try them or justify trying out i pass them up and don't bother.

I absolutely agree. I always visit the developer’s website and, luckily, many of them offer trial versions. However, there is another factor that has an impact on my purchasing behaviour: the lack of reviews in smaller MAS. Many apps have either not been purchased or reviewed by other customers, which makes it less compelling to give it a shot. Considering that there really are some rubbish apps out there, I am not really inclined to spend many on an app that I cannot test before or has not been reviewed by others. Apple could just add a global ranking too, to make it more exact right away.

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Fair enough, I did know about the offline mode but never used it. However it still doesn't change the fact that for any online play it requires you to be connected to Steam. My point (which obviously wasn't written) was the MAS doesn't require you to be connected to it for any online use of the games/software you bought, Steam does. If I'm still wrong feel free to correct me.

And being signed into steam sucks because.....?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Steam (in that case) is acting like GameCenter (which the Mac doesn't have). So the comparison may not be fair.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My point (which obviously wasn't written) was the MAS doesn't require you to be connected to it for any online use of the games/software you bought, Steam does. If I'm still wrong feel free to correct me.

Forgive me if I'm missing something but for online use of games, you need to be online so the fact you're online means you'll be able to connect to steam anyway? (Writing that did my head in a little... :p)

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
I'll be honest, I don't really like the Mac App Store. 3. While I really like Apple products, a 30% seems pretty greedy to me, especially for higher ticket items.

30% is better than any brick and mortar store will take from you. Dealing with online transaction and bandwidth overages and multiple downloads and security will cost you at least 30%.

Kagi only handles the transaction portion and when I was looking at them it was costing me 6% but with all of these clauses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.