Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Fair enough, I did know about the offline mode but never used it. However it still doesn't change the fact that for any online play it requires you to be connected to Steam. My point (which obviously wasn't written) was the MAS doesn't require you to be connected to it for any online use of the games/software you bought, Steam does. If I'm still wrong feel free to correct me.

And Aspyer makes you use GameSpy most of the time. EA will eventually force us to use Origin (if they ever get it on Macs). There really isn't any issue there as Steam is:

1.) A Store
2.) Game Preference Cloud Storage (and limited image/file storage)
3.) Chat System (audio and text)
4.) Matchmaking service

Developer don't have to use Steam for matching making but many small developers who use the Source Engine as their base do.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I'm still amazed how many Windows (actually 'anti mac") folks believe that with the introduction of the Mac App store it is now the only way to install software on a Mac. i.e. They believe all apps on a mac have to be approved by Apple ala the iPhone.

So much ignorance.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
False again. Thats only required if that specific title exclusively utilizes Steam matchmaking, which many do not.

So you're saying that if someone buys a game off Steam and wants to play online elsewhere outside of Steam this is possible? I was unaware of that.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I'm still amazed how many Windows (actually 'anti mac") folks believe that with the introduction of the Mac App store it is now the only way to install software on a Mac. i.e. They believe all apps on a mac have to be approved by Apple ala the iPhone.

So much ignorance.

there are still people who think that the only way to get music on a Mac/iPhone/iPod is to buy it from iTunes. there is a lot of ignorance out there. its sad and discouraging, especially since its quite easy to find out the real answers so easily.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
So you're saying that if someone buys a game off Steam and wants to play online elsewhere outside of Steam this is possible? I was unaware of that.
If that game was not written to exclusively use steam matchmaking, yes.

Furthermore, steam has no restriction in that the servers MUST be visible. You can connect to individual IPs just fine. Heck theres a few games like Terraria that require you to manually enter IP addresses.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Yeah, Happy birthday, MAS. I like the way it works and how it made developers understand that making Mac games makes sense. However, it is quite sad, that after one year in operation it still misses essential applications such as VLC or Skype.

I know about the no-open-source policy, but by the time I'll can find there any application whatsoever, there is still room for evolution. It is necessary for the future. I am sure I am not the only person who want a complex solution, a store, where *everything* is available on one place - iOS-like.
So, if we're lucky, on Jan 6 2013 we'll celebrate the changes the MAS came through in 2012. Keep it up, Apple!

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
In particular, Aspyr credits the Mac App Store with breathing new life into older titles, bringing them to the attention of more casual gamers who would not have otherwise sought out the games.
Rediscovering older games is all well and good, but it'd be great if Aspyr was more aggressive in releasing new Mac titles too.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Fair enough, I did know about the offline mode but never used it. However it still doesn't change the fact that for any online play it requires you to be connected to Steam. My point (which obviously wasn't written) was the MAS doesn't require you to be connected to it for any online use of the games/software you bought, Steam does. If I'm still wrong feel free to correct me.

Whats the issue with being connected to steam? Its to prevent piracy and allow in-game chat.

Based on your logic the Mac App Store is better than an Xbox, which requires you to be connected to XBox live to play games. Or the Playstation, with PSN.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

I bought Civ5 from steam - it uses the same online play system as the non-steam version.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009

So much ignorance.

I'm a Windows user, I never thought that. Haven't read the whole thread, but I've never heard anyone who thought that.

A couple of minutes ago I was thinking how passionate Apple fans like Howard Stern get themselves worked up over the mention of an Apple competitor, I say just forget about Apple or any other corporation. Before Stern would buy stuff that and really enjoy them not caring about brand name, and if he found something better he would use that, but now that he's an Apple fanboy so much obsession and love for his Apple products, but also gets himself worked up over things he never would off. It's interesting.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
It needs the categories broken down more or have some easier way to browse apps that would be of use to someone without all the filler. Each category is loaded with apps, and unless you click on each app and read the description it's hard to tell what the app actually does. The video category is loaded with converters to where it should just have it's own separate subcategory. This is also a gripe of the iOS store I have.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I bought Civ5 from steam - it uses the same online play system as the non-steam version.

There is no non-steam version of the game, aside from Aspyr's MAS "Campaign edition" which lacks multiplayer. If you buy the retail version, it links with Steam and you must launch Steam to use it.

Aspyr sells PC games too?

Yes, but very few.

Glad to see the MAS doing better for aspyr than their horrendous GameAgent store. Terrible DRM, they should just kill it.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
moving forward..

While I appreciate all the efforts by feral and aspyr for bringing game to the mac its time developers to be responsible for their own product. Releasing games 6 months to a year later using cider and after the buzz has died down is a lazy poorly thought out way to do this. The apple market is just sitting there waiting to be treated equally. EA / Bioware is a great example of developers not giving a flying crap and is akin to segregation. It's like they intentionally avoid the revenue stream. I have paid for a lot of games on steam and the apple app store as well as gametree. I was prepared to buy first run games like MW2 or blackops. Indie developers put out more apps for macs than the well funded large developer houses so it can't be the money. And that BS about hardware/software doesnt fly with me. They can put first run crap on consoles that are 5 -6 years old (technically 7 because the consoles were tested for a full year housed in apple G5 towers i remember those E3 pics before the 360 was released). Putting a game on a brand new iMac that gets updated every year should not be a stretch. Biggest offender of this right now is Bioware which forces you to buy windows ... technically a 200 dollar + operating system just to play SWTOR. I partially blame EA because bioware were considering a mac client just before EA joined forces with them. They no doubt threw out the numbers of the quickly failing warhammer and got it in their head it wasnt worth it. here it is month after launch and they are "considering" a mac client but the truth is it will be too little too late.

LAZY

Last edited:

empezar

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
I've found that almost all of my apps that I use the most do not exist on the app store.

So to me, the app store sucks.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
there are still people who think that the only way to get music on a Mac/iPhone/iPod is to buy it from iTunes. there is a lot of ignorance out there.

Yes. And it is far far better for the ignorant to think that the only possible way to get apps is from Apple's app store...

...because if they are that ignorant, they are probably too easy a victim for loading malware on their Mac and iPhone, especially if they look for apps at any other site.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Hopeless!

Maybe Aspyr should stop resting on its laurels and actually release another decent game; ideally another COD. Can't believe Apples popularity, yet the games selection is the *****'est of all!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Maybe Aspyr should stop resting on its laurels and actually release another decent game; ideally another COD. Can't believe Apples popularity, yet the games selection is the *****'est of all!

While I agree it's time they release another Call of Duty, I think you're expecting too much from just one company.

Although I do think Feral has been doing a great job in releasing a steady flow of titles over the last few months. Really can't wait for Deus Ex.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

even with Steam porting its games to Mac and their store, the selection there is bad as well. its going to take a long while to change the attitude in the gaming community methinks.

9Speed

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

You sound like a PC user telling everyone how much Macs suck, despite never actually having used one. Get informed before you go spouting off your ignorance, and then your opinion might actually matter.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
While I appreciate all the efforts by feral and aspyr for bringing game to the mac its time developers to be responsible for their own product. Releasing games 6 months to a year later using cider and after the buzz has died down is a lazy poorly thought out way to do this. The apple market is just sitting there waiting to be treated equally. EA / Bioware is a great example of developers not giving a flying crap and is akin to segregation. It's like they intentionally avoid the revenue stream. I have paid for a lot of games on steam and the apple app store as well as gametree. I was prepared to buy first run games like MW2 or blackops. Indie developers put out more apps for macs than the well funded large developer houses so it can't be the money. And that BS about hardware/software doesnt fly with me. They can put first run crap on consoles that are 5 -6 years old (technically 7 because the consoles were tested for a full year housed in apple G5 towers i remember those E3 pics before the 360 was released). Putting a game on a brand new iMac that gets updated every year should not be a stretch. Biggest offender of this right now is Bioware which forces you to buy windows ... technically a 200 dollar + operating system just to play SWTOR. I partially blame EA because bioware were considering a mac client just before EA joined forces with them. They no doubt threw out the numbers of the quickly failing warhammer and got it in their head it wasnt worth it. here it is month after launch and they are "considering" a mac client but the truth is it will be too little too late.

LAZY

Why are you so upset with them? Did not you know that not a single game developer cares about such an obscure OS as OS/X? Install Bootcamp (better yet, buy Windows PC) and move on.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
A what distribution?

Thank you.

Yes, I've heard of them. Good ideas, poorly implemented, and wasted on the wrong operating system.

What's so "wrong" about it? Apple seemed to have liked it basically classic sucked and they realized they needed a unix-like enviroment for serious users. They then found out they couldn't code for *****, purchased next and the rest is history. One has to ask ones self though, if linux is so "wrong" why did apple even toy with it?

Antares

macrumors 68000
Whats the issue with being connected to steam? Its to prevent piracy and allow in-game chat.

Based on your logic the Mac App Store is better than an Xbox, which requires you to be connected to XBox live to play games. Or the Playstation, with PSN.

I'm not sure about the Xbox but on the Playstation, you don't need to be connected to PSN to play games (most games).

As for Steam or the Mac App store, if you use a laptop, you are not always going to be connected to the internet....or even some desktops. So, you can't always login somewhere, online. As long as you can run any application or game without an internet connection, we should be good. The day an internet connection is always required for something is a horrible day. Of course, an app or game designed only for online use makes sense to require an internet connection.

Both Steam and the MAS run offline...so all is good right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.