Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
The thing is when Windows 8 brings the App store to Windows everyone will say "Apple did it first" when actually, Ubuntu did.

Fedora had built in systems to purchase proprietary software and components before Ubuntu did. It just wasn't in the form of an App Store.

RedHat wanted it removed as it didn't fit their Philosophy and their Goals.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Laziness or simply economics? Are there enough mac users willing to buy games to justify the development of a game without using Cider?

While I appreciate all the efforts by feral and aspyr for bringing game to the mac its time developers to be responsible for their own product. Releasing games 6 months to a year later using cider and after the buzz has died down is a lazy poorly thought out way to do this. The apple market is just sitting there waiting to be treated equally. EA / Bioware is a great example of developers not giving a flying crap and is akin to segregation. It's like they intentionally avoid the revenue stream. I have paid for a lot of games on steam and the apple app store as well as gametree. I was prepared to buy first run games like MW2 or blackops. Indie developers put out more apps for macs than the well funded large developer houses so it can't be the money. And that BS about hardware/software doesnt fly with me. They can put first run crap on consoles that are 5 -6 years old (technically 7 because the consoles were tested for a full year housed in apple G5 towers i remember those E3 pics before the 360 was released). Putting a game on a brand new iMac that gets updated every year should not be a stretch. Biggest offender of this right now is Bioware which forces you to buy windows ... technically a 200 dollar + operating system just to play SWTOR. I partially blame EA because bioware were considering a mac client just before EA joined forces with them. They no doubt threw out the numbers of the quickly failing warhammer and got it in their head it wasnt worth it. here it is month after launch and they are "considering" a mac client but the truth is it will be too little too late.

LAZY

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm still amazed how many Windows (actually 'anti mac") folks believe that with the introduction of the Mac App store it is now the only way to install software on a Mac. i.e. They believe all apps on a mac have to be approved by Apple ala the iPhone.

So much ignorance.

Speaks a representative from a user community that is notorious for its complete lack of technical understanding and distorted perception of reality: Apple did everything first - even if they stole the ideas, Apple does everything best - even if the competition sells superior feature sets at lower prices, Apple improves everybody's quality of life - even if only a higher income earners can afford their gadgets.

Indeed, so much ignorance.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Speaks a representative from a user community that is notorious for its complete lack of technical understanding and distorted perception of reality: Apple did everything first - even if they stole the ideas, Apple does everything best - even if the competition sells superior feature sets at lower prices, Apple improves everybody's quality of life - even if only a higher income earners can afford their gadgets.

There fixed it for you.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011

Inhale, exhale ... slowly repeat. Helps.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
The thing is when Windows 8 brings the App store to Windows everyone will say "Apple did it first" when actually, Ubuntu did.

Is that the thing? Ubuntu's software "store" is very good, Apple's is a little better. You forget there are very few original ideas, but there are a lot of original implementations and Apple's implementation is more user friendly than Ubuntu's.

We should be grateful for all the Linux distros out there figuring stuff out...they provide a beta-like testbed for Apple, Microsoft, etc. but they too benefit from copying Microsoft and Apple, nothing's sacred nor should it be.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
This is so obvious it's silly ...

Apple's the golden goose at the present. At every turn people are fawning over them.

Never one to get tired of boasting, Apple will do anything for mindshare.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
And how exciting is it that great apps like 1Password are dropping important features to fit in Apple's caged box?
Joseph Elwell.

A lot - considering you can still get the original version direct from the developer. For most app, apple's rules won't matter. For those that do, developers can get an extra revenue stream and still keep an non-app store version.

----------

There were App stores long before Ubuntu did it as well.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Again, Apple is focused on the mobile computer market where high-performance graphics impacts battery life. Apple has ceded the "gamer market" to other operating systems. It's a niche. They don't want it.
I know. Tell the guy I was replying to that. Do you not understand what the discussion is about?
Poor Aspry is only selling hundreds of thousands of each of their games per year. I'm sure they should take your advice and just throw in the towel.
Being their sole business, bad idea. This isn't a game design house, which is what the poster complained about, its a game porting house. You seem to have difficulty grasping whats being talked about here.

** Would you believe HUNDREDS of thousands?
About as much as a single Indie game; Magicka. And less than basically all high budget games, where millions the first week (day, even) is expected.

Finally, lord only knows how those poor underpowered iPads, iPhone Touches, and iPhones manage to garner so many mobile gamers... Maybe there's a whole lot of gamers willing to come out of their mother's basement and walk in the sunshine.
Congratulations. I'm talking about why existing PC games do not get ported to Mac OS and you go off on a iOS rant, a completely different ****ing market, with, wait for it, a completely different subset of games.

Last edited:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Now, all we need is for Aspyr to bring us a port of Modern Warfare 3.
That would seriously make my day.

Last edited:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I'll be honest, I don't really like the Mac App Store.

1. The apps on MAS tend to be a lot more expensive. I don't like that.

2. I like to be able to back up the installer and use it again.

3. While I really like Apple products, a 30% seems pretty greedy to me, especially for higher ticket items.

I'll be honest too, I love the Mac App Store. Even to the point where I wont buy Mac Software that's not on it.

1. While that is indeed the case for some apps, it is the other way around for others. Look out for all the special deals (and some of the regular prices).

2. With the Mac App Store there is no need to keep the installer. If you ever need to reinstall anything you ever bough, simply log in to the Mac App Store, click the "Purchases" tap (which contains your entire purchase history) and press install. Voila! (Beats the crap out of your old habit if you ask me : ).

3. I think it is a pretty fair price (even though 20%, 15% or 10% would be even more fair). With the Mac App Store developers save on packaging, marketing, distribution, servers, payment systems etc.*

Personally, I've never bought as much Mac software as after the introduction of the Mac App Store.

* http://allthingsd.com/20110125/pixe...pp-stores-30-percent-cut-definitely-worth-it/
http://www.niemanlab.org/2011/03/john-gruber-on-apples-30-cut-to-the-victor-goes-the-pricing-power/
http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/dirty_percent

Last edited:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I mentioned the main reason why, but I'll expand - these developers will loose sales as MAS become more popular and people ( new users, less savvy users particularly ) stop looking outside for mac software. These types of software won't be developed if they can't be sold - that is, software will only be developed if it can get in the MAS - and conforming to Apple requirements ; OSX will suffer as a consequence: Ultimately too many developer restrictions hurts innovation, and reduces overall functionality. IMO - I've seen this on IOS - less varied range of software than on other smartphones ( i.e., an App can use less of the phone's hardware than other platforms, and general API restrictions ) - simply because of apple restricts.

Problem is the same people who would think you only could get apps from the Mac OS store are the same ones now who take for granted there isn't much for the Mac and don't search for software (Or only when they go in a store and see a very small selection at the store or maybe only look at the Apple store which also really only shows a small selection of software). What they see is that Mac doesn't have much offered for it (and they may be fine with that as they may only want their computer for web browsing and such).

So you really aren't all the sudden making more people blind to what is on the net to buy for the Mac. You are enlightening people who might otherwise not look hard to see that there is more selection for the mac than they thought though. You are giving them an easier access to finding software and making it blatant, "Here, here is the software" where they can just go to one place and browse. These same people you complain about wouldn't be looking all over the internet anyways for Mac software.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yes, absolutely: Like I said, I agree that the principle of the MAS is a good one.. makes software discovery easy... unfortunately ( in the case of MAS ) is the reduction of functionality and innovation of applications appearing on the MAS.

Problem is the same people who would think you only could get apps from the Mac OS store are the same ones now who take for granted there isn't much for the Mac and don't search for software (Or only when they go in a store and see a very small selection at the store or maybe only look at the Apple store which also really only shows a small selection of software). What they see is that Mac doesn't have much offered for it (and they may be fine with that as they may only want their computer for web browsing and such).

So you really aren't all the sudden making more people blind to what is on the net to buy for the Mac. You are enlightening people who might otherwise not look hard to see that there is more selection for the mac than they thought though. You are giving them an easier access to finding software and making it blatant, "Here, here is the software" where they can just go to one place and browse. These same people you complain about wouldn't be looking all over the internet anyways for Mac software.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
One of the main benefits of a centralized place to get apps is the smooth upgrade process. No more of annoying "Adobe updater", "Office updater", "Y updater" bugging you to upgrade their software at inappropriate times.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Wow time flies. I vaguely remember wondering how long it would take for this store to take off. Now I get everything through it, including re-purchasing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. :)

I seriously spend at least 20 minutes a night decompressing while riding the top of the Trolly that runs around San Fierro(sp?) with a rocket launcher.

Good times.

Dangerous to tell me I can buy San Andreas on the Mac App store during exams. Can't wait to download it in a couple of weeks

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Dangerous to tell me I can buy San Andreas on the Mac App store during exams. Can't wait to download it in a couple of weeks

I agree. I had no idea Grand Theft Auto of any sort was available for the mac (hell, I was all excited we could get III for the iPhone). And it's pretty reasonably priced too (unlike the feral games... I wouldn't mind having Sid Maier's Pirates but not for 30 box!).

Course I got a 2010 13" MBP, not the best for games, and I see on San Andreas people with much better computers than mine are complaining about lag so I wonder if mine will run it (it doesn't say it wouldn't)...

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
You're missing one major point here. Steam requires you to be logged in to play the games, therefore internet access is required to play games you bought.

I once launched a Steam game while my internet was being flakey (it was connected but not really working). After trying to connect to the server for a minute or so it gave up and said "go play".

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
I appreciate you voicing your opinion but you are making generalizations and that's ignorant...

State specific instances where people say "Apple did x first" or save that argument for Windows fan-boy sites where this kind of thing is said so many times that people start to believe it as truth.

Microsoft and Apple have both copied ideas. They are trying to make money, like every business. In some cases they do a better job than the originator of the idea and bring something to market that works better. Occasionally they have an original idea and deserve credit where due.

Last edited:

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I agree. I had no idea Grand Theft Auto of any sort was available for the mac (hell, I was all excited we could get III for the iPhone). And it's pretty reasonably priced too (unlike the feral games... I wouldn't mind having Sid Maier's Pirates but not for 30 box!).

Course I got a 2010 13" MBP, not the best for games, and I see on San Andreas people with much better computers than mine are complaining about lag so I wonder if mine will run it (it doesn't say it wouldn't)...

Yeah I have GTA III on my iPhone and it's quality. Amazing considering I remember playing it on my Playstation 9-10 years ago!

Hmm perhaps I shouldn't play it on my early 2008 Macbook then... (although I did upgrade my RAM)

Still waiting on the new generation MBP before I upgrade

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
One of the main benefits of a centralized place to get apps is the smooth upgrade process. No more of annoying "Adobe updater", "Office updater", "Y updater" bugging you to upgrade their software at inappropriate times.

This is something Microsoft tried and failed to do with their update system in Windows. It's now relegated to Windows/Office updates and the occasional "critical" driver update. That being said - Adobe still uses their own update system on the Mac for DW/PS and other apps I use.

I hope with Windows 8 they have better success.

jelwell

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
A lot - considering you can still get the original version direct from the developer. For most app, apple's rules won't matter. For those that do, developers can get an extra revenue stream and still keep an non-app store version.
This is only if you believe Apple won't eventually lock down OS X like iOS. Everything I've seen shows Apple is looking to bring iOS to OS X.
Joseph Elwell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.