Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:18 PM   #101
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=CarsonGallo;14342669]•You can now Manage iCloud Storage.

•You can choose which Data Plan right within System Preferences.

•You can choose to Downgrade your iCloud Data Plan.

•You can view your iCloud Account Info directly in System Preferences. You can also edit it as well.

Image[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

The iCloud preferences could be accessed in Lion too.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:22 PM   #102
EEXOOO
macrumors regular

Can anyone with a MBP 15 6490M connected to a 1440p display share if the Mission Control still lags?
EEXOOO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:42 PM   #103
Takuro
macrumors 6502

I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :P
Takuro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 AM   #104
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuro View Post
I installed 10.8 DP1 and I've already noticed a few rather dumb bugs after 15 minutes of use. For instance, if you go into "Expose" settings in System Preference and uncheck "Show dashboard as a space", you won't be able to manage widgets from dashboard anymore. It seems whoever redesigned widget management might have forgot this. :P
Have you tried this?
jayhawk11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:06 AM   #105
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
Have you tried this?
In other words.

Don't complain if you're not a developer and if you ARE a developer submit a bug report.
Peace is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:11 AM   #106
superstrikertwo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to superstrikertwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonGallo View Post
•New Chess Preferences
•You can now Remove Purchases from your Purchases list. (Thats a new one right? Hard for me to remember cause like I said, purchases category has been crashing on me for a while.)
That is in Lion.
superstrikertwo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:20 AM   #107
damson34
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to damson34 Send a message via MSN to damson34 Send a message via Skype™ to damson34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
That looks very different from what I'm currently showing in Disk Utility in Lion - where did the Restore, RAID, and Erase tabs go? Also, there's no SMART status anymore?
Mine is still completely normal. I dont have an apple oem hd in either, upgraded to a wd 7200rpm a whille ago and it still shows up in my disk utility, as well as all the other tabs.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:31 AM   #108
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by damson34 View Post
Mine is still completely normal. I dont have an apple oem hd in either, upgraded to a wd 7200rpm a whille ago and it still shows up in my disk utility, as well as all the other tabs.
Disk utility still shows the model of my OCZ Vertex2 SSD drive.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:35 AM   #109
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
Here's a fun one: The checkbox for "Reopen windows when logging back in" now remembers your selection. Uncheck it once and it stays off forever.
I'm upgrading just for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphis View Post
You can review a video file even when its a thumbnail. Kinda cool but kinda useless xD
Thats been in there since at least Snow Leopard. I do it on my desktop all the time when rummaging through many video clips
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:29 AM   #110
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Installed ML on a separate FW drive and, apart from Evernote and VMWare fusion, most of the things I use on a day-to-day basis appear to work just fine.

If Evernote but particularly VMWare Fusion works properly in ML, I'll install ML on my MBA. I like these little changes in ML
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:33 AM   #111
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Love this thread.

2 of my favourite features are actually the return of thing from Snow Leopard, that were missing in Lion:
  1. The return of the Groups panel in Contacts.
  2. The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.

I'm very happy about Apple adopting the iOS app names in OSX. I always thought iCal sounded more like a spreadsheet app. I wonder if System Preferences will become Settings?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:40 AM   #112
MrAppleseed
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post
  1. The return of the side bar in Calendars (showing calendar list and small month views). The faux leather has also been greatly toned down.

Also you can set default alarms in Calendar now.
When creating a new event, can you tell if it’s still created in the default calendar (as seen in Lion), or (as in pre Lion) in the selected calendar?
MrAppleseed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #113
Joe HS
macrumors regular

It is now possible to right-click dock items whilst Launchpad is active:

Thumb resize.

Edit: Oops sorry, Lion does this too!

Last edited by Joe HS; Feb 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Joe HS is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #114
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!

Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.

I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:17 AM   #115
maflynn

I like the notifications, either iMessage or emails that pop up from the upper left corner
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:22 AM   #116
Joe HS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
Curious to know if Mission Control now remembers your fullscreen app positions instead of putting them in order of loading. That drives me freaking crazy!
If you mean after a reboot, yes, Resume now arranges Spaces in the correct order.
Quote:
Also, can you "Show Desktop" while in a full screen app? Another one that slows me down.
Unfortunately, no. It sounds like it could be a helpful feature though.
Quote:
I guess my biggest issue with MC is that it treats fullscreen apps like they're on an iPad connected to the right of your windowed desktops. I like to rearrange the order of my desktops and fullscreen apps and want it to remember where they are even if they crash or I restart.
This has been possible since 10.7.2.
For the most part this seems to have been fixed in ML; restarting a crashed app will load it in windowed mode, but entering Full-Screen will insert it between the two spaces it last was. In addition, apps that enter Full-Screen are now sent one slot to the right of the current Space, and not all the way to the far right as they were with Lion.
Joe HS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #117
Takuro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
A full-screen app is a standalone window with no underlying desktop. I'm not sure that it'd make much sense to implement this feature due to this UI design conflict. How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app? They would be hidden out of sight, which could lead to major confusion.
Takuro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:57 AM   #118
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe HS View Post
It is now possible to right-click dock items whilst Launchpad is active:

Thumb resize.
I can do this in Lion.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:28 PM   #119
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app?
Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop. Maybe Apple brainwashing works?

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?
Krazy Bill is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:44 PM   #120
Pooshka
macrumors 65816

- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again
Pooshka is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:45 PM   #121
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If you are talking about what I think you are, you've been able to turn that off since Mission Control was introduced in Lion.

There's a checkbox in System Preferences: "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use."
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #122
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooshka View Post
- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking the bar highlights it entirely
- Unarchiving downloaded packages brings them to the foreground; OS's prior to Lion had the same behaviour, then Lion took it away, now it's back in Mountain Lion again
Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:59 PM   #123
Joe HS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop.

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?
A Full-Screen app is separate to a/the desktop possibly to make the user feel less reliant on there being a desktop (especially on more mobile, small screen devices), the concept is at least 30 years old after all. Eventually things will change.
I really don't understand how you can claim that before Lion/ML fullscreen apps didn't compromise consistency, however. Full-Screen was always a mess on any platform.
You could just drag ~/Desktop onto the Dock in the meantime anyhow, although I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the Dock was only accessible when Full-Screen because not all users have access to a Multi-touch trackpad.
Joe HS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:00 PM   #124
Pooshka
macrumors 65816

- Safari's unified Address & Search bar + clicking anywhere in the bar highlights it entirely

In case you didn't know, two-finger swipe and menu icon are NOT the only ways to access Notification Center. Of course, there's also an option to assign a keyboard shortcut (my favourite). In my case, option+space triggers Notification Center, while command+space triggers Alfred. /tip

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoopman View Post
Does it still highlight if you click the favicon?
Yes.
Pooshka is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #125
GermanyChris
Banned

Can't get the VPN talking yet..

**Edit** Got PPTP talking but it just won't take the Certificates to make L2TP/IPSec

Last edited by GermanyChris; Feb 18, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion