Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
"To each his own"

I had the 6 Plus, and returned it for regular 6. Very happy now! The 6 is a perfect size for me.

Glad we have a choice, I support both sizes as it's a personal choice. Not sure why people have to reassure themselves so much over what size they think is better.

Enjoy your 6 Plus.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I was truly on the fence but ended up with the 6 ultimately. I wasn't having the best battery life so I had envy for the 6+ for a short time. Then I realized that if I want a bigger screen, I can reach for my iPad Mini. The only use for the bigger screen would be for reading on the device. And if I wanted a more powerful device overall, I would just reach for my rMBP. That's the beauty with Apple these days, you have the ability and the variety to pick what is right and what works for you.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
When I pick up a 5 or 5S now they feel too small and like toys. But the 6 feels alright too (I am on a 6 plus now). I think 6 is the perfect size if only it had the battery of the 6 plus. But once more and more apps are updated to take advantage of the bigger screen the 6 Plus will be the better device.

After owning a note 2 and 3 when I picked up a 5S last year and said it felt small like a toy everyone laughed at me. Now everyone agrees. So funny.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
After having the 6 plus for awhile I thank the gods above that I did not settle for the 6. Originally I thought the 6 Plus was too big but now after getting used to it, it is an amazing experience. The experience is much greater than that of my girlfriend's 6. My camera is noticeably better than hers, both with photo and video. Also, I didn't think that the screen resolution would be noticeable to my eyes but my display is clearly more sharp and beautiful than her's. At this point, the size actually feels comfortable and picking up my 5s felt laughable, it felt like a miniature toy.

Oh and the battery is heavenly, just heavenly.

Point of this post: Everyone get a 6 Plus. It is well worth it and is clearly the better phone.

edit - this is making 6 users mad evidently lol

You are about a month late with this thread... And you have no grounds telling others what to get... Word your posts appropriately, expressing your opinion as an opinion, instead of what you consider to be fact, then you will likely get more objective responses. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Those arent even really features, I actually prefer the faster fade animation of going in and out of apps from Reduce Motion, and I dont quite frankly really care about transparent windows in iOS, (control center transparent, etc, big deal for that I dont really care about that)

Its not nessacerily disabling any features at all actually, it is just changing the look of the OS ever so slightly , thats all, no features or functions of the phone get disabled at all

You should try Reduce Motion and Reduced Transparency, it really does make it buttery smooth though(and I happen to prefer these two options on anyway because I like the fade animation Reduce motion gives better then the stock animation when going in and out of apps, and also I like the darker notification center with Reduced transparency, the keyboard is also darker in some applications which I actually like too

To each his own. In my opinion I shouldn't have to tweak settings on my phone to get it running smoothly out of the box. I have never had to before and I don't think I should have to now. Like I said, got used to doing that on Android. Got used to NOT doing that on iPhone.

I do consider it a feature, though. It's a visual feature, something meant to be appealing to the eye. Is it a feature I could do without? Absolutely. But if it is like this now I am worried where the phone will be a year or two from now... Granted, I will probably dump it for something else by then.

For what it's worth, I can get lag going into ladnscape while playing a video in safari. I can also get lag when exiting out of some apps. Safari has also crashed my phone while playing music. From what I read this may be hardware, related to the internal storage Apple chose. I'll wait and see. The video lag is 100% reproducible; it's bad enough that the sound will actually skip and stutter and repeat for a split second, sometimes twice before it "catches up". The crashing is not easily reproducible; I have crashed maybe three times over the last month or so I have had the phone. Still, that's three times more than I've crashed with the 5 and 5S combined.

Last edited:

Mitman

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
After having the 6 plus for awhile I thank the gods above that I did not settle for the 6. Originally I thought the 6 Plus was too big but now after getting used to it, it is an amazing experience. The experience is much greater than that of my girlfriend's 6. My camera is noticeably better than hers, both with photo and video. Also, I didn't think that the screen resolution would be noticeable to my eyes but my display is clearly more sharp and beautiful than her's. At this point, the size actually feels comfortable and picking up my 5s felt laughable, it felt like a miniature toy.

Point of this post: Everyone get a 6 Plus. It is well worth it and is clearly the better phone.

Do you consider yourself to have big hands? How is the one-handed use, or have you gotten used to using two hands? And how do you normally carry it around, like when walking and such? From the short time I held the 6+ in the store, it doesn't seem too big and it fit well in my pocket, but I'm not sure how that would be after long term use.

Sorry, I know these questions are pretty basic and different for everyone, but I just want to get a wide range of opinions, before I make a decision on which one is best for me?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

I'm a 6 owner and I'm not mad....I tried to like the 6 Plus but in the end I couldn't....for the record I had no issues with its size and getting it in my pocket but I like one handed use allot and the 6 is already allot more work than my 5. Anyways I was a target and I saw a 5s on display and it looked like a kids toy without a case...the display also looked inferior even to my regular 6's screen...it was just very strange...then I was riding with my buddy on leave and he has the iPhone 4 and we're on the interstate so he asks me to text someone back and I felt like I was a gorilla trying to type on the smallest phone ever. lol

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Do you consider yourself to have big hands? How is the one-handed use, or have you gotten used to using two hands? And how do you normally carry it around, like when walking and such? From the short time I held the 6+ in the store, it doesn't seem too big and it fit well in my pocket, but I'm not sure how that would be after long term use.

Sorry, I know these questions are pretty basic and different for everyone, but I just want to get a wide range of opinions, before I make a decision on which one is best for me?

I don't have large hands but the double tap gesture is sufficient in most cases to make one handed use ok. It compensates for the much greater height of the screen.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
To each his own. In my opinion I shouldn't have to tweak settings on my phone to get it running smoothly out of the box. I have never had to before and I don't think I should have to now. Like I said, got used to doing that on Android. Got used to NOT doing that on iPhone.

I do consider it a feature, though. It's a visual feature, something meant to be appealing to the eye. Is it a feature I could do without? Absolutely. But if it is like this now I am worried where the phone will be a year or two from now... Granted, I will probably dump it for something else by then.

For what it's worth, I can get lag going into ladnscape while playing a video in safari. I can also get lag when exiting out of some apps. Safari has also crashed my phone while playing music. From what I read this may be hardware, related to the internal storage Apple chose. I'll wait and see. The video lag is 100% reproducible; it's bad enough that the sound will actually skip and stutter and repeat for a split second, sometimes twice before it "catches up". The crashing is not easily reproducible; I have crashed maybe three times over the last month or so I have had the phone. Still, that's three times more than I've crashed with the 5 and 5S combined.

Try the Reduce Transparency, I am almost positive it actually frees up RAM on the Plus, the GPU and CPU no longer have to render the pretty taxing transparency effect, I myself have not been having those issues your experiencing at all, besides Safari tab reloading sometimes, and Safari has been crashing for me on only one website I visit regularly(GameSpot) and sometimes it crashes Safari which I dont know why

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Try the Reduce Transparency, I am almost positive it actually frees up RAM on the Plus, the GPU and CPU no longer have to render the pretty taxing transparency effect, I myself have not been having those issues your experiencing at all, besides Safari tab reloading sometimes, and Safari has been crashing for me on only one website I visit regularly(GameSpot) and sometimes it crashes Safari which I don't know why

To be clear, your tips do help. I just don't feel like I should have to reduce transparency and remove effects. It's a $750 (base price) phone. As I said, if it wasn't a giant screened iPhone I would have taken it back by now. The screen size is the only thing keeping me going lol.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
To be clear, your tips do help. I just don't feel like I should have to reduce transparency and remove effects. It's a $750 (base price) phone. As I said, if it wasn't a giant screened iPhone I would have taken it back by now. The screen size is the only thing keeping me going lol.

Yeah the phone literally just came out and we have to use tricks to improve the performance? Not a good sign lol. Think about how it will run a year from now...:confused:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

I am beyond sure as apps get optimized and iOS gets further updated and streamlined, the Plus is more then capable of running at 60 fps constant no lag, iOS 8 is defitnetly rushed out the door a bit...but it is also the biggest iOS update ever with over 4000 new API's ...i am sure they will fix performance and that stuttering, and also all app submissions by February 2015 need to be 64 bit capable, that alone right there switching the app from 32-bit to 64-bit gives a 10% performance increase right off the bat from the use of extra registers of the CPU(so next year we will get very nice performance gains as apps start getting 64 bit capable)

Anyways going off topic a bit lol, but I agree the Plus is defitnetly the first iPhone at launch that wasn't 100% perfectly smooth with those options turned off(stock)

A little bit suprising but, by no means is it slow in apps or performance wise at all, it is a very fast phone in operation, just animation stutters and sputters and tab reloading

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am beyond sure as apps get optimized and iOS gets further updated and streamlined, the Plus is more then capable of running at 60 fps constant no lag, iOS 8 is defitnetly rushed out the door a bit...but it is also the biggest iOS update ever with over 4000 new API's ...i am sure they will fix performance and that stuttering, and also all app submissions by February 2015 need to be 64 bit capable, that alone right there switching the app from 32-bit to 64-bit gives a 10% performance increase right off the bat from the use of extra registers of the CPU(so next year we will get very nice performance gains as apps start getting 64 bit capable)

Anyways going off topic a bit lol, but I agree the Plus is defitnetly the first iPhone at launch that wasn't 100% perfectly smooth with those options turned off(stock)

A little bit suprising but, by no means is it slow in apps or performance wise at all, it is a very fast phone in operation, just animation stutters and sputters and tab reloading

As far as the tab reloading, been using Mercury. No reloads (I think it caches the tabs to your onboard memory). A bit tough to move from safari just because of muscle memory, plus every other apps that want to load a link will want to do so in safari. Been pretty good for me, though I don't think it's quite optimized for the screen size of the plus (assuming 6 too). The UI just looks "blown up". Anyway, it's a bandaid lol.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
The battery on the Plus is leaps and bounds better than the 6. When my wife needs to charge in late afternoon I'm usually above 75%. She can't believe the difference. She's probably getting a Plus when the 6S comes out.

:apple:

The difference shouldn't be that big. Clearly she use the phone a lot more or have apps that drain the battery. Or the phone needs to be replaced.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The difference shouldn't be that big. Clearly she use the phone a lot more or have apps that drain the battery. Or the phone needs to be replaced.

I agree. Comparing both the 6 and 6+ "screen-on" usage only gives the 6+ a slight advantage. It's the stand-by and tasks performed when the display is off where the 6+ just kills it.

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011

Amazing how when you state your opinion people go so fired up! You'd think you just gave a religious truth or something.

I don't know how anyone would want to use anything other than the Plus, it's absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Purely a personal choice. I tried both and went with the 6. Absolutely love it and have not regretted it once. Some of my friends got the plus and feel exactly the same way.

That's why they decided on a choice.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I had the Plus for 2 weeks and I am glad I switched to the 6. I do like the large screen and battery on the Plus but easily get 12-13 hours on a charge with my 6. The Plus was too difficult to use and carry. Its the only phone I ever used that causes hip impingement while walking when carried in a front pants pocket. And I always felt like I would drop it during use and never got used to having to use 2 hands. Its a great phone but not for everyone. The height is the biggest downside. I would reconsider if they trim it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.