Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pennypac

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
I just updated my mac pro 1,1 to 10.10 using the pre patched piker boot.
Can I install this driver update first and then install the latest 10.2 from the app store? I have the geforce 8800 gt.

Thanks

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I just updated my mac pro 1,1 to 10.10 using the pre patched piker boot.
Can I install this driver update first and then install the latest 10.2 from the app store? I have the geforce 8800 gt.

Thanks

I don't think that it's necessary to install NVIDIA's drivers for the 8800 as it's supported by the OS out of the box.

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I updated to the new security update (14C1514)) and reinstalled the b4 Web Driver, and the Web Driver is working again.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/dZAS8cBUHaT1cUk4pr4NBgqTMH8PbHXC/WebDriver-343.02.02b04.pkg

Lou

I'm assuming then we can go in the opposite order like before and not be stuck at any point with a black screen. (meaning install the b4 driver first and *then* the new security update) That's what I did with the prior security update and all was good.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I see Apple's motivation to do that (keep competition from making nMP look bad), but why Nvidia? What do they get out of having their web drivers breaking with every little update? Every few days I think about buying a GTX980, but I don't because of this mess.

Yup. That's why in my frustration with my 7950 and miniature system freezes I sold it and instead of getting a 970, I got a 760 on eBay to tide me over until Maxwell drivers are part of the OS X release.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
And the security update also breaks the Nvidia Web Driver for 10.8.5.

However, my non-flashed GTX 570 2.5GB still works and Cuda is still playing nicely with Adobe AE & PP while using the Apple driver, at least...

Question:
Perhaps Apple's drivers are presently mature enough that with my 10.8.5/gtx570 combo, that using the Nvidia driver will not exhibit any performance boost over current OS drivers anyways... Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Lonnie

I want to +1 this.

My non-flashed GTX570 video card is working perfectly on stock OSX drivers after these security updates. Even 2015-003.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Only for the record.

New driver for OS X 10.8.5 -> WebDriver 313.01.04f02
Graphics driver updated for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (12F2501).
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83085/en-us

New driver for OS X 10.9.5 -> WebDriver 334.01.03f02
Graphics driver updated for Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 (13F1066)
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83086/en-us

New and already after one week obsolete driver for OS X 10.10.2 -> WebDriver 343.02.02f03
Graphics driver updated for Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (14C1510)
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83003/en-us

I guess webdriver 343.02.02f04 will follow soon.

Editing SystemVersion.plist with TextWrangler (NOT the AppStore version, the full version!) is easy. Just overwrite the build number, unlock and save the file, and restart the Mac.

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I want to +1 this.

My non-flashed GTX570 video card is working perfectly on stock OSX drivers after these security updates. Even 2015-003.

My non-flashed GTX570 is also working perfectly on stock OS X drivers. In fact the Nvidia web drivers are no use to me as only one DVI display at a time will work with the web drivers whereas with the stock drivers both DVI ports work so I can use two monitors.

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I can install f03 or b04 by editing the SystemVersion.plist, but neither will run (not compatible with the OS version). Updated to 14c1514 without thinking of course. Do I need to rebuild the kext cache, and is that likely to mess with trim enabler?

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Change system build number to match what driver expects.

thats what I did, control panel still says not compatible but will let me install when I change the number.

To clarify:

Everything fine
Updated OS
Driver reports incompatible and disables
Uninstall driver
Driver will not install, reports incompatible
Change system number
Driver will install, but still reports incompatible and will not enable

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
after editing the file do this, worked for me fine:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks, just tried but no luck. Going to try clearing everything out, forcing f03 back in, then editing and touching before rebooting

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Please specify what you are changing...EXACTLY.

Lou is reporting that b04 works, without changing anything

Righto, restarting all of these procedures with the system at 14C1514 and with the driver uninstalled via the uninstall tool, so there's no dirty data between attempts.

b04
Install b04 driver
Immediately pops up notification after install that it is incompatible
Restart
Notification again (expected)
Checking control panel reports incompatible

f03
Installer reports incompatible version and will not install
Change SystemVersion.plist to 14C1510
Install f03 driver
Restart

f03 info.plist and kextcache
Installer reports incompatible version and will not install
Change SystemVersion.plist to 14C1510
Install f03 driver
edit /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist to set NVDARequiredOS to 14C1514
Execute "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext /System/Library/Extensions"
Execute "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel"
Execute "sudo kextcache -system-caches"
Restart
Change SystemVersion.plist back to 14C1514
Restart

The "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" does throw a rather explicit error regarding the nvidia kext

Invalid signature -67030 for kext <OSKext 0x7fd0e624c390 [0x7fff75378cf0]> { URL = "NVDAStartup.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.nvidia.NVDAStartup" }

I have dev mode enabled so other unsigned kexts say they will load just with a warning that dev mode is allowing them, and some say they have no Info.plist of course. This is the only one explicitly called out for invalid signature.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
hmm, what GPU are you using anyway?

something isn't adding up

When you get a dialog that says something about required "build number", if you go in system profiler and look at build number, does it actually show that you have that number but it isn't working?

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
AHA! http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=8522.60 gave me a hint. After the kext info.plist and rebuilding and setting OS version back etc. I repaired permissions and it all seems happy now. I suspect the way I was editing the SystemVersion.plist was causing the problem since it immediately fixed permissions on that specifically. Once I repaired permissions and restarted again it no longer complains that it's incompatible, could select the web driver, restart again to enable and I have screens again.

Thanks for all the help!

----------

hmm, what GPU are you using anyway?

For the record gtx970, which doesn't enable the monitors under the OS default driver (known issue), so I've been working over VNC.

And to clarify what I was doing wrong with the plist, I was copying it out, duplicating it, editing it (which you have to unlock it to save), then copying it back. Can't edit it in place with Xcode due to permissions, and I wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up so was trying to back up in the process. Editing in place with sudo should prevent the issue. Just me trying to be safe and screwing it up.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
FYI: The nVidia Control Panel offers the download of the nVidia Web Driver 343.02.02f04.

(And I really wish, Mac OS X would allow video driver update without a reboot … because the nVidia driver under Windows 8.1 allows this, and it sucks to say that Windows is much better in this regard.)

lewnworxx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
new driver version 343.02.02f03 is available this AM through the NVIDIA Web Driver Manager on OS X 10.10.2

That one won't install. Was released on the 11th prior to the security patch which changed the build veriom. If anybody knows how to change the version the installer checks for so I could actually install that driver I could get my machine back up.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
That one won't install. Was released on the 11th prior to the security patch which changed the build veriom. If anybody knows how to change the version the installer checks for so I could actually install that driver I could get my machine back up.

that was for the first security update, not the latest released

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Web driver 343.02.02f04 is available and installs perfectly fine after the 2015-003 security update

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 2.51.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 2.51.03 PM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 283

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Edit all Nvidia web driver installers to pass system checks:

1) Copy the Driver WebDriverXXXX.pkg to 'Downloads'.

2) Start Terminal

3) Terminal: cd downloads

4) Terminal: pkgutil --expand WebDriverXXXX.pkg expanded.pkg

5) Right mouse click expanded.pkg and choose “Show Package Contents”, right click “Distribution” file and choose 'Open with TextEdit' or 'Open with TextWrangler'. Then modify the InstallationCheck() method to return always true:

Code:
function InstallationCheck()
{
//if (!validateHardware()) return false;
//if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

return true;
}

6) Save the “Distribution” file.

7) Terminal: pkgutil --flatten expanded.pkg flattened.pkg

8) Double mouse click flattened.pkg and install Nvidia web driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.