Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuFuFu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I hope they don't rip off the superdrive ... its time for blueray. And a laptop is for beeing mobile ... and then you come to the point where you need some data from a disc and you say NOOOOOOOOO! ...

barthq

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Weak compared to what?

I have an Intel GMA card from my 2007 MB. I couldn't care less how weak the 6490 is, its more powerful than what I have now. I think you'll find only Gcard geeks care. Everybody else will see these cards as improvements over yesterdays models.

Weak compared to the old model. Its slower than the current one. Fine that you dont care for the Gcard, but i do. I am a professional multimedia developer and need a good GPU. This is the PRO line of apple after all. I dont want to buy the 17" just to get some decent GPU performance.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
:massive sigh:

I'm just going to say it.

"Where's the quad-core 13"? Why isn't there ultra-high res on the 13"?"

People. If you're SERIOUS about wanting awesome specs, face the truth. It will never, ever, EVER, EVER be on the 13". It just won't. You can get a good computer....but if you're wanting all of the awesome features, STEP UP and buy a 17" or 15".

"Well I want the size of the 13" and all of the awesome specs."

Then buy a non-Apple product.

Seriously.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
I'm waiting for the redesign, aimed for late 2011/early 2012. That one will be thinner and more Air-like, 256GB and 512GB SSD only options, and their big thing will be having the best screen in a laptop. Etch that in stone, folks.

Gsharpshooter80

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Agreed. The 17" looks to be the only decent upgrade but thaat's way too much of a machine for me.

I really miss having a Macbook but looks like I'm back to the land of the PCs for my next laptop. Boo.

Totally agreed I'm going back to a PC too maybe I can get a hackintosh going on ;-)

FuFuFu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
most of those pictures are fakes ... can't believe that they build in a gpu that is not better than intels onboard graphics ...

alibe

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
how long?

The store has been down now for more than 1 h 20 m.
Can someone tell me how long this normally takes?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Without fail there is always somebody guaranteed to say card X is weak in every hardware update.

Weak compared to what?

I have an Intel GMA card from my 2007 MB. I couldn't care less how weak the 6490 is, its more powerful than what I have now. I think you'll find only Gcard geeks care. Everybody else will see these cards as improvements over yesterdays models.

Agreed... plus with Apple... it's all about balance. They tend to always put battery life ahead of more power... toys take power.

I'm just hoping the SSD for the OS is true... to me, that seems like a huge win!

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
No way you would hear difference between 5400 - 7200, and correct me if im wrong, but i believe the MBP already had 7200.
They should most def. be able to match the MBA screenresolution on the 13" MBP
Yes, you are wrong. They currently have 5400rpm upgradeable to 7200rpm.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Without fail there is always somebody guaranteed to say card X is weak in every hardware update.

Weak compared to what?

It's weak in comparison to what other manufacturers are doing with their refreshes currently. Of course it's more powerful than a card from 2007 (duh). As far as an improvement over yesterday's models, well the 6490 is an improvement over the nVidia 330... barely (and I mean barely as in "not really significant at all).

How many machines do you see launching in 2011 with a 256MB GPU? I know it's traditional for Apple to not put the latest and greatest tech in their machines but usually they try to stay competitive.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Weak compared to the old model. Its slower than the current one. Fine that you dont care for the Gcard, but i do. I am a professional multimedia developer and need a good GPU. This is the PRO line of apple after all. I dont want to buy the 17" just to get some decent GPU performance.

Also without a doubt is professional X demands more and will never get it from an Apple refresh,. I feel your pain I want IPS panels but no luck.

As Popeye206 says, its about balance with Apple.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
It's weak in comparison to what other manufacturers are doing with their refreshes currently. Of course it's more powerful than a card from 2007 (duh). As far as an improvement over yesterday's models, well the 6490 is an improvement over the nVidia 330... barely (and I mean barely as in "not really significant at all).

How many machines do you see launching in 2011 with a 256MB GPU? I know it's traditional for Apple to not put the latest and greatest tech in their machines but usually they try to stay competitive.

not according to here...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6490M.43843.0.html

its worse then what we have...

fil3333

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
the problem upgrading to a 7200rpm is that u would have to do it at an apple store or you will loose your warranty is not like with the old macbook you could do it yourself without loosing the warranty

really why do you think?

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Finally quad core in MBPs.

There probably is going to be a 15" build to order option for the better graphic card like with previous generations.

All in all a good update, although I fin Apple a little bit cheap for not putting USB 3 ports. It's going to be annoying has hell to have a Thunderbolt hub for connecting the screen, and external mass storage devices and probably USB 3 devices.

Me I'm still wondering if I'm not keeping my creepy old C2D and buying the revised iMac that is sure to follow.

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
I am positively surprised by this refresh, if true!

And I am really amazed at the amount of ignorant whining already active here.

People expect too much from a 13'' - get real!

As for the 15'': that is prolly a low end, expect 1GB GPU as well in a high end one.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Wow, this sure looks nice! I'l probably wait for the 2012 total redesign, my core 2 duo is still serving me for the tasks i need and i have an SSD in it.

But still a nice refresh :cool:

slomap

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011

Theyt just try to use tried, tested components - remember the nVidia recall ? I don't think they want to risk that happening again. But fully agree that there's little sense in putting discrete graphics that's not much more powerful than IGP. Up to now the Open CL hardware support from nVidia could've been the reason, but with switch to AMD...

PS There's also battery life issue - the better GPU, the more juice it uses. Even with grapihcs switching it would consume more power and they wouldn't be able to claim 10 hrs battery life. You want more powerful GPU - there's BTO version for you, but you'll lose some battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.