Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I drained my 6+ the day I got it. I've been getting between 11.5 hours average of usage.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Been a week with my new iPhone 6 plus and this is what I'm getting. What do u guys think? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

u6O7ZGc.jpg

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Been a week with my new iPhone 6 plus and this is what I'm getting. What do u guys think? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Same situation over here bro... We are a race called power users... Check all the other posts with amazing battery life ... They are running basic applications ... Me and you run eveything like tinder and facebook and whatsapp and so much more during a day... Dont worry!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
On 8.1.1 I can consistently get at least 10.5 hours of usage with heavy surfing, 30 minute fetch on five email accounts, SMS and calls.
If I use a lot of Facebook, Whatsapp and apps which use GPS then I'm looking at 7.5 to 8.5 hours per charge.
8.1.2 was a different story and I could subtract a good hour from those figures.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I was seeing the same as you for the first week or so (received my phone the 5th) but today I'm getting incredible battery life! Check the screen shot out. I also have Bluetooth on 24/7 because I have a pebble so that doesn't help, but if it keeps this up I'll be more then happy! :)

which version are you running?

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Hey guys, I've had my eyes on iPhone 6+ for a month or two now because of the screen size & battery life, but looking at this thread makes me have doubts about the supposed amazing battery life. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to be convinced iPhone 6+ is amazing.

My phone right now is 5c (running iOS 8.1.2) and usually I get around 5(heavy usage with brightness 50-75%)~9.5(moderate to heavy on low brightness) hours of on screen. I was really excited after hearing somewhere iPhone 6+ has around 1.5-2 times more battery life than the 5 line.

So... I was expecting something like 10 minimum - 14/15 hours ish of on screen time. Doesn't seem to be the case? :(

Attached picture is my 5c battery life as of today. Sorry if the picture is weird, I am posting on my phone and this is like my second post.

I also applogize if my naive assumption sounds stupid. I just had super high expectations of the iPhone 6+ and I've been hearing so many problems about the new phone as I learn more and more so I'm a little bummed. (ex. bending, camera moving, scratch-prone, lack of memory etc etc)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 94

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Hey guys, I've had my eyes on iPhone 6+ for a month or two now because of the screen size & battery life, but looking at this thread makes me have doubts about the supposed amazing battery life. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to be convinced iPhone 6+ is amazing.

My phone right now is 5c (running iOS 8.1.2) and usually I get around 5(heavy usage with brightness 50-75%)~9.5(moderate to heavy on low brightness) hours of on screen. I was really excited after hearing somewhere iPhone 6+ has around 1.5-2 times more battery life than the 5 line.

So... I was expecting something like 10 minimum - 14/15 hours ish of on screen time. Doesn't seem to be the case? :(

Attached picture is my 5c battery life as of today. Sorry if the picture is weird, I am posting on my phone and this is like my second post.

I also applogize if my naive assumption sounds stupid. I just had super high expectations of the iPhone 6+ and I've been hearing so many problems about the new phone as I learn more and more so I'm a little bummed. (ex. bending, camera moving, scratch-prone, lack of memory etc etc)

You are a light user , as you can see most of your energy is put into less apps... Anytime usage you have on the 5c will be amplified to the 6 plus... If you used the 6 plus today i think you would have 11 hours .... Its all a ratio bro... Im a power user ...thats why i have 5 hours on my 6 plus at 50%

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Wow so a full charge would give you about 10 hours?! That's almost the battery of an iPad mini! Excited to receive my package!

But to be fair, the iPhone 6 Plus is almost the same size as the iPad Mini. Large battery means greater usage.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008

You have an app that left a rogue process running on your phone. Your usage/ standby times should not be the same unless you used your iPhone non-stop since you unplugged it at 100%. Also turn off background app refresh.

For me the problem app was Voxer. Reboot your phone to clear.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
You have an app that left a rogue process running on your phone. Your usage/ standby times should not be the same unless you used your iPhone non-stop since you unplugged it at 100%. Also turn off background app refresh.

For me the problem app was Voxer. Reboot your phone to clear.

Thanks for the tip but I actually did spend all night watching videos and browsing safari and texting and skyping so that is correct lol (stuff I do all the time during breaks haha). Sorry for not explaining.

You are a light user , as you can see most of your energy is put into less apps... Anytime usage you have on the 5c will be amplified to the 6 plus... If you used the 6 plus today i think you would have 11 hours .... Its all a ratio bro... Im a power user ...thats why i have 5 hours on my 6 plus at 50%

Ah I see. Thanks! I'm buying the new iPhone either way, (10 hours average is still great for a phone since my iPad Air lasts like 10-12) it's just that I happen to be the type of person who obsesses over the new electronic gadget she's getting and spends time reading up stuff about 'em beforehand. I'm pretty sure I'll love it unless things go terrible, which isn't TOO likely (I hope!) :D

Last edited:

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the tip but I actually did spend all night watching videos and browsing safari and texting and skyping so that is correct lol (stuff I do all the time during breaks haha). Sorry for not explaining.

Ah I see. Thanks! I'm buying the new iPhone either way, (10 hours average is still great for a phone since my iPad Air lasts like 10-12) it's just that I happen to be the type of person who obsesses over the new electronic gadget she's getting and spends time reading up stuff about 'em beforehand. I'm pretty sure I'll love it unless things go terrible, which isn't TOO likely (I hope!) :D

Your usage time and standby time are identical. Do you have any widgets running? That's probably the main cause.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
First full battery charge. This is what I got. Now I was trying to see how long it would last.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 84

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
8.1.2 and this is my battery today. Not used as heavily today but I'm still at 79% at 5pm!

That's very very good. Did you update OTA? Or restored it via iTunes? My phone came with 8.1 and I updated it to 8.1.2 and I am not feeling happy about its battery. This is the second day of normal usage. I reset my settings today so the battery usage data is lost. I will report back tomorrow and post a screenshot

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Screen size and battery life were the only things that made me upgrade my 5s to the 6 plus. I unplug at 6am monday thru Friday to go to UIC, and get home around 6:30pm with ~50% battery life remaining. Amazing.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
That's very very good. Did you update OTA? Or restored it via iTunes? My phone came with 8.1 and I updated it to 8.1.2 and I am not feeling happy about its battery. This is the second day of normal usage. I reset my settings today so the battery usage data is lost. I will report back tomorrow and post a screenshot
I think it came out of the box with 8.1.1 then the day 8.1.2 came out I updated to it OTA. Also I wanted to mention I set up my 6+ from a iCloud backup of my 5s. I figured I would see how the battery was and if I had issues and so far everything is ok.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Too lazy to do a screen shot right now. But at 37% battery, with 5 hours of use and 11 hours of standby. Depending on my usage I can go a full 24 hours on a charge. Outstanding for an iphone.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I think it came out of the box with 8.1.1 then the day 8.1.2 came out I updated to it OTA. Also I wanted to mention I set up my 6+ from a iCloud backup of my 5s. I figured I would see how the battery was and if I had issues and so far everything is ok.

I will try restoring from iCloud backup.

BrandonPrice31

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2014
ea11f79d34566a40b32d056a4394e502.jpg

Push off, location services set to while using app, minimal background refresh and notifications.

Why is my battery life so bad!!?? Diagnostics show battery as healthy and no software problems. Fresh clean restore too

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014

Push off, location services set to while using app, minimal background refresh and notifications.

Why is my battery life so bad!!?? Diagnostics show battery as healthy and no software problems. Fresh clean restore too

Because thats normal bud... Trust me... I have similar stats to that

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not saying that will help, Its just some people say restoring from an iCloud backup is bad for battery life, but I'm not having any issues.

Why is it that loading an iCloud backup onto a brand new iPhone never creates any battery drain problems, but with every iOS update thereafter it potentially can? I don't buy into iCloud backups creating problems; it's either a buggy Apple update that only they can fix with a future update, a corrupted installation by the user/his pc/Mac, or the user just hasn't toggled high drain functions off (such as background refresh etc) after the update. Sometimes an OTA update will create issues and in that case it's always best to do a fresh installation of the entire o/s via iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.