Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That GPU in the Macbook Air will be an issue when gaming in Windows way before the 4GB RAM will be. I wouldn't plan on playing any recent AAA titles, at least beyond the lowest settings. I know for a lot of games the integrated graphics don't even meet the official minimum specs.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
All the upgrades to the MBAs make them faster. Do you also think everybody is stupid for not getting the i5 to i7 upgrade or the 128GB to 256GB SSD upgrade?

Am I correct in assuming that you have all these upgrades?

NEVER said that, not calling anybody "STUPID", my point, for $100, why not?
Years ago, bought every baseline MBA with 64GB SSD that hit the refurb store, w/ 4GB/8GB Ram that came along, adding only 256/512 SSD's for my friends needs, great machines,ALL still running great, If I was ordering one they would always have MAXED OUT RAM, thats just me from my Windows days of building computers, I always maxed out ram, even when RAM was $$$$$$$, now it's dirt cheap, I say go for it!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Since the ram is soldered onto the logic board, I think choosing more ram for a hundred dollars is sound advice. Will it be used in 2015? Maybe not, but who knows what the future holds. I'd rather configure the computer for the future and not just for the present.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Since the ram is soldered onto the logic board, I think choosing more ram for a hundred dollars is sound advice. Will it be used in 2015? Maybe not, but who knows what the future holds. I'd rather configure the computer for the future and not just for the present.

Thanks Mike, should have said that as well, thanks for continuing my 67 year old thought process!:);)

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

The CPU is also soldered on, so why not get the CPU upgrade too?

We kinda know what the future holds. We can be pretty sure that Apple won't obsolete a computer that's bought today in the next few years.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If the OP stuck strickly to what they said 4GB is fine, but it's very easy for your interests to change and you want to experiment or push your machine farther.

8GB gives you some breathing room.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Same goes for the cpu upgrade. Also where I live the price difference can be up to 300€.

----------

If the OP stuck strickly to what they said 4GB is fine, but it's very easy for your interests to change and you want to experiment or push your machine farther.

8GB gives you some breathing room.
So does the faster cpu. And the bigger ssd. And better gpu.

----------

The performance difference between the 1.6ghz and 2.2ghz is supposed to be 25%. Wouldn't that be the more obvious upgrade?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
If i could get budget, i wouldnt open this thread
upgrading specs according your needs and budget
I have restricted budget :confused:
Before opening this thread, i knew the answer (4GB would be enough for my needs) more or less except for bootcamp
I have heard bootcamp requires much ram than OSX
That would be my only concern
On my current home computer, i have also 4 GB (old config though), Windows 7 currently using 1,61 GB
Launching Chrome = 2 GB
Basically i m using between 2-2.6 GB when it comes to web browsing only

PS: i bought last year MBA 11 with 8 GB + 128 go SSD then i sold it later due to some financial issues

Last edited:

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
Memory usage is application specific. I usually run with 4 or more browsers open and sometime 50+ tabs each and when I check system memory, I see each instance is using 3-4GB each, so I hit 16GB of usage on just web sites, not counting any adobe uses or other apps running at the same time.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Memory usage is application specific. I usually run with 4 or more browsers open and sometime 50+ tabs each and when I check system memory, I see each instance is using 3-4GB each, so I hit 16GB of usage on just web sites, not counting any adobe uses or other apps running at the same time.

4 browsers simultaneously and 50+ tabs each? That's some mad ninja web browsing!

Abbara

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2014
1) 4 vs 8 isn't just about today. You have to consider people use Macs for years. Think about what your apps require of your computer in 2020. And also, think about what OS X upgrades will require over the years.

2) you can never change the RAM.

3) you have no options if you need more RAM.

That's why people tend to choose the 8gb RAM. It's not that expensive, either, usually about $100 more.

Storage is a different issue,

where 1) they charge $200 more for more storage.

2) you can install a bigger SSD later (for less)

3) you can get external harddrives for big files at 8 cents per gigabyte, while the extra 128gb SSD costs more than $1.50 per gigabyte.

For browsing and video, 4gb is definitely enough. But for gaming on a virtual machine for example, not just today but also in 2018, I'd definitely try to scrape together $100 and get the 8gb version. Your resale value will go up a bit, too, as f trying to sell 4gb in 2020 when you want to sell your Mac is like trying to sell a Mac with 2gb today.

I think with your usage you can get away with 4gb though, as long as your games aren't heavy, but it's a risk.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I've never understood the point of dozens or even hundreds of browser tabs open at once, but that seems to be the number 1 argument people use for needing more RAM.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
the absurd reasoning of the 4gb max ram squad are hitting new lows every day.

If I can expand on what Meister is saying, it's that the working set of tabs is minimal. They might use tens or hundreds of megabytes of memory, but if you don't look at the tab for a while, then almost all of the memory it's using will eventually get swapped out and have no impact on your system's performance.

Just as it doesn't really matter if you have N apps open. If you don't use an app for a while, it gets swapped out and has no effect on anything, except that when you go back to that app, it might take a second or two to load the working set back in from swap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_set

This is why it is frankly irrelevant to describe memory usage in terms of apps open or tabs open... the only relevant metric is how much memory you're actively using over a reasonable time period.

Again, that's not to say that 4GB is enough for any conceivable purpose. I don't think anybody has ever argued that on this forum except as a ridiculous strawman argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Again, that's not to say that 4GB is enough for any conceivable purpose. I don't think anybody has ever argued that on this forum except as a ridiculous strawman argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

i have seen PLENTY of that from your squad.

upvoted in mere minutes. 4gb even 2gb being enough for EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. that's why the absurdities don't shock me anymore. and why these threads keep popping up all the time. many people don't believe this cause it goes against logic and want opinions of others. you guys are highly motivated, rude and aggressive.

you are wrong though for many reasons. in another thread members of the 4gb max ram squad just couldn't believe that 0 swapping and 0 memory pressure is even possible. you hide the fact that you get beachballs all the time.

you are stuck with the 4gb and now you want people who go on a techie site like macrumors (people who care about tech), to buy brand new macs with 4gb ram in 2015 when ram is dirt cheap and soldered on.

Shared joy is increased, shared pain is lessened.

we can have a conversation about too much ram at about 16+ or 32+. not 2, not 4, not 8.

xylitol

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Finland
Is buying a laptop a major life decision? If I buy a 4GB base model for my current need, am I somehow stuck with my decision should my needs change? Don't they sell new computers? I'm intrigued by this future proofing mania.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Is buying a laptop a major life decision? If I buy a 4GB base model for my current need, am I somehow stuck with my decision should my needs change? Don't they sell new computers? I'm intrigued by this future proofing mania.

yes it is. i guess you can replace your computer every year. i can't.
calling this future proofing mania makes you the maniac.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The performance difference between the 1.6ghz and 2.2ghz is supposed to be 25%. Wouldn't that be the more obvious upgrade?

I think the ram better positions you for the future imo.

If you swing both, then that makes the most sense, i.e., get the most computer for your budget - that advice has been sound in the past and in this case fits as well.

xylitol

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Finland
yes it is. i guess you can replace your computer every year. i can't.
calling this future proofing mania makes you the maniac.

Instead of future proofing, I put that money in real investments, and because of that I could indeed replace my computer(s) every year (but usually won't).

And speaking of investments, THIS isn't time well spent, but at least these 4 vs 8GB threads are somewhat entertaining. I love the deliberately inaccurate term '4gb max ram squad'.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
4gb even 2gb being enough for EVERYTHING for EVERYONE.
You must be hallucinating. I do not recall a post here ever, where someone would've stated that 4gb and (help us god!!) 2gb of memory are enough fo everything. That is just plain nonsense.

----------

you are wrong though for many reasons. in another thread members of the 4gb max ram squad just couldn't believe that 0 swapping and 0 memory pressure is even possible. you hide the fact that you get beachballs all the time.
I take your word for your amazing zero-swap. My girlfriend has an mba with 4gb, my rmbp has 8gb. Her mba never beachballs and I've done some pretty crazy things on it. My rmbp beachballs sometimes very, very briefly, because I multitask cpu intense tasks and the dual core can only handle so much. If yo think that macbook airs with 2 or 4 gb lag for browsing, email, office apps or Lightroom, you are simply wrong.

----------

you are stuck with the 4gb and now you want people who go on a techie site like macrumors (people who care about tech), to buy brand new macs with 4gb ram in 2015 when ram is dirt cheap and soldered on.

Shared joy is increased, shared pain is lessened.
For some people 4gb or even 8gb of ram are not enough. It would be very bad advise to tell them to underspec their mac like that. For others however it's a waste of $$$. I myself have a rmbp with 8gb ram. My mini has 4, but is upgrable. His next upgrade will be an ssd. I am not "stuck with 4gb RAM".

----------

I think the ram better positions you for the future imo.

If you swing both, then that makes the most sense, i.e., get the most computer for your budget - that advice has been sound in the past and in this case fits as well.
For only $100 the upgrade is well worth considering. Problem is that in most places it costs more than that. Here a base mba is still 850€. With 8gigs its 1150€. Almost 40% price increase. That is a huge difference!

From my experience the cpu upgrade is immediately noticable when working with media. The ram upgrade not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.