Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arth7ur

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I hope they wrap up looking for the girl in the next episode. If not show her as a zombie!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunately the issue numbers sent so clear in the compendium 1-48, but the events I am referring to take place near the end of the Compendium, around issue 40. (EDIT confirmed that this is issue 40).

History has a tendency to repeat itself.

EDIT: Read all the way to issue 48 when they leave the prison.

EDIT 2: my opinions of Carl rely on events in issues 61-66, so you've got a lot of reading to do. ;)

B

Ack! You are right! I'll keep reading. Seems like with zombies around, you end up with limbless bite survivors. :)

Is anyone thrilled with the iOS game, Walking Dead? I thought I'd buy the package, but when it comes to pulling the trigger, I'm resisting. What do you all think of Episodes 2-4? Thanks!

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Regarding Alan and Dale, they both get their legs chopped off? The authors are not getting repetitive are they? ;) I'll keep reading. :)

There's a good reason for thinking it will turn out differently the second time. Skimming over the two incidents, they've hybridized them a bit. Yet if you read on you'll get he distinct impression that TV Herschel is filling most of Comic Dale's role in the story.

I need to re-read the issues where Allen gets it as they are kind of fuzzy.

B

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
There's a good reason for thinking it will turn out differently the second time. Skimming over the two incidents, they've hybridized them a bit. Yet if you read on you'll get he distinct impression that TV Herschel is filling most of Comic Dale's role in the story.

B

Yup, couldn't agree more.

The people who make the sure were not lying when they said this season will be non stop, fast paced and oh so gory!

I can't tell if Laure is actually liking the governor or liking the fact she is not out in the wild with the Zombies? Trying to find any sort of resemblance to a life she once lived.

I guess you could say she has the kiss of death. Last time we saw her with a gent, that guy was killed shortly after! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yup, couldn't agree more.

The people who make the sure were not lying when they said this season will be non stop, fast paced and oh so gory!

I can't tell if Laure is actually liking the governor or liking the fact she is not out in the wild with the Zombies? Trying to find any sort of resemblance to a life she once lived.

I guess you could say she has the kiss of death. Last time we saw her with a gent, that guy was killed shortly after! :)

I believe the latter, however, from what they have portrayed the Governor, he does not seem to be so bad from Andrea's perspective. She does not realize he murders people (like the soldiers in the show) when he rationalizes it is for the good of his group and himself. The show has not yet portrayed the brutality as referenced in the comic version.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I believe the latter, however, from what they have portrayed the Governor, he does not seem to be so bad from Andrea's perspective. She does not realize he murders people (like the soldiers in the show) when he rationalizes it is for the good of his group and himself. The show has not yet portrayed the brutality as referenced in the comic version.
The degree of brutality? I would agree.. but they certainly have shown him to be pretty brutal:

- kills the downed helicopter pilot after getting info on the rest of his squad
- kills the rest of the helicopter pilot's squad
- he seems to kill off the women he's tired of... at least that's what I gathered from that list of names in his book with the name Penny crossed out at at the bottom of his list
- and finally... he keeps freaking zombie heads in a wall of aquariums(!!!!)

Andrea may not have seen this, but Michonne has certainly surmised that the Governoer is not on the up and up (eg. questions the Governor about the helicopter's death suspiciously, notices the blood on the army vehicle tires, sees the Governor's zombie daughter, finds the book with the list of women's names crossed out, finds the walkers).

I guess if I were Andrea, I would put my trust in someone who saved my life for several months, took care of me when I was sick and slowing her down... you get the picture. Andrea, to me... just isn't the strong, independent character that she is in the comics. Which is disappointing to me...

B
At the prison, Allen has helped Rick and the group clear some of the cell blocks... he doesn't notice a crawling zombie without legs reach out and bit him in the leg... Rick chops off his leg and Allen loses consciousness. He later dies from the loss of too much blood, at which point Rick shoots him in the head to keep him from turning.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
- he seems to kill off the women he's tired of... at least that's what I gathered from that list of names in his book with the name Penny crossed out at at the bottom of his list

I took this very differently. IIRC Penny is the Governor's zombie daughter. I took the book to be a list of people who had turned and that after Penny turned he "lost it".

The brutality of Woodbury in the comic is far more overt than it is in the show so far. Rick, Glenn and Michonne are pretty clear about what kind of person they are dealing with from the get go in the comic.

And the book is part of that more subtle/hidden nature of the TV Governor.

B

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I took this very differently. IIRC Penny is the Governor's zombie daughter. I took the book to be a list of people who had turned and that after Penny turned he "lost it".

The brutality of Woodbury in the comic is far more overt than it is in the show so far. Rick, Glenn and Michonne are pretty clear about what kind of person they are dealing with from the get go in the comic.

B
Ahhh, that wiki is a nice source. It's been awhile since I read the comics, but yeah that makes more sense to me now.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

B

Yup this is how I took it also. Once he lost Penny he pretty much went off the deep end.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Significant Spoilers Follow!

B

Agreed! From his first appearance and interactions in the comic, you know immediately the Governor is a very bad person. In the show, they are taking a different approach, allowing the bad things to slowly emerge. And even though he has killed some people in the show, his character is much more sympathetic. In the first gladiator zombie fight, the Governor told Andrea it was all staged. The comic, misleads readers into thinking people are eaten from the start in the Arena. However, the fate of the helo crash survivors is in question, but there is no doubt the Governor is brutal. :)

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Significant Spoilers Follow!

Agreed! From his first appearance and interactions in the comic, you know immediately the Governor is a very bad person. In the show, they are taking a different approach, allowing the bad things to slowly emerge. And even though he has killed some people in the show, his character is much more sympathetic. In the first gladiator zombie fight, the Governor told Andrea it was all staged. The comic, misleads readers into thinking people are eaten from the start in the Arena. However, the fate of the helo crash survivors is in question, but there is no doubt the Governor is brutal. :)

I think we have a few more episodes to go before we really see how "Brutal" the Governor can really be! I am hoping there is a portion even off camera of him and Michone.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think we have a few more episodes to go before we really see how "Brutal" the Governor can really be! I am hoping there is a portion even off camera of him and Michone.

As far as I've gotten in the comic (Episode 42), the depiction of brutality between two main characters is at the top of my scale. (I've never watched the latest round of horror flicks like Hostile and Saw.) I'll only mention one tool involved- a pair of pliers. ;)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This last episode was fairly predictable. I think we all knew that Andrea and the Gov were going to end up involved. And, it was clear as day that the Gov was going to send a party out after Michone. I did not see Merle capturing member's of the party though, but you knew they had to come up with some way to connect them.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
This last episode was fairly predictable. I think we all knew that Andrea and the Gov were going to end up involved. And, it was clear as day that the Gov was going to send a party out after Michone. I did not see Merle capturing member's of the party though, but you knew they had to come up with some way to connect them.

I am hoping with the capture of these two, that we get to see the true colors of the Governor. Since it doesn' look like he is going to have his way with Michone, I am wondering if he will take it out on Maggie.

However he might not be so into the "sexual" side of things now that he has Andrea.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am hoping with the capture of these two, that we get to see the true colors of the Governor. Since it doesn' look like he is going to have his way with Michone, I am wondering if he will take it out on Maggie.

IMO what the Comic Governor did to Comic Michonne was all violence.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that TV Merle is a proxy for the violent side of the Comic Governor. There's more chance for TV Merle to torture TV Glenn or TV Maggie for effect given their relationship. That wasn't quite a strong driver for Rick/Michonne/Glenn in the comic. I'm also guessing that Glenn will be the target of his aggression.

B

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
SPOILERS and stuff

Maybe I should read the comics to gain some appreciation for this series because other than Daryl, I don't like a single one of the characters. And even then I don't get Daryl. "Hey, noise attracts walkers so I kill with a crossbow but I'mma ride this loud-ass motorcycle anyway." :D

Can't there be any other likeable characters? I had some hopes for Andrea after her and Michonne (that zombie-on-a-leash thing to blend in was brilliant) but Andrea proves to be a tedious, spineless moron like the rest of them.

Good riddance to Lori. She died like the pathetic white trash cliche she always was. "Oh, save my loud, needy little baby. I'll just give up here on this nasty prison floor." I still have no idea why she didn't just take the abortion pills. Guess that would have more upsetting than bringing a child into a zombie-riddled world.

I haven't seen the latest episode (the one after the RINGING PHONE) because it airs here Friday. I take it Rick is losing his marbles.

I think I only keep watching this show for the same reason people turn their heads to see accidents. I still just wish they could step it up with characters. It always feels like this show has incredible potential but never lives up to it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Maybe I should read the comics to gain some appreciation for this series because other than Daryl, I don't like a single one of the characters. And even then I don't get Daryl. "Hey, noise attracts walkers so I kill with a crossbow but I'mma ride this loud-ass motorcycle anyway." :D

Can't there be any other likeable characters? I had some hopes for Andrea after her and Michonne (that zombie-on-a-leash thing to blend in was brilliant) but Andrea proves to be a tedious, spineless moron like the rest of them.

Good riddance to Lori. She died like the pathetic white trash cliche she always was. "Oh, save my loud, needy little baby. I'll just give up here on this nasty prison floor." I still have no idea why she didn't just take the abortion pills. Guess that would have more upsetting than bringing a child into a zombie-riddled world.

I haven't seen the latest episode (the one after the RINGING PHONE) because it airs here Friday. I take it Rick is losing his marbles.

I think I only keep watching this show for the same reason people turn their heads to see accidents. I still just wish they could step it up with characters. It always feels like this show has incredible potential but never lives up to it.

In a way yes.

However I don't know if you would like the comics much more. There is a tad bit more of character development however it is still a comic. :) A rather brutal and violent one at that!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I don't know how or why, but the female characters in the TV show have gone from 2D in the comic to 1D on TV. They are all useless/spineless.

Even Carol has more going on in the book.

B
Yes, thank you!

I don't know if it's the Hollywood-ification of strong women into stupid, archaic stereotypes... but it's disappointing.

Carol isn't the best example, as she's a complete departure from the comic book... but some of the comics just aren't translating to the small screen, which takes away somewhat from the complexity that many of the characters show in the books.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I don't know if it's the Hollywood-ification of strong women into stupid, archaic stereotypes... but it's disappointing.

Andrea is particularly disappointing because in the book she has a clearly defined role in the group. Sharpshooter. Her relationships with Dale and later Rick also give her a bit more substance. Her "falling for" the Governor is completely uncharacteristic with her character in the book.

Carol is a different example, as I think there was some promise in the TV show of having her evolve from battered/abused woman (not in the comic) to ... something ... at least something other than a wallflower?!? I had hope for her again as she was training to perform the C-section, but since Maggie ended up doing it what was all that for?

B

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
Carol is becoming a stronger person in the series than she was at the beginning w/ her abusive husband.

Andrea is a boss in the comics, being a sharp shooter and what not. Since Hershel is becoming comic Dale, do you think the two will hook up? Probably not but.. ya never know.

& I think Michonne will bring an interesting mix to the ladies of the show -- for some reason all they've been doing is showing her scowl lol.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I think Michonne will bring an interesting mix to the ladies of the show -- for some reason all they've been doing is showing her scowl lol.

She doesn't talk much in the book either though.

Somehow I don't picture comic Michonne as hiding while Merle attacks Glenn and Maggie.

Even she seems watered down from the book.

For some reason they avoided the whole Andrea/Dale/Amy "thing" in S1 so I don't think they'll bring it full circle by having her shack up with Herschel. The Governor "relationship" is a big change from the book.

B

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
She doesn't talk much in the book either though.

Somehow I don't picture comic Michonne as hiding while Merle attacks Glenn and Maggie.

Even she seems watered down from the book.

For some reason they avoided the whole Andrea/Dale/Amy "thing" in S1 so I don't think they'll bring it full circle by having her shack up with Herschel. The Governor "relationship" is a big change from the book.

B

Big change isn't even the word. But then again, the writers and even Robert K. has said this is a different but parallel universe so we will see different things. For better or worse I do not know.

I agree about Andrea, she is watered down and this new thing with the Governor is from left field as there was not even a hint of this type of relationship with any female and the Governor in the book .

We still get the Governors creepiness however we really haven't seen his brutality. Yes we have seen him kill a few soldiers, but nothing that would warrant the badass that we have seen from the books. He to is watered down, however we would have to be on a HBO or Showtime network to see some of his antics.

Michone doesn't really talk much in the book, even in the prison part of the book, she mainly talks to the black character, forgetting his name right now. She pretty much always looked pissed off to boot.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think Michonne will bring an interesting mix to the ladies of the show -- for some reason all they've been doing is showing her scowl lol.

She pretty much always looked pissed off to boot.

My wife jokes that it must be a pretty easy role for the actress because she never has to change her facial expression. At least we saw some change at the end of the last episode with the scene at the prison fence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.