Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Only watched 2 episodes of this season so far, I think I've finally gotten bored of it. The episodes are downloaded and ready to go but there is zero motivation for me to carry on.

But! Have the last few been good?

I can't speak for you, but I have greatly enjoyed the last couple of episodes with the group split up trying to find each other, with smaller group dynamics. As I said, I did not realize what a rut they were in at the prison. This is an after the fact feeling. I like this direction.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I can't speak for you, but I have greatly enjoyed the last couple of episodes with the group split up trying to find each other, with smaller group dynamics. As I said, I did not realize what a rut they were in at the prison. This is an after the fact feeling. I like this direction.

I have also. Though, for the life of me, I can't figure out why the heck they didn't have a plan in place to meet up somewhere if they got run out of the prison in a hurry.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have also. Though, for the life of me, I can't figure out why the heck they didn't have a plan in place to meet up somewhere if they got run out of the prison in a hurry.

This seems to be a decision by the Tv producers as I recall in the comic the survivors joined up quickly after the prison.

Last edited:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Man, this show isn't afraid to drop a cast member or two.

I agree about a rendezvous point. Bad writing I suppose, but it does reflect on the characters. They should have had a plan in place, even if it went to hell and we still wind up with a separated crew.

Also, after shooting the girl, I at least thought they'd pop that Walker on the tracks and not let it live. Least they coulda done after what just went down.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This seems to be a decision by the Tv producers as I recall in the comic the survivors joined up quickly after the prison.

Exactly. I think what seems like weeks, is probably most likely days. I am thinking the time lines are all moving at the same time even though we are just seeing one at a time.

One of the best episodes I thought was this last weekends episode. One of the most gut wrenching to say the least!

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I really like the episodes where they focus on one small group of people. I could see where some people might find it boring but it creates some great drama, gives the actors a chance to shine, and really helps develop a connection with the characters.

I'm also glad that they're not hunkered down in one spot for the entire season like they had been (farm, prison).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This will be a spoiler for anyone who has not seen the S4,E4: The Grove, when Tyreese, Carol and the kids consider staying at a farm they come across.

That was....jarring.

I'd just started to get over the beheading of Herschel...

I quickly scanned over reply #554 so it did not initially register with me. I assume you are speaking of Season 4, Episode 14: The Grove. aired 16Mar. Just watched it tonight. Normally I'm bothered a little when significant characters die, but this episode kicked me in the emotional gut. It's all pretend, but the visualization of the choice that had to be made, made me feel ill, although considering what transpired, it was really toned down for television. I don't think U.S. TV could have handled it any other way, but leaving it to my imagination did not ease the shock. However, I'm glad Carol finally got her secret off her chest. :p

Overall, the second half of this season has been a home run, returning it to a Season One high point.

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
This will be a spoiler for anyone who has not seen the S4,E4: The Grove, when Tyreese, Carol and the kids consider staying at a farm they come across.

I quickly scanned over reply #554 so it did not initially register with me. I assume you are speaking of Season 4, Episode 14: The Grove. aired 16Mar. Just watched it tonight. Normally I'm bothered a little when significant characters die, but this episode kicked me in the emotional gut. It's all pretend, but the visualization of the choice that had to be made, made me feel ill, although considering what transpired, it was really toned down for television. I don't think U.S. TV could have handled it any other way, but leaving it to my imagination did not ease the shock. However, I'm glad Carol finally got her secret off her chest. :p

Overall, the second half of this season has been a home run, returning it to a Season One high point.

That's the one. I agree, this half of the season has been great. Splitting these characters up at least temporarily gives you a chance to get to know them a bit better. I'd say we're not going to forget Lizzie any time soon.

Who else breathed a sigh of relief to see at least Judith was spared?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's the one. I agree, this half of the season has been great. Splitting these characters up at least temporarily gives you a chance to get to know them a bit better. I'd say we're not going to forget Lizzie any time soon.

Knowing what happened in the comic, me too, although that might be too much for a network like AMC.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

Which means when or if they meet a their demise it will be that much harder.

I am still wondering if they are going to keep Judith around? If you have read the comics you know what I mean.

I too am really digging this season alot!!!!!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I am still wondering if they are going to keep Judith around? If you have read the comics you know what I mean.

As far as I know, the story line we are talking about has not happened in the comic, so this was creative and daring, along with shocking and a great example of survival morality that put, I imagine, most viewers in a very uncomfortable place.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

It's interesting to compare the two different versions of the Walking Dead storyline, but increasingly they're too divergent to really use the comic as a map for the show.

Which is both comforting and not.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
As far as I know, the story line we are talking about has not happened in the comic, so this was creative and daring, along with shocking and a great example of survival morality that put, I imagine, most viewers in a very uncomfortable place.

You are correct that hasn't happened in the Comic Books. However I can see them doing a nod to the books
if they take out Judith in another brutal fashion, like she was in the books with the wife

Again, bringing some happiness to Rick, only to devastate him once again. Push him to the limits. Like they have done in the books repeatedly.

It's interesting to compare the two different versions of the Walking Dead storyline, but increasingly they're too divergent to really use the comic as a map for the show.

Which is both comforting and not.

This is true, there is a lot that has happened in both that have not happened in both... if you know what I mean.

I am thinking the comic is more of a very loose outline of what is to happen. maybe not to THAT specific character, but something along those lines is to happen to someone on the show.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

The main event of "The Grove" are parallel to the events from Issue 61, though the choice of person who has to clean up the mess from the comic books was even more daring than the TV version. (IMO)

I still think the Governor's end in the comic book was better than the TV version, because of what happened to Judith and who "took him out".

B

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Holy cow, Lizzy was just a complete psycho!

That is an understatement in my book!

Killing bunnies and other small creatures
One scene she doesn't want to hurt them
Next scene she is feeding them mice and what not
Next scene she is running away for them
Next scene she kills her little sister so she can bring her back to play her
Same scene was going to kill the baby

Look at the flowers!!!!! :D

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Look at the flowers!!!!! :D

I've seen pictures like this pop up often in other online forums recently...

keep-calm-and-look-at-the-flowers-76.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The main event of "The Grove" are parallel to the events from Issue 61, though the choice of person who has to clean up the mess from the comic books was even more daring than the TV version. (IMO)

I still think the Governor's end in the comic book was better than the TV version, because of what happened to Judith and who "took him out".

B

Well you are right and I've got a lousy memory. :eek: Now that I reviewed it, the Lizzy episode still hit me harder.

Holy cow, Lizzy was just a complete psycho!

Yeah, lol. :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Well you are right and I've got a lousy memory. :eek: Now that I reviewed it, the Lizzy episode still hit me harder.

There was a much longer set up for the TV version and we had more invested in the characters we lost.

The isolation of the small group also heightened the tension. There were too many opinions floating around in the comic.

Though IMO Tyrese really didn't have to spell out what Lizzie had some back at the prison for us, it was already crystal clear.

It's odd, but I think Carol has become the TV show's version of comic Andrea. She's nothing like her comic book counterpart.

B

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There was a much longer set up for the TV version and we had more invested in the characters we lost.

The isolation of the small group also heightened the tension. There were too many opinions floating around in the comic.

Though IMO Tyrese really didn't have to spell out what Lizzie had some back at the prison for us, it was already crystal clear.

It's odd, but I think Carol has become the TV show's version of comic Andrea. She's nothing like her comic book counterpart.

B

They have transposed some comic character personalities and/or events to others. Deviations have been significant but the overall framework and tone has been preserved.

Deviating from the original story that I like works for me if they don't go too far with the changes. I can enjoy TWD and X-Men, despite differences, but True Blood was over the top for me.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just a quick question for those who have/are reading the comic. Is "Terminus" in the comics or is this story arc something created by the television writers? I'm just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.