Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
They have transposed some comic character personalities and/or events to others. Deviations have been significant but the overall framework and tone has been preserved.

Deviating from the original story that I like works for me if they don't go too far with the changes. I can enjoy TWD and X-Men, despite differences, but True Blood was over the top for me.

Don't even get me started on True Blood. Man Ball (the creator of the show) destroyed that show. He literally ruined it. If any of you have been to SDCC where he has spoken, he is liked because he brought the show to HBO, but he is panned because he has deviated so much from the books. Heck even Charline Harris doesn't want anything to really do with the shows. Except the money of course.

----------

Short answer: no with qualifiers. I consider the following spoiler a mild one. :)

Spoiler

Terminus is not in the comic, however in the comic after they arrive in D.C., they run into a bad group of people who live in a fortified factory, which this looks suspiciously like. And I don't remember it being called Terminus in the comic. Are the producers messing around with comic readers or is this a major juxtaposition of the story? Only time will tell. :)

Are you talking about "The Alexandria Safe Zone"?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Don't even get me started on True Blood. Man Ball (the creator of the show) destroyed that show. He literally ruined it. If any of you have been to SDCC where he has spoken, he is liked because he brought the show to HBO, but he is panned because he has deviated so much from the books. Heck even Charline Harris doesn't want anything to really do with the shows. Except the money of course.

Do you mean Alan Ball? Besides inserting too many gay elements into the story, he completely destroyed the tone and story environment of the books (Southern Vampire Mysteries), a first person narrative, by darkening it up (let's say pitch black) and removing the humorous observations and perspective of the heroine Sookie Stackhouse. There was nothing humorous about this show at all which may not bother anyone who has not read the books. If you like a good vampire yarn, I highly recommend the books! I can always hope for a reboot. :)

Are you talking about "The Alexandria Safe Zone"?

For Terminus, I was referring to Negan's place which based on its appearance, really surprised me that they chose this location in the show for this part of the story.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Do you mean Alan Ball? Besides inserting too many gay elements into the story, he completely destroyed the tone and story environment of the book, a narrative, by darkening up the story and removing the humorous observations and perspective of the heroine Sookie Stackhouse. There was nothing humorous about this show at all which may not bother anyone who has not read the books. I can always hope for a reboot. :)

Yes Alan Ball. He killed the story. I completely agree with your comments on this. Not to mention, not knowing when to kill the story. Some of the arch's were waaaaaaaay to long and seemed to drag on.

For Terminus, I was referring to Negan's place which based on its appearance, really surprised me that they chose this location in the show for this part of the story.

Hmmmmm.............. I didn't get that vibe from it. For some reason I keep thinking cannibals mixed in with religion fanatics.

If that is the case, then we will see Negan sooner than later!!!!!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Negan's place is a factory. This place looks just like it. :)

Oh I am aware, but the people seemed to happy! I didn't really see the factory part of the bullet making, weapon making etc. I agree this location is pretty big and very industrial.

Maybe part of me is hoping this isn't the saviors, just yet. But they did call the place sanctuary. All of these little clues are leaning more and more towards this.

In a Q&A on Twitter before the finale, Scott Gimple (current WD show-runner) confirmed that we will be seeing Negan, he just didn't say when. So he's definitely in the plans.

Robert Kirkman, a while ago said we would be seeing Negan also.

This just seems really really early to see him though.

However watching the episode again this morning, I have to say there are a few telling signs that we may in fact be at the saviors.

The amount of man and weapon power this group has reminds me of the saviors. But the saviors were not that friendly to begin with. Especially when "negotiating" for supplies etc.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh I am aware, but the people seemed to happy! I didn't really see the factory part of the bullet making, weapon making etc. I agree this location is pretty big and very industrial.

Maybe part of me is hoping this isn't the saviors, just yet. But they did call the place sanctuary. All of these little clues are leaning more and more towards this.

Robert Kirkman, a while ago said we would be seeing Negan also.

This just seems really really early to see him though.

However watching the episode again this morning, I have to say there are a few telling signs that we may in fact be at the saviors.

The amount of man and weapon power this group has reminds me of the saviors. But the saviors were not that friendly to begin with. Especially when "negotiating" for supplies etc.

Just to clarify, my comment was based on how it resembles Negan's headquarters in the comic rendering, but not to suspect or infer it was his place, considering they are not supposed to be near DC yet where all of that goes down. I did notice the pile of human skeletons, so I'm assuming these are the Hunters. I am surprised they picked such a place that looked so much like Negan's for this encounter whoever they are. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Just to clarify, my comment was based on how it resembles Negan's headquarters in the comic rendering, but not to suspect or infer it was his place, considering they are not supposed to be near DC yet where all of that goes down. I did notice the pile of human skeletons, so I'm assuming these are the Hunters. I am surprised they picked such a place that looked so much like Negan's for this encounter whoever they are. :)

My first thought when they started going down the tracks, was they would be the Hunters also. But the hunters liked to follow and well hunt. This might be an easier way of getting their pray. Have the pray come to them!

The body parts and pieces of meat on the BBQ, I am thinking the hunters too!

And your are correct about the location, we should be in/near/at Washington for the Saviors plot line, but then again, the producers can pretty much do what they wish.

On a side note, are you all caught up on the Comic Book front? I have two more issues that I need to read, but I like what Negan is doing with the weapons! hahahaha

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My first thought when they started going down the tracks, was they would be the Hunters also. But the hunters liked to follow and well hunt. This might be an easier way of getting their pray. Have the pray come to them!

The body parts and pieces of meat on the BBQ, I am thinking the hunters too!

And your are correct about the location, we should be in/near/at Washington for the Saviors plot line, but then again, the producers can pretty much do what they wish.

On a side note, are you all caught up on the Comic Book front? I have two more issues that I need to read, but I like what Negan is doing with the weapons! hahahaha

I'm about 3 or 5 behind. I'm deciding whether I want to pay $2.99 a digital issue or wait until they drop to $1.99. Yeah I'm cheap! :p

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Just finished watching the season finale, thank goodness for On Demand.

Anyway, glad to see the "Daryl and the Rough Riders" story come to a conclusion when it did. I don't think I could have handled waiting for all of them to meet up at Terminus just to see an explosive finale considering how much was all ready going on with the people at Terminus.

I really wan't expecting to see Herschel again but it was great to see him in the flashback scenes.

About Terminus....

First of all, I learned that Soylent Green came in BBQ! :p

I expected a bigger introduction and some sort of backstory when Rick and crew got to Terminus. I suppose it makes sense to get what we saw considering how big Terminus will be next season.

I was expecting a bigger cliff hanger at the end of the episode, in the middle of a battle for example. But as the scene cut when it did with them all inside the train car, even if the series ended here, I could actually live with it somewhat knowing that they'd all be fine with Rick leading them. Why is that? Well Rick did say that the fine folks at Terminus just messed with the wrong group of people. And when you mess with Rick, be prepared to pay with your life.

What can we expect next season? Well I don't read the comics so I have no clue what to expect other than the fact that the show is loosely based off the comic books and we'll see elements of the books come to life and make it to the screen. So that leaves me with following the conversation about the comic books. But from the way this season ended, I think we'll see a very explosive first few episodes next season where we may not even see Walkers for a while. I also hope we don't get that lull like we did during the first half of this season. We really need to see what Terminus is, how it came to be, and what Rick and crew does to get out of this situation.

Lastly, it's going to suck having to wait until October for the next season to start! :eek:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Just finished watching the season finale, thank goodness for On Demand.

Anyway, glad to see the "Daryl and the Rough Riders" story come to a conclusion when it did. I don't think I could have handled waiting for all of them to meet up at Terminus just to see an explosive finale considering how much was all ready going on with the people at Terminus.

I really wan't expecting to see Herschel again but it was great to see him in the flashback scenes.

About Terminus....

First of all, I learned that Soylent Green came in BBQ! :p

I expected a bigger introduction and some sort of backstory when Rick and crew got to Terminus. I suppose it makes sense to get what we saw considering how big Terminus will be next season.

I was expecting a bigger cliff hanger at the end of the episode, in the middle of a battle for example. But as the scene cut when it did with them all inside the train car, even if the series ended here, I could actually live with it somewhat knowing that they'd all be fine with Rick leading them. Why is that? Well Rick did say that the fine folks at Terminus just messed with the wrong group of people. And when you mess with Rick, be prepared to pay with your life.

What can we expect next season? Well I don't read the comics so I have no clue what to expect other than the fact that the show is loosely based off the comic books and we'll see elements of the books come to life and make it to the screen. So that leaves me with following the conversation about the comic books. But from the way this season ended, I think we'll see a very explosive first few episodes next season where we may not even see Walkers for a while. I also hope we don't get that lull like we did during the first half of this season. We really need to see what Terminus is, how it came to be, and what Rick and crew does to get out of this situation.

Lastly, it's going to suck having to wait until October for the next season to start! :eek:

Even the comic book fans do not know what is coming, since this story is not in the comics. We are seeing bits and pieces being sprinkled throughout the "terminus" location of what it might be. But I know I don't know what to really expect!

And Amen to the having to wait till October. Ugh!!!

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Anyone else find Darryl's reaction a little odd when Rick asked what happened to Beth? He said something like "she's just gone." I'm sure her story will come back into play at some point but after their bonding episode(s) it seems strange that he's not at all concerned or thinking about going after her.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Anyone else find Darryl's reaction a little odd when Rick asked what happened to Beth? He said something like "she's just gone." I'm sure her story will come back into play at some point but after their bonding episode(s) it seems strange that he's not at all concerned or thinking about going after her.

Yeah, both me and the wife did. I also found it odd that Rick didn't question it any more.......

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

It seemed like he was developing a relationship with her so it surprised me too that he at least did not say she was abducted. My only explanation might be he is in survival mode, gave up on finding her, so he's putting her out of his mind? Not sure. In that kind of a world, the prospect of finding someone who is whisked away in a car seems daunting. Yes you could start walking up that road, but what range does a car have with a full tank of gas and what happens at the first cross road? Not helping he got commandeered by that now-dead group. I had mixed feelings about them. I can't say they were automatically bad, but their sense of justice seemed extreme and I suspect it was not applied evenly. :p

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
It seemed like he was developing a relationship with her so it surprised me too that he at least did not say she was abducted. My only explanation might be he is in survival mode, gave up on finding her, so he's putting her out of his mind? Not sure. In that kind of a world, the prospect of finding someone who is whisked away in a car seems daunting. Yes you could start walking up that road, but what range does a car have with a full tank of gas and what happens at the first cross road? Not helping he got commandeered by that now-dead group. I had mixed feelings about them. I can't say they were automatically bad, but their sense of justice seemed extreme and I suspect it was not applied evenly. :p

Yeah, the odds of finding anyone (if this were "real life") are near impossible. It's just such a stark contrast compared to the storyline of Glenn and Maggie and how they'd do anything to get back to one antoher.

I just imagine them meeting back up at some point and him having to explain why he didn't even attempt to go looking for her.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
If I remember correctly, he did look for her. He was so exhausted and collapsed in the road. That's when Joe and the other guys found him. Right?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If I remember correctly, he did look for her. He was so exhausted and collapsed in the road. That's when Joe and the other guys found him. Right?

Exactly. And I personally interpreted his reaction about Beth as more embarrassment for not being able to keep her safe, not apathy. He didn't want to go into greater detail because he feels it's his fault.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Exactly. And I personally interpreted his reaction about Beth as more embarrassment for not being able to keep her safe, not apathy. He didn't want to go into greater detail because he feels it's his fault.

Yeah, that's what I got out of it as well. And Rick knew Daryl would have done everything possible. It's tough out there!

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dolby Digital?

I have bought The Walking Dead (all seasons) as a season pass from iTunes Store.

I really miss the surround sound, but I am not 100% sure that I have setup my equipment correct. Can someone please verify if there is or isn't Dolby Digital when you buy the show from Apple?

It seems extremely strange if it isn't. :confused:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have bought The Walking Dead (all seasons) as a season pass from iTunes Store.

I really miss the surround sound, but I am not 100% sure that I have setup my equipment correct. Can someone please verify if there is or isn't Dolby Digital when you buy the show from Apple?

It seems extremely strange if it isn't. :confused:

What are you playing it on an Apple TV, Mac or PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.