Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The moderators are watching this thread, why don't you let them decide whether I am trolling or not.

The accusation of trolling gets throwing around way too easily... somebody does not agree with you? Troll...

I used Android and found widgets useless. Take a bookmarks widget for example. Why do I need bookmarks displayed on the homescreen when upon tapping on them the web browser is going to open anyway... I'll just have a web browser icon, tap that and open a bookmark.

Or why do I need a Calendar widget that displays the whole month when to change something, I need to open the Calendar app.

Or my favorite places widget, why do I need that whole list on the homescreen? Just open the Maps app and it's there.

Why do I need a messages widget? The messages are already displayed in the Notification Center.

One way or the other you end up with the full app anyway, widgets seems like a battery draining, oversized shortcut.

I also like how you guys conveniently ignore everything I wrote about iOS being much, much more responsive and smoother with a bounce back effect. It's a small thing, but it makes a big difference in the touch UI.

Widgets are awesome and blow anything iOS has, but that's me specifically, if you don't find them useful of course you are entitled to use your device the way you use it. For me widgets provide me a LOT of variable information at a quick glance. On my desktop I have a calendar widget, an email widget, and a google voice widget for example, they each have several emails/gvoice messages/appointments etc so I can tell at a glance, without opening a single program, who left me messages, when, what they said, etc. I'm not sure how you use your device in business and personal, but for me that's HUGE, especially if I'm careening down the road at 80mph (yeah sue me).

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
So first you make a technical based post, then you make a marketing one.

Which is it?

I'm trying to figure out if you thought this through in good faith, or if you're trying to find something to complain about.

your first assumption was an incorrect assumption

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
your first assumption was an incorrect assumption

You're the one that laid out the technical claim (too resource hungry) without even hinting that it was your take on Apple's marketing.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
I think that widgets really can be extremely useful for some, and for others couldn't mean anything less. I personally fell into the latter group, mainly because of the way I use my phone. I have owned in the last six months: Droid Razr, Galaxy S2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Note, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, and now an iPhone 5.

Personally I tried to use widgets, I really wanted to like them (and all the other things you can customize on android) but at the end of the day I found myself with a plain old iOS - esque homescreen with just apps.

One thing I will say, is being able to open apps from a homescreen using shortcuts is fantastic. Huge plus for android. On the other hand, not having very good options to show messages on the homescreen - BIG minus. Overall though I found myself craving iOS after all that experimentation

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
I don't understand that, what is showing messages on the home screen?

When you get a text on the S3 for example it just shows that a message has arrived. I like to see my messages. The Droid Razr was worse, it didn't even have a notification. Having said that the One X did have a decent option to view messages so this is by no means an android-wide issue.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The moderators are watching this thread, why don't you let them decide whether I am trolling or not.

The accusation of trolling gets throwing around way too easily... somebody does not agree with you? Troll...

Even if they are watching this thread, your comments won't get deleted. So you're safe. I remember perfectly well how it went down the last time we had a conversation.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
When you get a text on the S3 for example it just shows that a message has arrived. I like to see my messages. The Droid Razr was worse, it didn't even have a notification. Having said that the One X did have a decent option to view messages so this is by no means an android-wide issue.

Then you get an alternative app that has options to show an incoming message. chompsms or handcentsms come to mind. Why would you think you're stuck with the default messaging client on Android? :confused::confused::confused:

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012

When I get a text on my S3, it comes in the notification bar at top. I can read the whole text as it comes through. If i miss it, i just pull down the bar and read the whole thing there without opening the app. Not only that, i can quick reply or call back from the pull down bar without opening the apps. Idk if you can do that on your Iphone, but if I can do that this easy, then doing it on the Iphone just takes to long!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I think that widgets really can be extremely useful for some, and for others couldn't mean anything less. I personally fell into the latter group, mainly because of the way I use my phone. I have owned in the last six months: Droid Razr, Galaxy S2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Note, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, and now an iPhone 5.

Personally I tried to use widgets, I really wanted to like them (and all the other things you can customize on android) but at the end of the day I found myself with a plain old iOS - esque homescreen with just apps.

One thing I will say, is being able to open apps from a homescreen using shortcuts is fantastic. Huge plus for android. On the other hand, not having very good options to show messages on the homescreen - BIG minus. Overall though I found myself craving iOS after all that experimentation

My sentiments exactly.

After a while I just found them useless. Maybe you all find them useful, but I do not.

And don't get me wrong, I think you guys are thinking that I don't like Android. I do, I'm glad there is Android and there is a fierce competition between Apple and Google/Samsung, it's only better for consumers.

But it seems that all the advantages Android offers are not really what I want. It has all these grandiose features but in the end they are more like bragging rights than actual useful features you'd use.

There are lots of videos showing how you can connect tons of USB drives, etc... use an Android phone as a computer... but are you really going to do it? It's a pretty ****** replacement for a computer, good luck getting any real work done on it. I mean, the technology is going there, no doubt, in couple of years phones WILL replace laptops, mobile and desktop operating systems will merge. Maybe even next year Google will give Android an official "desktop mode". But now? Nothing but a show off feature.

Or sending files through bluetooth... be honest, when was the last time you sent your friend a file through bluetooth? Nowadays you use email, or cloud sharing service, like Dropbox.

I'd much rather take what the iPhone can do with bluetooth. I get into my car with a Pioneer stereo, turn the ignition, there is an instant connection and I can control my iPhone through the car stereo, don't even need to take it out of the pocket... now that is amazing and actually useful and functional. I cannot do that with Android.

What matters to me are also the "little things"...

Polished UI, with attention to detail, bounce-back, motion blur or whatever it is that makes iOS' use so smooth looking when scrolling.

And small apps, as listed before

Soulver - Android has no equivalent, awesome calculator.
Notes - Android does not have a simple notes app. iOS' app also syncs/backs up to Yahoo.
Music - iOS' music app is just leaps and bounds better than anything Android has to offer.
GPS - Third party GPS apps are much better on iOS.
Photos - The default app is much better, cleaner without any extra nonsense effects. Also displays pictures on the map.
Tunebox - Dropbox music streamer, couldn't find anything like this for Android.
PhotoSync - Nothing like this on Android. Awesome app.
PinDrop - Again, nothing like this on Android.
SongExporter - Again, nothing like this on Android.
Instacast - None of Android's podcast apps come close.
OPlayer - An awesome video player. DivX, XviD, MKV, etc... plays them all. Also, you can play videos from your SAMBA(Windows) share over the network... i.e. Share a folder with movies from you Windows machine, connected with your iPhone and stream movies. Haven't found a player on Android that does that.
SuperList - There is Mighty Grocery List on Android but it's just not as good.
Converter+ - Awesome converter.
Skype - On iOS it is better.

All the above, even small things like third party Calculator, iOS does better and in the end, it's all these small everyday things that matter to me more than being able to connect a mouse and keyboard once in a blue moon.

And also, as noted, centralized audio controls, background audio API.

EDIT: You know what, I don't even need the toggles widgets, it'd be useless to me, I just have everything on and let iOS manage it, which it does beautifully.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Then you get an alternative app that has options to show an incoming message. chompsms or handcentsms come to mind. Why would you think you're stuck with the default messaging client on Android? :confused::confused::confused:

I am well aware that you are not stuck with the stock messages app, but trust me I tried many other apps, and only found them to be more trouble than they were worth. Bottom line for me was that the iOS way of showing messages on the screen and being able to swipe them to reply is simple and really doesn't take much time at all. This is one of my small gripes with android, along with garbage music players.... both are things that apple has just done better.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Ah, I see. Well, you can instal any SMS app that shows a pop up notification then.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Ah, I see. Well, you can instal any SMS app that shows a pop up notification then.

Oh I tried, found many to be terrible, and a couple that were good in that respect but had other more irritating issues. Overall, this is a small complaint on a platform that I very much enjoyed.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
My sentiments exactly.

After a while I just found them useless. Maybe you all find them useful, but I do not.

And don't get me wrong, I think you guys are thinking that I don't like Android. I do, I'm glad there is Android and there is a fierce competition between Apple and Google/Samsung, it's only better for consumers.

But it seems that all the advantages Android offers are not really what I want. It has all these grandiose features but in the end they are more like bragging rights than actual useful features you'd use.

There are lots of videos showing how you can connect tons of USB drives, etc... use an Android phone as a computer... but are you really going to do it? It's a pretty ****** replacement for a computer, good luck getting any real work done on it. I mean, the technology is going there, no doubt, in couple of years phones WILL replace laptops, mobile and desktop operating systems will merge. Maybe even next year Google will give Android an official "desktop mode". But now? Nothing but a show off feature.

Or sending files through bluetooth... be honest, when was the last time you sent your friend a file through bluetooth? Nowadays you use email, or cloud sharing service, like Dropbox.

I'd much rather take what the iPhone can do with bluetooth. I get into my car with a Pioneer stereo, turn the ignition, there is an instant connection and I can control my iPhone through the car stereo, don't even need to take it out of the pocket... now that is amazing and actually useful and functional. I cannot do that with Android.

What matters to me are also the "little things"...

Polished UI, with attention to detail, bounce-back, motion blur or whatever it is that makes iOS' use so smooth looking when scrolling.

And small apps, as listed before

All the above, even small things like third party Calculator, iOS does better and in the end, it's all these small everyday things that matter to me more than being able to connect a mouse and keyboard once in a blue moon.

And also, as noted, centralized audio controls, background audio API.

EDIT: You know what, I don't even need the toggles widgets, it'd be useless to me, I just have everything on and let iOS manage it, which it does beautifully.

People are not bothing to retort your apps post because it;s just plain wrong or full of opinion that it's not worth their time replying too. And you are still ignoring my question about what specific experience of Android you actually have.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Been playing with my Note 2 for about a week.

Not liking it as much as I hope. Too many things that annoys me.

3rd android phone and 5th android device. Best Android device I've own so far. Jelly Bean finally got rid of the annoying lag of Android. Almost as smooth as iOS.

Will probably go back to my iPhone 4S as my main phone.

The only 2 things I'll miss form Android is:

widgets
quick settings

I think that's about it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I've been using Apple Maps for over 2 months now. Apple Maps never gotten me lost.

Been using Google Maps on my Note 2 for about a week. Already gotten me lost tonight. About 4 blocks off the mark.

Directions in Google Maps is wrong.
Yet Google Navigator got it right.

Google Maps and Google Navigator should be one app. Seem silly to be two separate apps.

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Been playing with my Note 2 for about a week.

Not liking it as much as I hope. Too many things that annoys me.

3rd android phone and 5th android device. Best Android device I've own so far. Jelly Bean finally got rid of the annoying lag of Android. Almost as smooth as iOS.

Will probably go back to my iPhone 4S as my main phone.

The only 2 things I'll miss form Android is:

widgets
quick settings

I think that's about it.

Whats things you didn't like?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Oh I tried, found many to be terrible, and a couple that were good in that respect but had other more irritating issues. Overall, this is a small complaint on a platform that I very much enjoyed.

You can try something Popup Notifier. This not only popup SMS but any notifications (i.e. those that appears in notification pulldown). A lot of customization on how the popup appears. It works flawlessly and certainly much better than iOS.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Whats things you didn't like?

I think the problem is multiple apps fighting over who is the default app. Part of the other issue is being accustom to iOS. First week is always the adjustment period.

Just yesterday while driving.

Got in car. Car sync to Note 2 through bluetooth. Bluetooth popup dialog shows up. Had to get rid of it.

Music starts playing. Starts playing classical music on my phone. My car display shows the song info, but it's showing 'superman' as the song name, which is not correct. Using my car controls to change song does change the song, but it still shows "superman" as the song name on my car display.

Want to see what music app is open. Double click on home button for app switcher. Force of habit on iOS. Got s-voice instead.

Hold onto home button. I get app switcher. Problem is no music app is showing. Didn't want to mess with finding the music app, so I just left my car playing classical music.

I think the problem is that double twist somehow started playing classical music when my Note 2 sync to my car. The last song played on Play Music app was "superman". So Play Music was sending the song info to my car. But doubletwist was the app playing the music.

Obviously the simple solution to the music issue is to place the music widget or music app shortcut on the home screen.

I then use Google Now to search for directions to a store. Google Now then opens up Google Maps with directions. I tap only navigate. It opens up another app Google Navigator. Now I somehow got 2 voice directions. One telling me to go straight, the other voice telling me to turn left. Navigator map shows I should go straight. I keep going straight, it keeps telling me to go left while another voice said continue going straight. Not sure where the other voice direction is coming from. Directions were wrong, about 4 blocks off the actual location. Somehow routing to the name of the store
gives wrong direction. Tapping on the store name and getting the address and using the address for directions instead works fine.

It was a frustrating experience being away from my iPhone.

Didn't like the app switcher on my Note 2. Didn't like that multiple apps are fighting for the same functionality. Wished Google Maps and Google Navigator is one app. Wished I can customize my home button.

The Note 2 is pretty huge for one hand use while driving. I'm glad it has a physical home butting I can feel and press when I'm driving. If it was like the touch buttons on the Nexus 4, it would frustrate me a lot.

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I think the problem is multiple apps fighting over who is the default app. Part of the other issue is being accustom to iOS. First week is always the adjustment period.

Just yesterday while driving.

Got in car. Car sync to Note 2 through bluetooth. Bluetooth popup dialog shows up. Had to get rid of it.

Music starts playing. Starts playing classical music on my phone. My car display shows the song info, but it's showing 'superman' as the song name, which is not correct. Using my car controls to change song does change the song, but it still shows "superman" as the song name on my car display.

Want to see what music app is open. Double click on home button for app switcher. Force of habit on iOS. Got s-voice instead.

Hold onto home button. I get app switcher. Problem is no music app is showing. Didn't want to mess with finding the music app, so I just left my car playing classical music.

I think the problem is that double twist somehow started playing classical music when my Note 2 sync to my car. The last song played on Play Music app was "superman". So Play Music was sending the song info to my car. But doubletwist was the app playing the music.

Obviously the simple solution to the music issue is to place the music widget or music app shortcut on the home screen.

I then use Google Now to search for directions to a store. Google Now then opens up Google Maps with directions. I tap only navigate. It opens up another app Google Navigator. Now I somehow got 2 voice directions. One telling me to go straight, the other voice telling me to turn left. Navigator map shows I should go straight. I keep going straight, it keeps telling me to go left while another voice said continue going straight. Not sure where the other voice direction is coming from. Directions were wrong, about 4 blocks off the actual location. Somehow routing to the name of the store
gives wrong direction. Tapping on the store name and getting the address and using the address for directions instead works fine.

It was a frustrating experience being away from my iPhone.

Didn't like the app switcher on my Note 2. Didn't like that multiple apps are fighting for the same functionality. Wished Google Maps and Google Navigator is one app. Wished I can customize my home button.

The Note 2 is pretty huge for one hand use while driving. I'm glad it has a physical home butting I can feel and press when I'm driving. If it was like the touch buttons on the Nexus 4, it would frustrate me a lot.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that you was use to ios! Apps fighting over defaults can be fix by just choosing always when you find the one you like best!

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that you was use to ios! Apps fighting over defaults can be fix by just choosing always when you find the one you like best!

How do I set the default music app that automatically plays when I connect to Bluetooth?

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
How do I set the default music app that automatically plays when I connect to Bluetooth?

I don't really know since I don't listen to music that way. Probably theres a setting in double twist that makes it the default player. You may have to just chose which one you want to use, whether it's Play Music or Double Twist. Or transfer all of your music to Play music and use it. Or maybe you can use a car mode app if there is note one built in the phone to use double twist as a default player. Idk man Im just throwing out options/ideals!

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
You can try something Popup Notifier. This not only popup SMS but any notifications (i.e. those that appears in notification pulldown). A lot of customization on how the popup appears. It works flawlessly and certainly much better than iOS.

Hmm I wish I would have heard of that while I still had my S3 lol, next time. Thanks for the tip!

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London

As a fellow road user, I find that extremely irresponsible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.