Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Here are couple of examples that I prefer on iOS.

Soulver - Android has no equivalent, awesome calculator.
Notes - Android does not have a simple notes app. iOS' app also syncs/backs up to Yahoo.
Music - iOS' music app is just leaps and bounds better than anything Android has to offer.
GPS - Third party GPS apps are much better on iOS.
Photos - The default app is much better, cleaner without any extra nonsense effects. Also displays pictures on the map.
Tunebox - Dropbox music streamer, couldn't find anything like this for Android.
PhotoSync - Nothing like this on Android. Awesome app.
PinDrop - Again, nothing like this on Android.
SongExporter - Again, nothing like this on Android.
Instacast - None of Android's podcast apps come close.
OPlayer - An awesome video player. DivX, XviD, MKV, etc... plays them all. Also, you can play videos from your SAMBA(Windows) share over the network... i.e. Share a folder with movies from you Windows machine, connected with your iPhone and stream movies. Haven't found a player on Android that does that.
SuperList - There is Mighty Grocery List on Android but it's just not as good.
Converter+ - Awesome converter.
Skype - On iOS it is better.

Calculator app? There are 4 I can think of that are the same or better than iOS versions...

Tip Calculator
Scientific Calculator
RealCalc Scientific

Notes?

ColorNote Notepad, better than iOS simple because I can post a widget of my notes on my homescreen. Invaluable feature
Gnotes - Syncs with Gmail...

Music?

Poweramp - nothing on iOS compares.

GPS?

Google Maps Nav - Better than all third party apps because I can manage my maps on my desktop.

Photos?

Jelly Beans stock photo app is on par with iOS. But you could also DL Quick pic which is excellent also.

Dropbox music player?

MusicDropNPlayLite for Dropbox

Photosync?

I agree, there isnt anything like it on Android. MoPhotos give similar functionality tho (Compat with Eyefi and Lightroom)

Video Players? HAHAHAHA

MX player
Moboplayer
VLCPlayer

I could go on and on...you obviously haven't spent much time looking with Android...

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
People are not bothing to retort your apps post because it;s just plain wrong or full of opinion that it's not worth their time replying too. And you are still ignoring my question about what specific experience of Android you actually have.

But you replied and your opinion is the only one I care for here anyway. You're awesome!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
As for the Calculator and Notes comment, on the Note 2 there is an extremely robust notes app with optional S-Pen functionality that's way more advanced than anything free on iOS that I know of, and also on this device there is not only a calculator but I can actually write out complex functions and equations with every symbol you can think of. It will also solve these equations with variables and give me numerous characteristics of any resulting lines, curves, parabolas etc. Amazing!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Calculator app? There are 4 I can think of that are the same or better than iOS versions...

Tip Calculator
Scientific Calculator
RealCalc Scientific

Notes?

ColorNote Notepad, better than iOS simple because I can post a widget of my notes on my homescreen. Invaluable feature
Gnotes - Syncs with Gmail...

Music?

Poweramp - nothing on iOS compares.

GPS?

Google Maps Nav - Better than all third party apps because I can manage my maps on my desktop.

Photos?

Jelly Beans stock photo app is on par with iOS. But you could also DL Quick pic which is excellent also.

Dropbox music player?

MusicDropNPlayLite for Dropbox

Photosync?

I agree, there isnt anything like it on Android. MoPhotos give similar functionality tho (Compat with Eyefi and Lightroom)

Video Players? HAHAHAHA

MX player
Moboplayer
VLCPlayer

I could go on and on...you obviously haven't spent much time looking with Android...

Why do I need all those 3 calculators when I can replace them with one, on iOS, also none of them work the way Soulver does. Did you even have a look at it? Also all those Android calculators have terrible UIs.

Notes, didn't know about that app. Thanks! It's an iOS rip off though.

Not a big fan of PowerAMP, in fact, I prefer TouchWiz music player and iOS music player of them all.

GPS - Google Maps is fantastic, however, good luck using that in a foreign country with no data.

MusicDropNPlayLite - The UI is terrible! How do such apps get approved? Android has low standards for UI.

I've checked out all those players, none of them play videos over SMB network. Which means you can't have files on your Windows machine and play them with these players. OPlayer on iOS plays almost any video over the network, plus has a Dropbox support, etc...

You guys are telling me I don't know about Android, yet you yourself seem to have no clue about iOS. I familiar with Android quite well.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Why do I need all those 3 calculators when I can replace them with one, on iOS, also none of them work the way Soulver does. Did you even have a look at it? Also all those Android calculators have terrible UIs.

Not a big fan of PowerAMP, in fact, I prefer TouchWiz music player and iOS music player of them all.

GPS - Google Maps is fantastic, however, good luck using that in a foreign country with no data.

MusicDropNPlayLite - The UI is terrible! How do such apps get approved? Android has low standards for UI.

I've checked out all those players, none of them play videos over SMB network. Which means you can't have files on your Windows machine and play them with these players. OPlayer on iOS plays almost any video over the network, plus has a Dropbox support, etc...

You guys are telling me I don't know about Android, yet you yourself seem to have no clue about iOS. I familiar with Android quite well.

Oh. You're still here...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
To those who consider widget useless on Android.

Just think about this:-

Android: With widgets, I can see latest posts of tw,fb,g+, next few upcoming agendas/tasks/birthday, stock prices, headline news and weather all at one glance without lifting a finger.

iOS: You need to open apps one-by-one to see all the information. Say you need 60sec just to do the action of opening/closing apps. Repeat this say 8x a day and in a year you would have wasted TWO days of you life doing this. A really smart way to waste life with i-smartphone (pun intended).

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Android: With widgets, I can see latest posts of tw,fb,g+, next few upcoming agendas/tasks/birthday, stock prices, headline news and weather all at one glance without lifting a finger.

iOS: You need to open apps one-by-one to see all the information. Say you need 60sec just to do the action of opening/closing apps. Repeat this say 8x a day and in a year you would have wasted TWO days of you life doing this. A really smart way to waste life with i-smartphone (pun intended).

I'm sure people waste a lot more time that that during their lifetime, so two days is probably not a big deal.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

Diceplayer, BSplayer do exactly what you claim android can't. Hell you can just use a file manager
Iike ESFile explorer to browse to smb, FTP, or cloud servers and use the android intent system to open videos with whatever player you desire.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If widgets existed on iOS instead of Android hooooo-boy, you betcha they'd be used as a talking point against the competition!

polls_YouBetcha_2134_181007_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm sure people waste a lot more time that that during their lifetime, so two days is probably not a big deal.

Also, don't forget the frustration of doing this (opening apps over and over) most probably will take quite a few more days off their lifetime ;)

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Seems that Windows 8 mobile does it better than iOS and Android.

You can check weather, stocks, and reminders without opening an app on iOS. Hell, my iPhone beeps me and tells me I have a task or reminder when I arrive at work right on the lock screen with location based reminders.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
In response to the original poster, I have an iPod Touch as detailed in my signature, and I wish it was my phone. My phone is a junky Samsung Galaxy S (the very first one, the one that looked like the 3gs!).

Honestly, I can understand the appeal of customisation, but if it renders the user experience to be less than satisfactory, with crashes, freezes and other inconsistencies, I'd rather avoid it.

In short, I'm only interested in having features if they don't ruin *my user experience*. Your mileage may vary.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

It's amazing how people almost seem proud of their lack of knowledge. I can tell Google Maps to cache whatever areas I will need when I got away and it works fine.

Have you actually used Android for more than a few minutes or do you just not understand how to use it? Either option is not the best reflection on you.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

I always enjoy reading this garbage. The iOS fans will claim that Apple i vented everything, and anything that looks like it is a ripoff. I won't be surprised if you think it was Apple that invented the notification center for mobile devices. And Greg Hughes wasnt happy with Apple denying his app for the App Store, and then going into Cydia and stealing the code AND icon for ios5!

Greg Hughes Wifi app icon on left and the one Apple 'invented'.
cydia-dev-apple-stole-both-my-idea-and-my-icon-for-wifi-sync_1.jpg

Apple is a company that steals and cheats. Most successful companies do. Don't pretend that Apple is the almighty inventor and everyone copies them.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You can install maps to the phone to be used offline now.

----------

I always enjoy reading this garbage. The iOS fans will claim that Apple i vented everything, and anything that looks like it is a ripoff. I won't be surprised if you think it was Apple that invented the notification center for mobile devices. And Greg Hughes wasnt happy with Apple denying his app for the App Store, and then going into Cydia and stealing the code AND icon for ios5!

Greg Hughes Wifi app icon on left and the one Apple 'invented'.

Apple is a company that steals and cheats. Most successful companies do. Don't pretend that Apple is the almighty inventor and everyone copies them.

People just won't let that story go :p It's been what, six months, a year? Since it was first reported, yet people still use that in these petty squabbles. :rolleyes:

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
You can install maps to the phone to be used offline now.

----------

People just won't let that story go :p It's been what, six months, a year? Since it was first reported, yet people still use that in these petty squabbles. :rolleyes:

Typical. Apple fan accuses Samsung of "RIPPING APPLE OFF OMG THEY SUCK. THEY MUST PAY" Pointed out that notification center was ripped off of Android they say "what? that again? why do you keep bringing that up?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.