Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I am surprised that Compressor is not a 64bit, Cocoa application with Grand Central Dispatch support. Seems to be that this application would require it very much.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/specs/

I also wondered about this, they at least should have made it 32+64 so people with CoreDuo's could run it while people with new machines could use it 64.

Since there are many render farms with CoreDuos, keeping the possibility of running 32Bit on a rendering app makes sense. But really, why no 64bit port?

davea11ee

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Houston, TX
Just installed Final Cut Pro X. FCP7 (and previous apps) is still on the computer but has been moved to a Final Cut Studio Folder within the APplications Folder

So glad to hear they don't write over the old stuff. With everything that was said about not installing the .0 version, I'm glad I can always go back to what I know if this version isn't ready

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I can see you do not buy that much from the App store!

And I can see that you haven't bought a single thing from the App Store. Because the poster is right. You can pay once and install that FCP X on unlimited amount of machines as long as they belong to you.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Lovely.

Now can we get on to Aperture X? That would be nice

Aperture is already a 64Bit cocoa application. I don't think a major rewrite is necessary for it, since unlike FCP Aperture wasn't using decade old code to begin with. That being said, I'm looking forward to Aperture 4.

hughjaas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
San Diego
I am surprised that Compressor is not a 64bit, Cocoa application with Grand Central Dispatch support. Seems to be that this application would require it very much.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/specs/

grand central is basically for optimizing use of all your cores within an application. compressor/qmaster already did that as well as distributed processing in the previous versions - no need for it to be 64-bit. I haven't figured out the benefit to upgrading compressor yet.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Just installed Final Cut Pro X. FCP7 (and previous apps) is still on the computer but has been moved to a Final Cut Studio Folder within the APplications Folder
Well that's some good news.

I can't believe that Final Cut Pro X can't open and convert Final Cut Pro 7 projects, especially after they showed the same project in both applications at NAB to demonstrate the new timeline. The real kick in the teeth is that it apparently imports iMovie projects. Some other major issues I've read are:

1. No EDL and OMF support; the majority of our edits are offline and we use EDL and OMF to share our edits with the color houses, post houses and sound houses. Anyone have any suggestions as to how else this could be done with Final Cut Pro X since it can't output either EDL or OMF?

2. No deck control, making what little tape support it has almost useless. This is unbelievable.

3. Presumably, no video output for KONA cards; can someone confirm this?

Basically because of these three issues, there isn't a single project myself and my fellow editors could use Final Cut Pro X for at this time, unless there's an alternative to EDL and OMF that's just as good. Anyone? Thanks.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Looks like Blu-Ray is coming guys!!

"output for standard definition DVDs, and even Blu-ray devices, directly within FCP X"

Sorry, buddy but it's probably not. Final Cut Studio 3 (released in June 2009) has had that option too.

Back then & even now, you can buy an external Blu-Ray writer for your Mac.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
While it's always entertaining to read comments on a release I'm going to wait for actual working pros to sound off once they've had a week or two to play with it. ;)

One thing I want to know is if it still has tape capture. All the rumors said it was only digital in.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
While it's always entertaining to read comments on a release I'm going to wait for actual working pros to sound off once they've had a week or two to play with it. ;)

One thing I want to know is if it still has tape capture. All the rumors said it was only digital in.

Taken from Larry Jordan's blog:

APPLE IS MOVING TO TAPELESS

If tapeless media is your life, it will take you a week to stop giggling once you fire up FCP X.

However, FCP X has only limited support for tape. Tape ingest is from FireWire-attached devices, and streaming-only, no timecode controlled positioning of ingest or output to tape.

I’m reminded of the hand-wringing that occurred when Apple dropped floppy disks for optical media “back in the day,” now that Apple has decreed that tape is dead.

In this case, though, I side with the “tapists.” Apple controls the eco-system of the Mac. They don’t control the eco-system of Hollywood; then, again, I’m not sure anyone does. I have clients today that are using 3/4″ Umatic cassettes for sound design and music composition, and EDL lists are used daily for conforming major feature films. Both those formats were declared dead AGES ago!

While FCP X can ingest from a Firewire-attached deck, its output options to tape are limited to live streaming.

This lack of support for layback to video tape using RS-422 control protocol with timecode accuracy gives the perception that Apple is not meeting the needs of professional output. It remains to be seen if companies like AJA, Matrox, or Blackmagic Design will step into the breech. If they do, great. If not, this will cause many of us problems.

However, if you are shooting tapeless, this new software is designed for you. Easy ingest, background transcoding, background rendering, background analysis… Very cool. And, best of all, you can stop or cancel a background process at any time.

Plus, if you are someone that likes to organize their files, FCP X supports that. If you HATE organization, FCP X will organize your files for you. Now, we have a choice.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I've read it does not, unless you want to capture a live stream from the tape. No deck control, no in and out points, no logging and batch capturing. But on the bright side, you can capture video from your @$*#ing iSight camera! :rolleyes:

hughjaas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
San Diego

HDV tape capture is not a problem. I can't find very many settings for it though - like setting in and out points. it's more like Capture Now in the previous version. no logging or batch capture that I can see.

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm not liking what I'm seeing...

95% of my clients want hard discs with custom, polished menus for their final delivery. Apple's abandonment of DVDSP is going to force my hand to Adobe Encore (which comes bundled with Premiere.) How long before I give up FCS all together?

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is the first time that I've been so negative towards them. :(

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Taken from Larry Jordan's blog:

APPLE IS MOVING TO TAPELESS

If tapeless media is your life, it will take you a week to stop giggling once you fire up FCP X.

However, FCP X has only limited support for tape. Tape ingest is from FireWire-attached devices, and streaming-only, no timecode controlled positioning of ingest or output to tape.

I've read it does not, unless you want to capture a live stream from the tape. No deck control, no in and out points, no logging and batch capturing. But on the bright side, you can capture video from your @$*#ing iSight camera! :rolleyes:

Well that is disheartening but at least I can still input my tape footage from my Canon HV30! I also have Premiere cs5 (part of the master suite) but I always liked FCP better. Maybe I can use Premiere to import and then edit in FCX. Seems convoluted though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.