Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
and back to my original point :p for 2 machines AT WORK! the LEGAL update price would be 317 euros x 2 = 634 Euros

Unless Apple lets users create a new iTunes account and lets you legally install on 300 Macs, I take all my words back and have some major LOVE for :apple:

:p

This is the same situation with Lion on Enterprise. I'd call Apple and ask or wait for a press release.

FinalCutJay

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
Anyone else waiting for Lion before they plunk down cash for this? I've got a lot of reservations. If you've downloaded the new FCP can you confirm the ability to open an older project file and is the timeline intact?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
and back to my original point :p for 2 machines AT WORK! the LEGAL update price would be 317 euros x 2 = 634 Euros

Unless Apple lets users create a new iTunes account and lets you legally install on 300 Macs, I take all my words back and have some major LOVE for :apple:

Well is it 2 or is it 300? If it's 300 then I don't know what Apple's policy for that is.

If it's 2 then it's perfectly legal for your work to have a single iTunes account and just pay 317 for using it on 2 machines.

Anyone else waiting for Lion before they plunk down cash for this? I've got a lot of reservations. If you've downloaded the new FCP can you confirm the ability to open an older project file and is the timeline intact?

You can't, but the old Final Cut stays on your Machine. Everyone who 'upgrades' is really going to go though a long process of using both Final Cuts for awhile until evetually you have no need for the old one.

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010

Why would each computer have a separate Apple ID if there both your computers? Unless, this whole time you've been arguing that for two separate users, with two separate computers, with two separate Apple IDs, the price would be higher.. in which the intent of your original argument is lost on me.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

No, you cannot import old FCP projects. Again, check Larry's blog for more extensive info.

machaven

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
The Great Southern Land
AUS$ Prices

I note on the App Store the price is A$349.99 for Australians which is still a good price for this application even if people in the US on pay US$299.00. However, considering the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar, it is a bit rude to slug us with an extra $50 surcharge because we are outside the US!

I'll still buy it though. :rolleyes:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

But u can still use dvdsp. I'm disappointed for no blu ray menu so it's to toast 12 or encore for that I suppose. I'm in the same boat - clients still want discs

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
To be honest I'm disappointed that Compressor still uses the old QMaster stuff. I hoped Apple would come up with a more intuitive way of distributing batch rendering. QMaster was always clunky to use.

I hope they improved the usability in this version so I'll hold it off until I see some reviews on it.

lcdbot27

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
This is the same situation with Lion on Enterprise. I'd call Apple and ask or wait for a press release.

I really wish there was some clarification on this. My company would need 5 FCPX licenses, not tied to an individual user's account. There's really no way to do this under the workings of the Mac App Store. I love the concept of using online app stores for software distribution on an individual basis, but unless there's a way for corporations to easily buy and handle software licenses from the store, I feel like there's going to be a lot of corporate "hand-sitting" for MAS-only releases like this.

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
Surprised....

I'm surprised so many people are rushing to get this this morning. There are always first version bugs and who knows how this will affect your work output. Are these the same people that will be back here tomorrow complaining that it's not perfect?

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
You can't, but the old Final Cut stays on your Machine. Everyone who 'upgrades' is really going to go though a long process of using both Final Cuts for awhile until evetually you have no need for the old one.

Sounds a lot like Xcode 3 -> Xcode 4.

I took the plunge at once, because the reluctance to be less-than-100% productive for a couple of days was dwarfed by the fear of Apple pulling the carpet under my feet and saying: Sorry, no more app submissions from Xcode 3! :eek: I'll early-adopt Lion too, I guess.

I don't regret it a bit, save for the yet-to-be-ironed bugs.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
i have been playing with it all afternoon! its fantastic.

It is in no way iMovie.

it just gets out of my way and does what i need it to do. the audition function is really helpful. live effect previewing is amazing. just lots of useful stuff in there
Having a fast machine really helps. looking at activity monitor final cut has not dipped under using 1000% processor power and using 2.5GB of RAM.

very pleased if a little shocked at apple dropping 6 apps to 3.

(also note when you buy the apps they will automatically move the old final cut studio into its own folder)

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Just clicking on a text sequence preview like drip in or Approach in and watch it struggle to play.

10GB RAM, Quad 2.8 Mac Pro and Motion 5 is slow?

The interface blows too. Wow this is not good so far.
Update your graphics card? Does it support openCL?

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
I'm surprised so many people are rushing to get this this morning. There are always first version bugs and who knows how this will affect your work output. Are these the same people that will be back here tomorrow complaining that it's not perfect?

They say it can be installed side-by-side, so there's nothing to lose. And you can start to get used to it.

ADDED: Is there any AppStore app that overwrites previous, boxed versions? Or are they considered "A different app"? (Certainly the Store doesn't support upgrades between the two, right?)

dbattle

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Metro Washington DC

I would agree but considering you can still use FCP 6 or 7 on the same machine there's no real loss in purchasing it now. Personally our (small) company is purchasing it for one system to test it out while continuing our paid work FCP6. If I can help get the bugs out quicker than I'm all for it especially if in the end I I'm further along in understanding the new features of FCPX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.