Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
I thought they were committed to Thunderbolt and ignoring USB 3.0

I wish people would actually think before they post sometimes.

YES this connector has USB3, it also has USB2, Thunderbolt and a pretty white cable too.

What people fail to realise is that if you own a current gen/future Mac you can use the thunderbolt part of the connection, if you own an older version then it will use the USB2 part. OR if you are using a USB3 compatible PC then you can use their USB3 connection.

Its actually a quite clever design and means that the iProducts 30pin connector can be relevant for many more years to come.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
This is great, now :apple: seem to be back on track to continuously release improved hardware technology.
It was sad when they took away the Firewire out of the iPod.

Something like the European requirement, in the US the cable TV providers have to provide firewire equipped cable boxes, so the users can get Firewire video out them. Normally you have to ask for it, and they have to give it to you.

Thunderbolt will kick ass.

calcvita

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Greece
Its actually a quite clever design and means that the iProducts 30pin connector can be relevant for many more years to come.

can you please explain to me (or provide a link where it's explained) the benefits of using a 30 pin connector in comparison to a usb port? is it maybe so that apple can sell more adaptors? (i'm not sarcastic on this one, i'd really like to know)

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
can you please explain to me (or provide a link where it's explained) the benefits of using a 30 pin connector in comparison to a usb port? is it maybe so that apple can sell more adaptors? (i'm not sarcastic on this one, i'd really like to know)

It's so you can have analog and digital audio and video, remote control commands, and various types of protocols coming out of one port. All the user needs to do is buy the one they need.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c014e8742c0f9970d-pi

look at all the things one port can do.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I wonder who the first manufacturer was to create a dock connector? I assume IBM? They should sue Apple and give them a piece of their own medicine. You know if the shoe was on the other foot. . .

Dock connectors for some equipment date back to WWII for sure, maybe earlier.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Wireless syncing

Wireless syncing is a lot easier and a lot less hassle. Charging the battery with an electrical outlet is the only time you need to plug your iPhone in anything, IMHO. I find syncing my iPhone to my computer to be a chore and I rarely do so because of this.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006

There is an advantage to the user and to Apple.

The advantage to Apple is that they OWN the connector and will or won't grant other companies the right to include that connector into their products. So you'll never see a Microsoft or Android phone sporting Apple's connector.

The user can drop their iDevice into a bedside radio/clock or into a slot in their car dash and have their iDevice automatically integrated into that appliance or vehicle.

This means when you set an alarm on your iDevice, your bedside radio knows it and wakes you with music or alert through the larger radio speakers. Your iPhone GPS can become part of your car's navigation system, while your iPhone can become also become a hand's free phone using your car's sound system. Plus, you still have all your alarms, Address Book, and calendar available to you via voice command.

Life is good for you, and in Appleland prosperity reigns. :)

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Frankly Apple should just commit to Thunderbolt and put those ports right on there. There is really no need for any other port.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I hope Thunderbolt becomes integrated in the iPhone and iPad and stuff, simply because it's the way of the future. One port for everything. :D

Bonfire

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Virginia
I was praying that the headline was "Apple to Introduce new dock connector."

The current dock connector SUCKS. It's way too hard to plug into, especially on the iPad 2, with it's tapered edge. It feels flimsy and I dread plugging anything into it for fear of breakage/bending of the pins.

I was really hoping that Apple would redesign it using MagSafe as their inspiration.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I knew there was a reason to sit the 2011 mbp refresh out.

Why? Soon enough there will be thunderbolt to USB 3 adapters seeing as how thunderbolt has twice the bandwidth of USB 3.0. 2011 MBP owners won't be missing out on anything should they need USB 3.0 down the road.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Am I the only one that's happy about adapters?

I feel they give the maximum flexibility for the minimum port interference; I'd rather have 4 of these good-for-any-use ports on my computer than a set number of fixed use ports, some of which never get used.

I guess it's just me?

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Frankly Apple should just commit to Thunderbolt and put those ports right on there. There is really no need for any other port.
The main reason Apple sticks with the 30pin Dock Connector is size. Thin wise. Displayport is much too thick. One of the reasons they bailed on firewire on the First Gen iPod was the size. Micro USB is probably the thinnest connector out there I would imagine, but does that allow data syncing and at speeds faster than USB 2.0 ??? I don't know. The dock connector must allow for more flexibility on Apple's part I would imagine.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
So does this mean we would need an adapter for the 30pin connector to HDMI out?

Apple Digital AV Adapter - $39
A second 30-pin connector built into the AV adapter lets you charge and sync your device while it’s connected to your HDMI-compatible display.

MC953

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I was praying that the headline was "Apple to Introduce new dock connector."

The current dock connector SUCKS. It's way too hard to plug into, especially on the iPad 2, with it's tapered edge. It feels flimsy and I dread plugging anything into it for fear of breakage/bending of the pins.

I was really hoping that Apple would redesign it using MagSafe as their inspiration.

Agreed flimsy AND the cable connection always breaks at the plug parts where the cable meets the plastic.

I wish they had options to connect the cable on the sides as well as bottom.

also teh screened on "front" printing disappears after a while.

So, I scratch a box around the sign. That way I can "feel" the right side in the dark.

Apple should mold that into the plug..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.