Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Headset jack was removed, so had to buy a USB headset for example.

WTF is your friend smoking, they are still there. Unless of course I been smoking something even more intense. A quick look at the spec site on Apple website and looking at my 2011 17" MBP suggest you two needa sober up.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
The current dock connector already supports displayport on the iPhone 4, iPad 1/2 and iPod Touch 4th generation. It's how the VGA and HDMI adaptors work.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I believe he's referring to headsets that don't have the audio in and out jack combined into one. The line-in port on Macs does not have any power to support a microphone. This is why the Griffin iMic exists.

Since the Mic port turned into Line-In, there hasn't been any power on the port, requiring a powered input or amp. However, on the Headset jacks that support the iPhone mic on them, do have a built-in mic, even on the MacBook, but only when using the 3rd sleeve that the iPhone mic cable has.

TEG

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I wonder who the first manufacturer was to create a dock connector? I assume IBM? They should sue Apple and give them a piece of their own medicine. You know if the shoe was on the other foot. . .

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Since the Mic port turned into Line-In, there hasn't been any power on the port, requiring a powered input or amp. However, on the Headset jacks that support the iPhone mic on them, do have a built-in mic, even on the MacBook, but only when using the 3rd sleeve that the iPhone mic cable has.

TEG

Hence why I said he was referring to headsets that DON'T support said jack which there are more of than there are that do support the jack.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I wonder who the first manufacturer was to create a dock connector? I assume IBM? They should sue Apple and give them a piece of their own medicine. You know if the shoe was on the other foot. . .

The patent is for Apple's specific 30 pin dock connector, and not any dock connector. It's legal protection to allow Apple to go after anyone making unauthorized accessories, not anyone making dock like connectors in general. Instead of suing over "Hey, you didn't use our Made for iPod program", they can sue over "Hey, you violated our patent."

so in a way apple has been forced to at least usb3 popularity

i can live with the fact that there are no native support for usb3 on the 2011 MBP - i just hope that there will be TP - usb3 and half decent expresscards34.. and apple do their part by providing the softaware support in the os

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Same thing I was thinking. The ramifications of this.

However, one question that intrigues me is Europe's mini-USB adoption with cell devices. How will this factor in?

The standard says it's OK to implement via an adapter. Apple just needs to put a 30 pin to mini-USB in the box and that's it.

The line-in port on Macs does not have any power to support a microphone. This is why the Griffin iMic exists.

Yes it does. It supplies a small amount of power to polarise the electret mic in the headset. It;s not really enough for a 'proper' microphone, and the port is high pass filtered at 200Hz, so it's better to use the USB/30 pin for quality audio instead.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
they should put this in the next iPhone.

Hey Apple- seriously- are you listening- you need to do this- every time I jailbreak after a new version comes out it is a PITA to reload all my music! Hurry up and help me out Apple!

macman312

macrumors 6502
Apple should've held out on the refresh to include USB 3 and even HDMI. Thunderbolt and the is currently useless.

agreed the apple store person was like you can transfer a 5GB movie in 10 seconds but I was like transfer to what? But there is a new LaCie hard drive coming in the summer :D but it would be great to have that sort of connectivity in the new iphone. It is also annoying that there is no 3.0?.....

calcvita

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Greece
However, one question that intrigues me is Europe's mini-USB adoption with cell devices. How will this factor in?

that's exactly what i was wondering about! i don't know if EU regulations apply to the ipad, but they certainly do apply to the iphone. and i think, apple has to include a miniUSB port (standardized charger) to the iphone 5 if they want to sell it here in europe. a simply dock connector just won't do.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
My first thought

We're finally gonna get laptop docking stations again after all these years.

There is no reason why the dock connector couldn't be used for that.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Which line in port? Are you talking about the (now removed) line-in on the 30 pin connector (not on iPhone 4) or are you talking about the second ring on the TRRS headphone/mic connector?

The line-in port on the iMac, Mac Pro, 15" & 17" MBP's and the Mac Mini.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
that's exactly what i was wondering about! i don't know if EU regulations apply to the ipad, but they certainly do apply to the iphone. and i think, apple has to include a miniUSB port (standardized charger) to the iphone 5 if they want to sell it here in europe. a simply dock connector just won't do.

Jeez - last time we had page after page of arguments about this silly NON ISSUE.

Article

[MoU] 4.2.1...if a manufacturer makes available an Adaptor from the Micro-USB connector of a Common EPS to a specific non-Micro-USB socket in the Mobile Phone, it shall constitute compliance to this article" and, "...An Adaptor can also be a detachable cable."

So Apple is probably already compatible with its USBA to 30 pin adaptor cable, and if not then a supplied Micro USB to 30 pin would be fine.

The line-in port on the iMac, Mac Pro, 15" & 17" MBP's and the Mac Mini.

Fair enough. How did you get onto the subject of the Mac line in in a thread about the iDevice 30 pin connector?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Fair enough. How did you get onto the subject of the Mac line in in a thread about the iDevice 30 pin connector?

Read the thread. This particular conversation spawned from someone saying they needed to buy adaptors for their Mac.

calcvita

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Greece
Jeez - last time we had page after page of arguments about this silly NON ISSUE.

Article

So Apple is probably already compatible with its USBA to 30 pin adaptor cable, and if not then a supplied Micro USB to 30 pin would be fine.

ah, ok! thanks for pointing that out! allthough i'd preffer a micro usb port ;)

macman312

macrumors 6502
miniUSB what for?

Why the hell do you have to have a miniUSB for a phone in the EU?
what is wrong with just using a apple dock connector?? Apple is NEVER going to put a miniUSB port but they may make an adaptor for the idiots who want one (for what I ask)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Yay! More cash from adapters for apple!

I support this if it's the next ipod sync cable but I'm with you if they have YET ANOTHER useless cable design that serves no point in the first place.

HDMI isn't even that big! There's even a micro version on pocket cameras for crying out loud.

What's wrong with blending Thunderbolt into the design of the USB 3.0? Less confusing for people and keeps the tech rolling. Everyone isn't gonna know what the difference is anyway. They only care that their thumb drive works with the new version and that it's faster.

calcvita

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Greece
Why the hell do you have to have a miniUSB for a phone in the EU?
what is wrong with just using a apple dock connector?? Apple is NEVER going to put a miniUSB port but they may make an adaptor for the idiots who want one (for what I ask)

don't ask me! ask the EU about it. i don't make the regulations. but i can tell you this, they want a standard port for charging purposes and data transfer, so that you have to deal with fewer cables. it's not a bad idea, if you think about it.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
don't ask me! ask the EU about it. i don't make the regulations. but i can tell you this, they want a standard port for charging purposes and data transfer, so that you have to deal with fewer cables. it's not a bad idea, if you think about it.
It's a bad idea for Apple when they can't charge you $99 for a 50 cent piece of plastic and copper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.