Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Why can't they just make a JACK connector, with 4 wires ... Wake me up when it will be possible to supply data at high speed and enough power through 4 cables with a jack connector.

wake me up when you become a consumer electronics electrical engineer and explain why they cant to us.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Am I missing something here? The whole point of a dock adaptor is so that you can have a dock for your laptop ready and waiting for you on your desk where you can have all of your TBolt, USB 3, USB 2 and displays all sitting ready and waiting. The presence of a dock adaptor doesn't necessarily mean that the laptop itself won't have it's own USB2/3, TBolt ports or whatever. No docking computer has ever got rid of all of the on-laptop ports in the past and Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did. It would be a total non-starter.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Used to hate the 30pin dock connector till I realized how much it combines.

I love the inclusion of USB3.0.

I just hope the old dock ports/cables will be backwards compatible, I've got so many dock cables.

Also hope Apple will also release something like this to comply with the EU standards...

sendstation-pocketdock-line-out-mini-usb-for-iphone-or-ipod.jpg

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
Why can't they just make a JACK connector, with 4 wires, like for the iPod Shuffle? That would allow everything to go through ONE port, it would be easy to manufacture, compatible, and there would be no wrong way of connecting it. Not to mention it's tiny.

You could then replace all the USB, Thunderbolt, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and all that random stuff with ONE connector that would be easy to connect, cheap to buy and it would be very small and secure.

Wake me up when it will be possible to supply data at high speed and enough power through 4 cables with a jack connector.

Because Apple wants you to buy as many 29 dollar adapters as possible.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This dock means that the future iPhones will sync throught thunderbolt with macs and with usb 3.0 for pcs!!! I guess thins means macs wont come with usb 3.0, so maybe an adapter would come out sometime...

I repeat: sync to macs with thunderbolt and sync to pcs with usb 3.0!!

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
This dock means that the future iPhones will sync throught thunderbolt with macs and with usb 3.0 for pcs!!! I guess thins means macs wont come with usb 3.0, so maybe an adapter would come out sometime...

I hope they do this in the next iPhone- the thunderbolt speed.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Yeah a whopping 3V which means it will take 40% longer to recharge anything using the new connector unless they increase the amperage to compensate.

I assumed that Acc 3v meant power to the Accessory plugged in to the port. The iDevice itself would still charge from power on the data connection.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France

That sounds messy to me: packing two sets of IO technology into something the size of an iphone doesn't sound like an attractive design option.

I think iPhones/iPods will stick to USB2 for some time to come yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.