Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Apple... What a disappointment. Shows a lack of confidence in their ability to hold off a cyber attack. Strong showing from MS and Google as they lead tech companies in protecting our freedom of speech.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Unless I am at the theater anything over two dollars is too much for a rental. 5.99 falls in the used blu-ray purchase price.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure why Apple waited. They should have jumped on the opportunity. They could have signed up a lot of new users to iTunes if they got an exclusive. Once again, Eddie Cue fails.

"Once again Eddie Cue fails?" I'm curious what you've done in a lifetime professionally that could compare with what he handles in a month.

----------

Apple... What a disappointment. Shows a lack of confidence in their ability to hold off a cyber attack. Strong showing from MS and Google as they lead tech companies in protecting our freedom of speech.

Was that the same MS whose Xbox Live system was downed for prime holiday time?

----------

Not a day goes by that I'm not 100% thankful that people from MacRumors don't actually own stake in or run a major company.

The same could be said for the rent and shuttle bus protesters. We'd all live in huts if some of these guys ran the show.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Last I checked it took Sony 3 days to do what MS was able to do in a few hours.

Protection from Denial of service attacks are guaged on how quickly you can recover from them. MS did a pretty good job during the busiest time of the year.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
So many digital media strategists, marketing and distribution experts here. :rolleyes:

And... Kim Jong Un likes margaritas and Katie Perry!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Think they were just waiting to see if North Korea retaliated with more hacks. It would be funny if they did after they put it up on their store now, haha.

Didn't you get the memo, NK didn't do it! LOL!

Also, we don't give in to terrorists!! Take off you shoes please. And give me you toothpaste! LOL! Lull!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Annnnnd welcome back to TheInterviewNews.com!

Why exactly do we need ANOTHER article about this movie? I think that it's time to move on...

That said, the prices are higher than usual. What gives?

You're funny. And so was the movie, I watched it twice. For free!

----------

Where do you live that films are $7-$8 per person? Even in Eastern WA they are now $11/adult.

What are you doing in Eastern WA?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Unless I am at the theater anything over two dollars is too much for a rental. 5.99 falls in the used blu-ray purchase price.

It hasn't been out long enough to get on Bluray at all much less be available used in quantity. Perfectly normal to charge higher prices for early viewers. Wanna see it now? $6. Wanna pay $2? wait 6 months or more. I'll wait until it's on Netflix for nigh unto free.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
It hasn't been out long enough to get on Bluray at all much less be available used in quantity. Perfectly normal to charge higher prices for early viewers. Wanna see it now? $6. Wanna pay $2? wait 6 months or more. I'll wait until it's on Netflix for nigh unto free.

Oh, I know. This film is not even on my radar, maybe on Netflix.

That was a general comment about insane rental prices. It is getting harder to rent new films without them costing too much and redbox is often too far away.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. But I guess it's good that it's widely available.

Hyperbole anyone. This was a good picture. Maybe it wasn't what you were expecting. Watch it again sometime. You'll be surprised how views can change once you get expectations out of the way.

----------

And... Kim Jong Un likes margaritas and Katie Perry!
Hey I like them both too!

----------

Would you have still seen the movie if it wasn't for all the drama?

Lots more people will see this good comedy now that it got all this drama attached to it. From now on it will be word of mouth.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think it was more about Apple wanting to do it on their terms, not Sony's. Makes sense to me.

The haters will say otherwise, but this is entirely consistent with the original story. Apple never said it would not carry the Interview. The story was that they were not comfortable with the accelerated timeline. My guess is that today was the day that it was originally scheduled to be released to streaming before all the controversy.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Likely not... but I'm buying it to make a political statement if nothing else. I may not watch it anytime soon, but I hope that the groundswell of support from people who hated that Sony caved is a very visible lesson for anyone else who gets in this situation. Don't cave.

I think it's more "caving" to buy a movie for political reasons instead of "because you want to see/own it".

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
It's $5.99 everywhere. Sony decided on the price, not Apple.

Yes. And furthermore... this is new ground. Mainstream movie being released on-demand at initial release.... i can see that being worth a premium. But this must scare the crap out of movie theaters.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA

There's no evidence whatsoever that's what Apple was thinking. You're basing your assertions purely on personal conjecture.

----------

It was about Apple not wanting to be a hacking target.

No evidence that was the case.

----------

Too late...

What abou the numerous other streaming services? What about Sony's very own streaming service? They're a bit late, wouldn't you say? Why don't they have the film yet?

----------

Apple willfully decided not to because of fear of the "terrorists".
No evidence whatsoever this was the case.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
My local Theatre is $7.50 before 6pm, $9.50 after (additional $3 for 3D).

And all seats are Luxury seating that you can reserve in advance (all seats are numbered and assigned), they also have a bar with beer on tab or get a glass of wine, order speciality food and they bring it to your seat.
seat-picture1.jpeg

Your movie theater is a lot better than my movie theater.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
My local Theatre is $7.50 before 6pm, $9.50 after (additional $3 for 3D).

And all seats are Luxury seating that you can reserve in advance (all seats are numbered and assigned), they also have a bar with beer on tab or get a glass of wine, order speciality food and they bring it to your seat.
seat-picture1.jpeg

Beer on tab?

I hope the aspect ratio of the movie screen is better than the aspect ratio on that awful picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.