Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
My initial reaction to "1024x768 resolution" was actually a bit negative, but that's because we associate that orientation with "non-widescreen" XGA monitors. We assume that *x768, in the HD world, means that it has to have a 1280 or 1360 in front of it (1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1360x768, and 1366x768 all being variations of WXGA).

But, I don't think Apple's mindset here was "we're going to give them the non-HD version of x768 displays". This isn't them attempting to give us an SD XGA screen.

The standard resolution for devices this size is: 1024x600 (WSVGA). That's the widescreen/HD version of 800x600 (SVGA).

I think Apple's mindset is "we're giving them the same 1024x600 everyone else gives them, plus 25% more pixels". Certainly, the iPad will display everything that a 1024x600 tablet/netbook will display. Plus a little more. In portrait mode, you can display wider images/web-pages/etc. In landscape mode, you can have a WSVGA based app, image, or webpage open, and still have room at the bottom for a control panel. It's just as good as having a 1024x600 display, like every other mid-size tablet or netbook ... plus a little more.

It's still disappointing that they didn't go with a WXVGA and/or 720p format, but I don't think this is a case of "we're giving you an SD screen", I think it's a case of "we're giving you the standard HD/widescreen everyone else is giving you, plus more".

Unfortunately, that's probably doomed to be a PR nightmare. Everyone will associate this with SD XGA displays, and say the resolution is so "10 years ago". To some extent they're right ... I just suspect that Apple was trying to do something better than the competition, not lagging behind them.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Most people are very short sited and don't see the much bigger picture here.

What people aren't realizing that even IF you consider it's a "big ipod touch" is that you can do SO much more with that screen real estate.

Books, Magazines and Newspapers will be a lot more pleasurable to read. Even certain games will be A LOT more fun. Think about what this will do for many businesses. Example: Dr.'s are looking for a better way to keep track of patients without a ton of paper, and without lugging around a laptop.

I mentioned this before...Watch a movie on a 15" tv..and then a 40"...what's the better experience?

What people aren't realizing is Apple wasnt out to create some crazy device, but they were out to create a platform that allows for A LOT more then a cell phone with a 3.5" screen can.

Sure it lacks Multitasking (which i believe will come with updates) and sure it lacks a Camera, but you ALSO have to think about costs. If they put EVERYTHING in and it was $999...everyone would complain too.

There are trade-offs. This device will change not just consumers, but I really believe its going to change a lot of industries in terms of offering them a way to create an application specifically for their companies for small tasks that don't require a laptop. It fits perfectly in the middle.

marklachance

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
It is what it is

"It does what it was designed to do...99% of what MOST normal people do in a computer: surf the web, look at photos/video, check email."

The above is me pretty much. I hope (and think) everyone here understands that they are the 1% (more likely the .000001%) of computers users in the world.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Flash will never be eliminated.

But the future new cool web sites will notice that they will get 100's of millions more mobile users visiting if they don't use flash, and eventually most people will move on to these new cool site. Only aging stone-age throw-backs will continue to use crufty old legacy Flash-only sites (same as happened to usenet).

Absolutely right. Even Google/Youtube is trying to move away from flash to HTML5 for security and stability reasons.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Well, the point is that the iPad plus keyboard combination is modular.

You mean like any desktop computer, or laptop for that matter? A system with a screen and keyboard?

When you don't need to do a lot of fast touch typing, you leave the keyboard at home (or in the other room).

...connected to your iMac, eMac, PowerMac, or Mac Pro? Or attached to its own screen with a hinge?

Otherwise, you toss both parts in your bag and off you go.

I already do toss both in my bag. It's called the iBook. Humorously enough, the original iBook namesake. The one that did it right. Hopefully the iPad doesn't take as long to wind up as something good.

There's a reason I got the last iBook - Apple firsts are always the ones with the least capability. (iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air, iMac, PowerBook, etc, etc...)

verces

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2004
Problems.

1. Ridiculous there is no flash support. Nuff said
2. No camera (Skype / taking self-photos whatever reason, taking photos of others holding the thing which ever way you want for which ever stupid reason), any multimedia device needs a camera no matter what.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
3. No USB
4. No Bluetooth
5. No Multitasking
6. No Infra-red (Whats the use of a slideshow that you can't control?)
7. No language support for many countries for the screen keyboard

Bottom line was that if they didn't want to make a HUGE iPhone, which is not, since there is no phone functionality, then they should've avoided the HUGE iPod touch. But looks like they had nothing new to offer apart from devices to conjure up more revenue from third party sources (iBook store), and unneccessary pretty details on the existing-nothing-new-to-offer programs.

So all in all, what they did was.

1. Enlarge the iPod touch
2. Spice up the usual suspects (Mail, Calendar etc)
3. Add iBook to make more money off yet another "store"
4. Give it a name that any idiot off the street could've guessed.
5. Sell the whole joke for practically half a thousand US dollars. (16GBs??)

it gets worse.

You have to wait 3-6 months for this fiasco. Are you nuts?

mooikiye

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
I really like the iPad but refuse to buy one until

The iPad has a lot to offer and the 3G is almost required if you travel to keep conectivity. But AT&T as the provider is a road block I have had Verizon and AT&T for data conectivity and hands down Verizon actually provides conectivity. AT&T itself has stated their network cannot handle the data load of the iPhone. Then you are going to handle the iPad traffic? The network will go from unaccetably slow to non functional the 14.99 plan will be more than enough as you will not be able to use all 250 MB. People using the iPad will not tolerate the 10mb 3G file size limit when the iPad is designed for watching HD video. Apple really needs to enable the iPad to also work with CDMA carriers. Until than I will not be purchasing an iPad.

Multitasking is on the board for 4.0. Also flash has it's pros and cons so take that either way.

At above post there is a camera adapter that adds a USB connection and the iPAd has built in bluetooth. So they may add a Bluetooth remote 3rd party. We have not see an international version yet to see if there is soft keyboard suppot.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
"It does what it was designed to do...99% of what MOST normal people do in a computer: surf the web, look at photos/video, check email."

The above is me pretty much. I hope (and think) everyone here understands that they are the 1% (more likely the .000001%) of computers users in the world.

I think the bigger issue with most people is that it's not taking the place of even the most basic of computers without multitasking. Most people do those things, but most do them at the same, the iPod Touch, iPhone, and now iPad can't run anything at the same time.

Even Apple's original excuse of "it would be a power drain/resource hog" doesn't hold water with a 1GHz chip.

No multitasking on a device such as that is an epic fail. It would have found a place in many people's bags instead of a Macbook if it just did multitasking.

All other things aside, it's a great product that I could have a couple of uses for, but that multitasking thing (I've been spoiled by Palm) is a big hit. It brings the iPad down to the level of a computer circa 1992.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Even Apple's original excuse of "it would be a power drain/resource hog" doesn't hold water with a 1GHz chip.

The speed of the chip is irrelevant. If you run more processes, you use more power. It's science. ;)

No multitasking on a device such as that is an epic fail. It would have found a place in many people's bags instead of a Macbook if it just did multitasking.

I fully expect to see multitasking in iPhone 4.0 (or OS X Mobile, as it now is the foundation of 3 different devices). And consequently I fully expect to see this happen on the iPad before it ships.

Like the iPhone, I think Apple held some things back so they can continue to milk the hype machine during the crucial "waiting period" before this thing ships. Remember how everyone was screaming about the iPhone's screen, that surely it would get hopelessly scratched up? But between announcement and ship date Apple announced "Oh, by the way, this thing has an optical-quality glass screen?" I expect we'll see details like this trickle out about the iPad in the coming weeks.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You mean like any desktop computer, or laptop for that matter? A system with a screen and keyboard?

...connected to your iMac, eMac, PowerMac, or Mac Pro? Or attached to its own screen with a hinge?

I already do toss both in my bag. It's called the iBook. Humorously enough, the original iBook namesake. The one that did it right. Hopefully the iPad doesn't take as long to wind up as something good.

There's a reason I got the last iBook - Apple firsts are always the ones with the least capability. (iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air, iMac, PowerBook, etc, etc...)

Um. You really don't get the idea of modular? It means you can have the mechanical keyboard on those days you need it (attending a lecture course or a meeting where you need to type 70wpm). And the rest of the time you have a sleek little tablet that you hold like a book and interface with more directly for everything else. With the laptop model, you have no choice; that keyboard is with you always.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The speed of the chip is irrelevant. If you run more processes, you use more power. It's science. ;)

I fully expect to see multitasking in iPhone 4.0 (or OS X Mobile, as it now is the foundation of 3 different devices). And consequently I fully expect to see this happen on the iPad before it ships.

Like the iPhone, I think Apple held some things back so they can continue to milk the hype machine during the crucial "waiting period" before this thing ships. Remember how everyone was screaming about the iPhone's screen, that surely it would get hopelessly scratched up? But between announcement and ship date Apple announced "Oh, by the way, this thing has an optical-quality glass screen?" I expect we'll see details like this trickle out about the iPad in the coming weeks.

True, which is why I also agree that Apple can't hold that back on the iPhone OS for much longer. Stuffing a 1GHz chip in the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad should be more than enough power to pull multitasking out of devices such as those.

The screen isn't a big worry for me with the iPad. That device is big enough and costs enough to take better care of it than your phone. Shoving that into a pocket full of keys is a BIG mistake.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Stuffing a 1GHz chip in the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad should be more than enough power to pull multitasking out of devices such as those.

You're missing the point. The iPhone/iPod have enough power now (and always have) to do multitasking. You really think the reason they don't do it is because their processors can't handle it? (They have the same basic processor as the Palm Pre, BTW.) Of course not. The problem is multitasking draws more battery power, dampening the appeal of the device to the vast majority who don't really care about multitasking.

But Apple should have let the user make this choice. Turn it off by default, but let us turn it on if we want it.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I will be getting one of these devices for 3 reasons

1. To Cheesly loaf
2. To VNC to my Main Mac
3. To you as a track pad & Keyboard for my Mac Mini connected to a 46" LCD TV

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Lack of camera - so what?

Again, NO CAMERA.

Clearly waiting for ver 2.0 to make $ALE$.

Horrible.

Or maybe it's because they said, "let's get this thing out there." I had an iPod Touch (got rid of it) and have an iPhone - I've used my iPhone camera two or three times because I have a camera. If you're wanting a front facing camera for video conferencing, how are you planning on holding this device? I'm thinking the camera is going to have to pop up or the device is going to have to be thicker so the lens can swivel when you move the iPad around? To be honest, I don't see the use of video conferencing as being so big that the lack of a camera now will make this fail. I worked at a company that implemented things like video conferencing - I had one at my computer and never once used it. I have friends and family all over the world (I don't live in the same country I was born in) and none of them video conference with me. If video conferencing is such a big deal it's not anything I know anything about and doubt seriously this will harm the sales that significantly (at least as a v1.0 product). Back to it taking pictures - how ridiculous - can you imagine holding this thing up to take a picture? How ridiculous. Go buy a cheap digital and upload a real photo on this lovely device to your album.

rmcray08

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
What does this mean for OS 4.0?

I'd like to try to connect a few dots. First of all, Apple announces the tablet, a product that won't be available for purchase for two months. The tablet is demoed on iPhone OS 3.2 and the SDK matches that build. Meanwhile, the iPhone community is abuzz regarding the development and release of 4.0. Well, due to the timing and circumstances, it seems to me that this evidence seems to point to the conclusion that those who are crossing their fingers and holding their breath for 4.0 will be potentially waiting a good while. By releasing the 3.2 SDK, the presumption would be that this will be the native OS at the tablet's release. Would Apple dare upstage its newest creation by putting software on the iPhone that the iPad itself doesn't match? I would be doubtful. And how long was it before the iPhone itself got a true update? If my sleuthing is correct, it was over a year. While I don't anticipate the timeframe being nearly that for 4.0, I can certainly imagine at least another four to six months before we see it. Just a point to ponder. Really, I'm just deeply disappointed that Apple continues to work exclusively with AT&T, since their service is absolutely second-rate to other carriers where I live.

Gatesbasher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
I've already said why I won't be buying an iPad, so nobody can accuse me of mindless fanboyism. The "No camera" and No Flash" malarkey is not worth discussing, but multitasking is an Achilles Heel, I admit. Multitasking may very well be coming on OS 4.0, but who knows?

The issue isn't with the processor handling the load. The issue is with idiots leaving 50 processes running and then wondering why their battery is dead. A multitasking OS on a mobile device needs to basically read your mind and decide which apps you've forgotten about and shut them down. Maybe telepathy will be coming as an OS upgrade in June, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A lot of smartphones have multitasking, and a lot of dead batteries, too.

Say what you want about Apple, they don't throw a bunch of crap against that wall to see what sticks. Every feature is the result of a lot of thought, no matter how impatient early adopters get. Remember cut and paste on the iPhone? Apple invented cut and paste on the Mac in 1984 (Well, really on the Lisa, before that.) The way it was done became the standard. They knew whatever they implemented on the iPhone would become a standard that would be impossible to change, so they took their time and they did it right, no matter how much internet abuse they had to absorb.

I think this iPad intro was rushed a little, because the rumormongering was getting out of hand and they needed to get something out there before people would settle for nothing but a virtual reality machine that would let you marry Marilyn Monroe. More complete implementations of a lot of things will come. If the blogosphere would learn a little patience, it would be better for everybody's peace of mind.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is the perfect travel computer, having carried a macbook and a eee PC around for half a year each, weight sucks as does a slow, cramped tiny screen.

Except that it cannot do what computers do. It does what the iPod Touch does.... Add regular OSX capability and then they'll have something.

So much hate on this message board, really, this is a pretty incredible device for a 1.0. macBook pros are going to go the way of the Mac Pro in 2 years i predict, only for pros who really need the power of a portable work station.

I think some people (well probably at least HALF of Mac "fans/fanatics") have some pretty freaking STRANGE ideas about what "hate" is. I see this term used WAY TOO OFTEN to describe what is actually a "dislike" or "negative opinion" about something. They are NOT THE SAME THING! Get a clue people. If someone cannot disagree with someone else without that person accusing them of "hating" or being a "hater" or some form of hatred, well no wonder this world is so screwed up. People have this strange idea that everyone else in the world should agree with them all of the time or they get "labeled" something (often something pretty nasty, which is then hypocrisy as well). I don't have to like the "iPad" or even its name if I don't want to. It sounds like a feminine product for goodness sake. iSlate or even iBook would have been better. But you or anyone else doesn't have to agree with me. Sometimes DIVERSITY is a GOOD thing. Otherwise, you end up with a world that is more like a Borg Collective than anything else.

As for Macbook Pros, they are expensive and the "pro" features are pretty much GONE. Where is the matte screen option? Where is the expansion port? How does an SD card reader make up for losing an extra Firewire port? Professionals want those things. Amateurs want SD ports and glossy screens (and not even all of them). So if the MBP is going anywhere in the next two years, it's because Apple is near-sighted or more like has Steve-Vision (they can't see anything but Steve's ideas and the heck on anything else or what consumers might want).

The iPad isn't a full computer because they know it would then compromise sales of Macbooks for those features, being nearly half the price of the cheapest models. This is Apple not wanting to cross their own markets. This ONLY happens because no one else is allowed to produce OSX compatible hardware. Otherwise, you WOULD see products that do everything for half the price and that would force Apple to do more at a lower price point, not restrict their iPad to iPhone software and not allow full apps like Firefox or 3rd party distributed software (that would choke their MONOPOLY on software for the device where they scrape 30% off the top of other people's work, something which I call extortion since there is NO OTHER OPTION for those developers. Frankly, this is something the justice department should look into. Apple should not be able to approve/block any software they want for their platforms and charge 30% off the top to boot while blocking all other markets for said software and all other hardware competitors from offering competition on the hardware end. Apple basically has ensured that the iPhone/Touch/Pad market has no competitors for hardware OR software for the devices. This is of ZERO benefit to the consumer and is akin to the dilemma the Supreme Court just created by allowing unlimited money from corporations to drown out the voices of the actual people who simply cannot match the BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS an artificial entity like a corporation can put up to push their myopic agenda. This will soon be the Corporate States Of America and Apple with their totalitarian policies will fit right in.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Stop wasting your time!

Except that it cannot do what computers do. It does what the iPod Touch does.... Add regular OSX capability and then they'll have something.

Hmmmm. Let's see, a computer allows you to email, view photos, surf the web, listen to music (though carrying around your home computer with headphones isn't terribly practical), manage contacts, manage schedule, etc. If you stop focusing on what this doesn't do (and given its form factor what the hell do you expect it to do?), it does 90+% of what you do on the computer (which this doesn't replace). If that's not you, ignore it, it's not a product for you and complaining about it I can only judge to be a waste of *your* and MY time.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Um. You really don't get the idea of modular? It means you can have the mechanical keyboard on those days you need it (attending a lecture course or a meeting where you need to type 70wpm). And the rest of the time you have a sleek little tablet that you hold like a book and interface with more directly for everything else. With the laptop model, you have no choice; that keyboard is with you always.

This touch screen UI doesn't have any mouse capability, right? I really can't see docking the iPad to a keyboard and trying to do normal work on it. If every time you need to point, click, or make a mouse action you have to raise your arm to the screen it's going to get awfully tiring really fast.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The problem is multitasking draws more battery power, dampening the appeal of the device to the vast majority who don't really care about multitasking.

But Apple should have let the user make this choice. Turn it off by default, but let us turn it on if we want it.

I do understand what you are saying now, but that I have to disagree with. Multitasking doesn't draw down battery power at all. Unless Apple is using subpar battery tech in their devices.

I do agree that Apple should have given users the choice to just keep one app at a time open. But it's hard for Apple to give it's end users any choice at all.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
For me, the iPad is exactly what I expected. The expectations for this device were so unrealistically high, it could do nothing but disappoint.

No Flash support was pretty obvious from the get-go. Apple has been entirely opposed to implementing Flash on the iPhone, even though the 3GS could handle it perfectly fine. This history, combined with the subtle jabs that Adobe and Apple keep making at each other, and the lack of Flash was pretty obvious.

As for the front-facing, iChat camera, it's omission was written on the wall as well. Months before the iPhone 3G, rumors of a front-facing camera had everyone in a tizzy. The 3G launch came and went and was followed by the 3GS, and still no iChat capability.

So, I think it's important for those let-down by the iPad unveiling to look at Apple's history and realize that those expectations were probably too high to begin with. Would I have loved Flash support and a front-facing camera? Absolutely. But did I think we were going to get them? No, not at all.

Personally, I will be getting an iPad for a number of reasons. I work in marketing and do a lot of website work. To be able to pass the iPad around the table and let everyone have an opportunity to try out the website will be fantastic. And combined with the VGA adapter, I'll be able to run presentations directly off the iPad and not have to worry about lugging me MBP around.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I do understand what you are saying now, but that I have to disagree with. Multitasking doesn't draw down battery power at all. Unless Apple is using subpar battery tech in their devices.

I'm don't understand why you think this. Any process that is running in the background (even an idle app in "standby mode") is going to tax the processor, hence the battery life. This is a known fact. There ain't nothing in this life for free...

Do you think Apple went the "no multitasking" route just to torment its customers?

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Security Issues

I think the camera will become a modular add-on.

If you think more long term application of the iPad in business/corporations, a fixed camera adds security issues to the iPad (same as currently with the iPhone not allowed in information sensitive companies) and if they have it as a add-on it can be easily removed when needed.

BennyFromXXX

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Steve Jobs: "Zzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Beaming dream about iPad version 2.........to Steve Jobs head now.

Please Steve!

"128GB Flash drive. It has a Super Duper Gigantic drive...." Say it Steve...
"Dual Boot iPhone software and Snow Leopard. Fantastic." Very Good Steve...That's it. Take it all in.
"Shared iTunes, iPhoto, etc. libraries for both Partitions. Smart." That's great Steve...
"Snow leopard installs the same way as it does on the MacBook air. Via the Remote Install Mac OS X.app. Easy." That is indeed Easy steve....

"iPhone has iPhone software and the Macbook has Snow Leopard. iPad V2 now....has both. Everyone one big happy family."

I would buy that in an instant Steve.....You can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.