Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
"Dual Boot iPhone software and Snow Leopard. Fantastic." Very Good Steve...That's it.

Triple boot with Windows 7 as well.

Ooops! That won't work, it doesn't have an x64 CPU. Forget OSX 10.6 and Win7. (And it wouldn't
make much sense to port OSX to ARM, since people want OSX for the OSX applications,
and none of those will work.)

BennyFromXXX

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
The Netherlands
It was about the second version iPad. Not this one. :)

But you completed it very well. x64 chip is the key.
That could give us Dual Boot.

Probably won't happen but the idea of OSX on the V2 iPad would definitely appeal to me.

Does it to you?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Apple v.1 products exist for the gadget lovers among us to enjoy and then dump on our wives the split-second v.2 comes along! :D

This is precisely the 'upgrade' process, for many:

V.3 release --> relinquish v.2 to the wife/gf, who, in turn, hands down their previously received v.1 to the offspring. :p

iwillannoyyou

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Strangely, watching 1080p videos in h.264 works fine on my Macs.

Hmm, 1080p video runs great. Yet low-res video in Flash brings my system to its knees. Seems the problem is with Flash Player for OS X. Flash Player by...Adobe.

Flash is the IE 6 of our day. It just gotta go.

Who gives a ****? QuickTime is a piece of ass on my PC. Deal with it.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Beaming dream about iPad version 2.........to Steve Jobs head now.

Please Steve!

"128GB Flash drive. It has a Super Duper Gigantic drive...." Say it Steve...
"Dual Boot iPhone software and Snow Leopard. Fantastic." Very Good Steve...That's it. Take it all in.
"Shared iTunes, iPhoto, etc. libraries for both Partitions. Smart." That's great Steve...
"Snow leopard installs the same way as it does on the MacBook air. Via the Remote Install Mac OS X.app. Easy." That is indeed Easy steve....

"iPhone has iPhone software and the Macbook has Snow Leopard. iPad V2 now....has both. Everyone one big happy family."

I would buy that in an instant Steve.....You can do it.

Dual boot? Why?

Just boot into Snow Leopard and have a emulator for the iPad only stuff. I really think Apple would be smart to put App emulation into iTunes as it is.

puppyflightclub

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
california
I think the camera will become a modular add-on.

If you think more long term application of the iPad in business/corporations, a fixed camera adds security issues to the iPad (same as currently with the iPhone not allowed in information sensitive companies) and if they have it as a add-on it can be easily removed when needed.

never thought about thattttt...

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
As somebody who lives outside of the US, I can't help but wonder if Apple will release the wifi model at the same time as in the US.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
As somebody who lives outside of the US, I can't help but wonder if Apple will release the wifi model at the same time as in the US.

Probably depends on US demand and their initial supply. I'd guess they might not have enough to sell worldwide right away.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This touch screen UI doesn't have any mouse capability, right? I really can't see docking the iPad to a keyboard and trying to do normal work on it. If every time you need to point, click, or make a mouse action you have to raise your arm to the screen it's going to get awfully tiring really fast.

The keyboard would be great for taking notes at high speed in a lecture or a meeting, where you don't need to do much if any mousing around at all. I currently use an archaic Palm Pilot plus folding keyboard for these purposes, and there's no mouse there either. It works very well for fast touch-typing, and the iPad plus keyboard would too.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
They gave us iWork but no iLife? Viewing photos and movies is one thing but this seems like a perfect device for editing a quick small movie with a combo of iMovie '09 and the iPhone's video editing app. If you can do Keynote it can do movies.

Same goes for photos. I'd love to be able to just tap on someone's eye to do red eye removal. Or use multi-touch to select an area to crop.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Probably depends on US demand and their initial supply. I'd guess they might not have enough to sell worldwide right away.

I doubt that.

Attachments

• worldwide.jpg
    worldwide.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 76

rdouthit

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
So are you planning to iPad 'touch' type or adding the physical keyboard accessory. If the latter, then you've just reinvented the netbook. See?

This is what I term 'Technology Devolution'. Taking something apart and then rebuilding it so that it looks the same as before with a small design innovation.

An iPad + keyboard is even less than a netbook or Macbook. Look at what you don't get in that reinvented combination- connections, removable media drives etc..

Design Devolution:mad:

Touch-screen typing on a light, dependable system is the appeal. Light, fast, easy. Not sure what your issue is with it, but don't assume everyone thinks like you do. In a pickle I've written a story on my iPhone. Not ideal, but the story was done when it needed to be.

I've used a netbook and have no interest in owning one. Chintzy toys for linux nerds. Joy for them. Your logic that "adding a keyboard makes it a netbook" is simply flawed. What it does is that it makes it an iPad with a keyboard. Since when has a option been a bad thing?

The notebook most journalists cling onto with their lives --even these days -- is the old 12-inch powerbook. Its been a writers staple for a long time. Several folks I know see the iPad as the mobile heir apparent. It's not because they're just small, but they're small workhorses that are very well built. Some, like me, have moved to newer 15-in Macbook pros, but I can tell you they are too big for the cattle section of today's airplanes.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Ummmm no. What happens when you don't get cell signal? You have a weak little GPS receiver trying to compensate. Dedicated GPS systems always work better.

I stand partly corrected. AGPS can either mean just cell tower triangulation, or a dedicated GPS chip coupled with cell tower triangulation. We'll have to wait and see which one the iPad has.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I'm a die-hard mac user. Magical? Ha! Steve, it's just a big ipod touch! No camera??? No multitasking? No flash? No way to write on it??? This is a huge let down.

PLEASE FIX the IMAC I7 and SHIP IT IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS and update the damn macbook pros so the is a product I want to purchase.

What was the rumor about "you'll be surprised by the way you will interact with it"? I'm surprised alright... in the worst way. (and again, I'm an apple fan...thing is is overhyped PR BS).

I at least pictured having a textbook on it... making notes on the pages and saving them, and being able to video conference.

SAD DAY. VERY SAD.:mad::(:mad::confused::eek:

And WHY NO WIFI SYNC????????

This REALLY SUCKS........ **** YOU STEVE... YOU ARE ACTING LIKE BILL GATES.... MAYBE THE NEW LIVER ISN'T TAKING... GET YOUR ENZYMES CHECKED...

Can we ban this troll.
My imac i7 has worked perfect since day one. I haven't even installed the new firmware.
The ipod got the same negative reaction as this, and look where it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is a market for this thing, and it will get better with each version.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Can we ban this troll.
My imac i7 has worked perfect since day one. I haven't even installed the new firmware.
The ipod got the same negative reaction as this, and look where it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is a market for this thing, and it will get better with each version.

By the way... the iMacs are still on hold so you can't really use that argument.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
By the way... the iMacs are still on hold so you can't really use that argument.

True, i may have gotten extremely lucky with my imac. There are a lot of imacs being prepared to ship in the imac thread, so the hold must be gone.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
How can anybody NOT be disappointed by this? We've been waiting for "The Apple tablet" for years now. When it FINALLY comes out, what is it? Nothing more than an iPod Touch, are you ***** kidding me? There 's NOTHING revolutionary about this, nothing even remotely interesting. The iPad is NOT better at ANY of the things mentioned than my Macbook pro. What a HUGE letdown.

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
The iPad is NOT better at ANY of the things mentioned than my Macbook pro.

You expected a $500-$800 device to be better than a $1200+ device?

Sounds like an unreal expectation, on your part.

It's perfectly understandable to want it to be better than an iPod Touch. It shouldn't just be "a big iPod Touch", it should have features that can't be crammed into a pocketable device, like USB Host/OTG ports, Display Port, even a microSDHC or SDHC card slot.

And while I think it should have run Mac OS X with a finger-optimized UI, instead of running iPhone OS X, to say that it should be better than a Macbook Pro is ... laughable. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made it better than a Macbook Pro. "should I buy a $500 device that does everything this $1200 device does ... or should I buy the $1200 that offers no advantages?" ... say good bye to the Macbook Pro product line. Yeah, that'd be SO brilliant.

Like netbooks, mid-size tablets aren't meant to be better at anything (other than portability) than their laptop (and full-size tablet) cousins. They're specifically intended to be lower powered and slower, because they're only meant for web surfing, mail/calendar/PIM, and media viewing (with possible document viewing and light editing). They are NOT workstation/laptop replacements.

NO ONE had a REASONABLE expectation that the iPad would be better than the Macbook Pro.

The reasonable expectation was that it would be better than an iPod Touch. If the iPad has a point of failure, that's it.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Um. You really don't get the idea of modular? It means you can have the mechanical keyboard on those days you need it (attending a lecture course or a meeting where you need to type 70wpm). And the rest of the time you have a sleek little tablet that you hold like a book and interface with more directly for everything else. With the laptop model, you have no choice; that keyboard is with you always.

I get the idea, but I don't see the point. I'm all for the iPad, but I don't get the keyboard accessory. That's merely marketing it for people that want a physical keyboard to type on - and that market segment is already held by every laptop and netbook with a physical keyboard. While it's an interesting accessory and will probably be useful for some people, it's purpose has been filled years ago.

The people that want a physical keyboard will turn to the laptop, with the computing power to boot (pun intended or not, it works both ways) and the OS that everyone knows and loves. The iPhone OS, IMO, is meant for the iPhone (and iPod Touch) anything beneath the OSX umbrella is covered in OSX.

The OS on the iPad is my only issue. I now have 3 different UIs for iCal, Address Book, Maps, YouTube, App Store, etc - but now I'm getting off topic. Back to my point, I know the thought in the Keyboard Dock is there, but the point is absent and redundant.

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
I get the idea, but I don't see the point. I'm all for the iPad, but I don't get the keyboard accessory. That's merely marketing it for people that want a physical keyboard to type on - and that market segment is already held by every laptop and netbook with a physical keyboard. While it's an interesting accessory and will probably be useful for some people, it's purpose has been filled years ago.

The people that want a physical keyboard will turn to the laptop, with the computing power

Clearly you DON'T get it.

I want a mid-size tablet (9" or 10" specifically). I want it to do common tasks and light weight tasks (web surfing, media playing, rss reading, document viewing and maybe light editing, note taking and review, and then for my quirky needs, ssh and vnc/remote-desktop). I only SOMETIMES need a keyboard, not all the time. MOST of the time, a keyboard is wasted weight that just gets in the way. I only need a keyboard in a few situations (taking notes, for example).

My experience with netbooks is: the keyboard is always wasted space. It's too big to thumb type, and it's too small to touch type. It's ALWAYS better to use an external keyboard when you want to really type on a netbook. And when you don't need to really type heavily, the included keyboard is just awkward.

But to say that I would, instead, get a laptop? You're on drugs. Heavy, debilitating, drugs. A laptop is WAY TOO BIG, too expensive, and a complete waste of CPU power (like I said, I only need to do common and light weight tasks; why pay for a heavier class of CPU, Disk, and RAM than what I actually need?).

No, the correct answer is: a mid-size tablet, that has built-in USB and video-out. When I don't need to type (just reading), then there's no useless (netbook sized) keyboard in the way. When I need to do just the most basic of typing (navigating menus with single character strokes, short phrase entry, short message entry, etc.), then an on-screen virtual keyboard is good enough. When I need to do REAL typing, I can get a full size folding USB or Bluetooth keyboard to fill that need.

I don't need to waste money, electricity, nor waste space in my gadget bag, on a laptop. I don't want/need a netbook sized keyboard. Nor do I want/need a laptop sized keyboard (when I want a keyboard, I want a REAL keyboard).

The problem with the Keyboard Dock for the iPad is NOT that it exists. It's that it exists as a hard-wired keyboard. It should have a USB port (or two) and a Display Port connector, so that you can use a real keyboard (or an ergonomic keyboard, or whatever keyboard you choose), maybe a real monitor (and maybe via a KVM switch).

But your idea that people who want real keyboards will step up to laptops is completely laughable. And your logic behind it sounds like you've been OD'ing on cough syrup.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The people that want a physical keyboard will turn to the laptop, with the computing power to boot (pun intended or not, it works both ways) and the OS that everyone knows and loves.

...I know the thought in the Keyboard Dock is there, but the point is absent and redundant.

I am one of those people who wants a physical keyboard on some occasions (but not always), and I do not carry my laptop with me anywhere except on long trips. I use an old Palm Pilot and folding keyboard instead. So I love the idea of having a very powerful productivity computer in my home office, complete with every whizbang peripheral I want to pay for, and then having something modular that gives me the option to do some very fast touch-typing in a lecture hall or meeting room. Then afterwards, I can dump the keyboard and enjoy the multitouch experience of the iPad to do some reading or browsing, holding this light little thing in my hands like a book.

For those few situations that demand rapid typing away from my office computer, a laptop is overkill. And neither a laptop nor a netbook will give me the option to head over to the local cafe or to my living room couch for some reading and browsing with the ease and pleasure that an iPad has to offer.

So while you may see some redundancy, there is definitely "a point" to having both a productivity computer stationed in one place and an iPad plus optional peripherals for travel needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.