Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
New problem: running Disk Utility with an encrypted Time Machine backup disk connected via USB-C causes Disk Utility to crash instantly. Previously it crashed the MBP, so it's half fixed at least.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Everyone is complaining about those emojis, and I haven't saw or use any on my MacBook. Am I the only one like this?

Unfortunately you are missing the point. Emojis and other gimmicks mean absolutely nothing to the Real Mac user. Only to those who treat a Mac like a fashion accessory.

Mac users come under two categories

1) Those who purchase a Mac as a tool.

2) Those who purchase a Mac as a fashion accessory

Unfortunately there are far too many that belong in the latter category and it is because of that Apple has lost focus on the REAL Mac user.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Unfortunately you are missing the point. Emojis and other gimmicks mean absolutely nothing to the Real Mac user. Only to those who treat a Mac like a fashion accessory.

Mac users come under two categories

1) Those who purchase a Mac as a tool.

2) Those who purchase a Mac as a fashion accessory

Unfortunately there are far too many that belong in the latter category and it is because of that Apple has lost focus on the REAL Mac user.

LOL, nice straw man. A person can't apparently be 1 and 2? No possible other options at all...

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Can anyone report back if this release fixes the scrolling issue with Logitech gaming mice that has been present since the first release of Sierra?

Have you tried disabling scroll acceleration?
I had similar issue with some no-name mouse - retarded acceleration curves that Apple invents was reporting fraction
lines on slow scrolling, causes no scroll at all. Setting:

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.scrollwheel.scaling -1

fixed the issue.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Well that was a bit of a Restartathon to install.. But no matter. So far so good. And.. Do my eyes deceive me?! The mouse scrolling appears to be fixed! Hallelujah!

[edit] Well i'll be buggered with a barge pole.. Safari is stable again too!

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Does anyone know if they've changed the SMB/AFP connection authentication method yet.

In all previous versions of OSX credentials for connecting to a network drive could be stored in keychain. Sierra completely screwed that and now I have staff complaining because they're getting constant login prompts for their server shares.

Reactions: tICM and dzj

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Oh yeah I forgot there is a third. Those who purchase a Mac to brag "I've got a Mac" when their only intention is to run Windows.
But enough about Boltjames ;)

I need to know two things:
1. Does this AGAIN re-enable "Optimize storage" in iCloud preferences?
2. Does Photos still take weeks to do face detection when you don't store the full quality photos on your computer? (Or, pray tell, does the data sync between computers now? Naah, forget I asked that.)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
This update appears to have triggered a complete Spotlight reindex on both my Mac min and MacBook Pro.

For the first time in a while, I can hear the fans on both of them.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Have you tried disabling scroll acceleration?
I had similar issue with some no-name mouse - retarded acceleration curves that Apple invents was reporting fraction
lines on slow scrolling, causes no scroll at all. Setting:

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.scrollwheel.scaling -1

fixed the issue.

You know what...after I posted, I decided to do another Google search (I've done several on the issue in the past few weeks). Today, I found a thread that mentioned typing that into Terminal and I've been pondering whether I'd give Sierra another shot. Now, after reading your post, I think I will go ahead and update to Sierra again and then I'll enter that into Terminal. Thank you!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I guess my system got some sort of firmware update. Early 2011 17" MacBook Pro. Recently labeled as obsolete.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I tried to install this update on my new MBP 15+ touch bar. Halfway through the installation, it rebooted to a black screen and just sat that way forever. I force restarted with the power button and it rebooted to a screen that said "15 minutes remaining" and then completed the installation.

All seems OK now, but I get really nervous having to force restart in the middle of an installation.
[doublepost=1481667185][/doublepost]System Integrity Protection still shows "disabled" on my MBP too. I thought this was fixed in this update.

JanDdd

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
I'm hoping it fixes backups to Time Capsules. Neither my 2010 iMac nor my 2014 MBP Retina finish backing up in Time Machine since I put Sierra onto them, and offline backups are a bit 2005 for my liking.

If you use Avira antivirus: disable on scan access. This will fix the issue. It is an Avira issue, not a Macos issue.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Very sloppy of Apple to release iOS 10.2 a day before macOS 10.12.2 and iTunes 12.5.4. Videos cannot sync without iTunes 12.5.4.

I synced a movie from iTunes to my iPad(iOS 10.2) with no problem before I knew there was an update .

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I synced a movie from iTunes to my iPad(iOS 10.2) with no problem before I knew there was an update .

Does your iPad have Videos app?

Mine doesn't as it got removed on its own. And I cannot download it from the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.