Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
Just updated my late 2011 MBP 15 with AMD 6770 gfx card.
Apparently there was some firmware update done; multiple reboots; strange "siren" sound in between.
When it came up again, I got distorted graphics (looked like video memory corruption); I rebooted, got an actual blue screen shortly after; System crashed and rebooted.
So far it's running okay now since about an hour. I still have a bad feeling now...

JanDdd

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Sadly not that simple as I don't use that. No AV at all. I just keep everything patched and use Little Snitch to monitor what programs are trying to talk in or out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Could be a similar issue with another product. Look at messages in console.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Re USB Audio loss.

Reinstalled Sierra - USB audio device shows up in Sound Output menu. USB Audio device does not show up in that menu on my MacBook, so it's definitely a screw up by Apple. First time it's happened to me.

So if you use USB Audio devices - avoid this update to Sierra till the issue is resolved.

Wow, so glad I read this before installing; have the Bose Companion 5 which are USB based.

Ridiculous - please update with a reply or quote to my post if anything changes.

Reactions: HurryKayne

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
One of the hardest things for tech companies to do is get people to update their software. It generally benefits everybody - quality of user experience typically increases and then in turn people speak more highly of the products. Updates can still be inconvenient. "But it works fine why update it?"

Apple has answered this question by putting the pill in the marshmallow - give them more emojis.

For clarity - I think this is actually really smart. I am watching my normally slow poke friends doing the updates quickly because it has an emoji update. Its really cool.

It may have once been true, but a lot of updates these days are not to the benefit of the user.

It's only really a problem when updates are permanent.

Reactions: Martyimac

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
This fix the Time Machine bug with NAS devices? I noticed that AFP , they are moving away from. Is this gone in this update, so we can just use SAMBA?

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
Tim has to go and go fast. Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer. the ship is sinking, Thanks Captain Cook, it took Steve years to build Apple good name and reputation but you MR COOK destroyed all that in seconds. i still love apple but somebody has to make some serious changes on the company because things are looking very bad and it just keep getting worse. sorry for my bad english

never send a human to do a machine's job

half-life

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
The updated increased the touchpad sensibility/speed.
The sound from the speakers seem louder too.
Or could be just placebo effect..

Macbook pro 2016 nTB

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Bwahaha they removed the battery indicator!
Well that solves the battery issues!
Isn't the battery indicator still there and it's just estimated time that has been removed (which doesn't really hide the battery usage)?
[doublepost=1481674365][/doublepost]
I don't give a toss about emojis Apple!
That's all good and fine, other things are in the updates as well, and not everyone cares about all of them either.

Reactions: chabig

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Just updated my late 2011 MBP 15 with AMD 6770 gfx card.
Apparently there was some firmware update done; multiple reboots; strange "siren" sound in between.
When it came up again, I got distorted graphics (looked like video memory corruption); I rebooted, got an actual blue screen shortly after; System crashed and rebooted.
So far it's running okay now since about an hour. I still have a bad feeling now...

I just updated mine and got a firmware update as well. No video issues though.

Update: This update turned off my Trim support on my 3rd party drive. Will try to re-enable.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
This update stopped after completing most of the way and never finished in my Mac mini. It's completely hung up. First time an OS X update failed on me. Anyone know what I should do next?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Here are some more updates:

Safari 10.0.2 for El capitan:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...0o25n461p8hvpuz2x3n/Safari10.0.2ElCapitan.pkg

Safari 10.0.2 for Yosemite:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...dpamv7qxcvf60k5pj5gi/Safari10.0.2Yosemite.pkg

Security Update for El Capitan 10.11.6 (2016-003):

Not on Apple's Software page yet but you can get it here instead.

Install the components in this order FullBundleUpdate.pkg then FirmwareUpdate.pkg then SecUpd2016-003ElCapitan.pkg:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...6t4bb820apbkszfxy5dlywwe/FullBundleUpdate.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...q86t4bb820apbkszfxy5dlywwe/FirmwareUpdate.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...0apbkszfxy5dlywwe/SecUpd2016-003ElCapitan.pkg

EDIT: This is now available as a single download at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1903?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:
Reactions: imasterus

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With the Watch OS 3.1.1 debacle bricking Series 2 watches - I think I'll hold off for a day or 2 on this one.

The update is not even showing up for me. I used to be one of those to trumpet "no problems here!", but this is getting messy! The "Mac App Store" app is a completely poor excuse for an application from Apple. They need to toss it out and completely rethink it, making it native, not web-based.

(Okay, after a long time of checking, the update has appeared... it will be installed later tonight... wish me luck!)

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This update stopped after completing most of the way and never finished in my Mac mini. It's completely hung up. First time an OS X update failed on me. Anyone know what I should do next?
The same thing happened to me on my MBP. The screen went black and stayed that way forever. I did a force reboot by holding down the power button and when it restarted, the progress indicator reappeared with 15 minutes left and the installation finished.

It's crap like this that makes me very wary to install updates. I just don't trust Apple anymore.

Reactions: IscariotJ and dzj

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
In these recent updates, Apple leverages agile frameworks to provide a robust synopsis for high level overviews. Iterative approaches to corporate strategy foster collaborative thinking to further the overall value proposition. By organically growing the holistic world view of disruptive innovation via workplace diversity and empowerment, they can bring to the table win-win survival strategies to ensure proactive domination. At the end of the day, going forward, a new normal that has evolved from generation X is on the runway heading towards a streamlined cloud solution. User generated content in real-time will have multiple touchpoints for offshoring. That’s the power of emoji.

Spoken like a true marketing ******. ;)

I imagine every meeting at every other tech-based company is filled to the brim with this type of meaningless, marketing buzzword BS. Marketing...got to get those metrics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Bwahaha they removed the battery indicator!
Well that solves the battery issues!

No way in hell I will upgrade my machine after reading all the negative posts, but... like... seriously?
Is there a new option to reactivate it? Or via terminal?
If there isn't that's pure comedy.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
New problem: running Disk Utility with an encrypted Time Machine backup disk connected via USB-C causes Disk Utility to crash instantly. Previously it crashed the MBP, so it's half fixed at least.
USB-C is just a plug, not a data transfer protocol. The type of plug on your cable shouldn't make the machine or the app crash. Your disk is connected either with USB, Thunderbolt, or Firewire. My Thunderbolt connected, encrypted Time Machine volume works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.