Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
I logged in to report the same thing: but I think it may be related to the menu bar functionality. As has been reported on this forum, in previous builds, switching between screens with "displays have separate spaces" enabled would create a significant and annoying pause while the focus changed from a window on one screen to the window which had been switched to on the other screen, along with flickering menu bar items, particularly where the dark mode menu bar was being used. The Bartender dev referred to this problem in one of his patch notes, so I think this confirms that the menu bar code has been modified in some way.

I emailed the developer about this. Hopefully they're aware of the issue, and they will release an update in time for the official release of 10.10.3. I have heard nothing from them so far.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Just found!

They have added the different race skins to Emoji :eek:

Who's skin is that yellow? Someone with jaundice?

----------

I find it strange that some seem to have wifi issues and some don't. I haven't seen wifi issues at all in Yosemite. :-| What is different for me compared to you? I have a MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2012) and it's been working fine with wifi. Also have a MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011 I think) and that also works fine with wifi.

I think it has something to do with the type of network security installed and firewalls. On my late 2013 rMBP when I'm at work, wifi is barely usable. It's always disconnnecting and causing problems. As soon as I go to my home wifi network that's only secured by password, wifi works flawlessly.

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Still can't change photo locations in photos :( at least can have iPad and iPhone connected without crashing photos now

moophone

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
This may have been discussed, but has anyone noticed how smoother the notification area is with 10.10.3? Seems to maintain 60hz now which 10.10.2 chunked at (at least with my MBP'14 discrete gfx only)

I actually filed a bug with this, as the performance used to degrade over time, but they seem to have fixed that

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Just found!

They have added the different race skins to Emoji :eek:

Fantastic!

These one-colored bastards were the root of all evil in Yosemite: responsible for the poor UI performance and WiFi drops!

Now its all for the better, problem found - problem solved, Apple style.

Hooray for rainbow Emoji!

Last edited:

ipmasta

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Well

Hopefully the release that follows yosemite with be better. I ended up for the first time since I've ever owned a mac, downgrading both my computers to mavericks because I had nothing but bugs and problems. Upgrading to a new os should run just as good if not better.

moophone

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
moophone

Agree. Design and engineering usually conflict. In the end, design usually wins ($$).

I actually really like the UI changes, but the UI lag really annoys me and ruins the experience. It does seem to be getting better with 10.10.3 (notification are is now smooth), but it has a ways to go. Safari still updates <60hz sometimes.

In short, on a modern computer, *nothing* should *ever* stutter/lag, or otherwise have updates below 60hz for animations, UI, etc.

seriously.

I hope 10.11 is a pure performance and usability release with deeper seamless integration to iOS 8+9 with minimal new flashy features. My short list would be:

1. Across the board minimum 60hz UI under all conditions (better hardware transparency support?)
2. Exchange Activesync for push notifications. Licence the technology like you have already done in iOS.
3. Better SMB support (faster updates for directory listings similar to windows machines, with better compatibility with windows SMB servers). I know.. unlikely

Hopefully the release that follows yosemite with be better. I ended up for the first time since I've ever owned a mac, downgrading both my computers to mavericks because I had nothing but bugs and problems. Upgrading to a new os should run just as good if not better.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
From what I know, trim enabler doesn't work on Yosemite..... :(

You can still enable trim, but you need to turn off the kext signing check. Some people freak out over this as it is a security feature - but its one we have never had before Yosemite, and personally I dont think its that big a deal (but I also know exactly how to quickly fix booting issues after a PRAM reset when doing so).

If you wanted to just trim the SSD every month or so, grab a 8gb usb stick, install mavericks on it with a trim support patched in, and run a fsck -ffy on your ssd when needed. You rely on the internal garbage collection inbetween, and know that the drive has been successfully trimmed often enough for peace of mind.

I wouldnt avoid yosemite cause of trim support. I would avoid it for the WiFi issues, and if you have a 2011 MBP with dGPU, it runs substantially hotter, at least it does on mine. Which is the main reason I avoid it. I've had to reflow the dGPU 3 times in the past, dont want to hasten its death with Yosemite.

Last edited:

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
This is very annoying, after I installed the update my iMac won't boot into the OS so now I'm stuck at a blank grey screen.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Agree. Design and engineering usually conflict. In the end, design usually wins ($$).

I actually really like the UI changes, but the UI lag really annoys me and ruins the experience. It does seem to be getting better with 10.10.3 (notification are is now smooth), but it has a ways to go. Safari still updates <60hz sometimes.

In short, on a modern computer, *nothing* should *ever* stutter/lag, or otherwise have updates below 60hz for animations, UI, etc.

seriously.

I hope 10.11 is a pure performance and usability release with deeper seamless integration to iOS 8+9 with minimal new flashy features. My short list would be:

1. Across the board minimum 60hz UI under all conditions (better hardware transparency support?)
2. Exchange Activesync for push notifications. Licence the technology like you have already done in iOS.
3. Better SMB support (faster updates for directory listings similar to windows machines, with better compatibility with windows SMB servers). I know.. unlikely

ActiveSync is mainly for mobile devices and it lacks certain features that are needed on a desktop Exchange client. The way to go from here would be full EWS support, and if possible support for MAPI HTTP (if Microsoft even allows licensing).
ActiveSync will die at some point and Microsoft isn't even developing it anymore. Their plans for mobility include apps, that connect via OWA and/or EWS to Exchange.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
It's been a while Apple has seeded betas exceeding 1GB, of course the last one did but before that. Glad to see it, gives me more expectations for the update. :cool:

Unless of course most of that is taken up by the lovely new emoji library :p

Hopefully Yosemite improves quite a bit over the next few releases. From reading these forums I think a lot of us are really holding hope that 10.11 will be the snowleopard/mavericks type optimisation release, that would make me far happier than adding dozens of half baked features.

howi

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013

Folks,

Just notice a little strange thing... When I click on "About this Mac", it shows "135122" instead of the "Yosemite"...

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Folks,

Just notice a little strange thing... When I click on "About this Mac", it shows "135122" instead of the "Yosemite"...

Works here fine.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-24 um 07.37.24.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-24 um 07.37.24.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 68

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Every time an update is announced the Barbarian Hordes descend to complain about their favorite bug (real or mostly imagined). And of course until this favorite bug is fixed their computer is totally useless, unable to perform any work. How they keep their jobs without the use of the now useless machine is anyone’s guess. The “Society For The Perpetually Dissatisfied” meets every Tuesday at the local Denny’s...unless someone declared it a useless meeting.

Ha!! I love this. Your last sentence really made me laugh. Thanks for posting.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You can still enable trim, but you need to turn off the kext signing check. Some people freak out over this as it is a security feature - but its one we have never had before Yosemite, and personally I dont think its that big a deal (but I also know exactly how to quickly fix booting issues after a PRAM reset when doing so).

If you wanted to just trim the SSD every month or so, grab a 8gb usb stick, install mavericks on it with a trim support patched in, and run a fsck -ffy on your ssd when needed. You rely on the internal garbage collection inbetween, and know that the drive has been successfully trimmed often enough for peace of mind.

I wouldnt avoid yosemite cause of trim support. I would avoid it for the WiFi issues, and if you have a 2011 MBP with dGPU, it runs substantially hotter, at least it does on mine. Which is the main reason I avoid it. I've had to reflow the dGPU 3 times in the past, dont want to hasten its death with Yosemite.

My late 2011 is running fine and quite cold (I rarely exceed 48'C), so I'm waiting a little more less

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Apple has contacted me directly about ONE of the many problems I've reported, none of which they've fixed so far.

The one they wanted info on is Bluetooth. Plugging in an iPhone and the iPhone not being recognized and all Bluetooth connections being killed, mouse, keyboard, you name it. I'm hoping this is fixed.

WIFI I have fixed all on my own by deleting the Yosemite settings and just re-entering almost the exact same settings manually. Why the generic installer screws it up, I have no clue.

But the Displays Preference problem is the one that drives me nuts as much as the Bluetooth problem.

If you have 2-3 displays connected to a Mac Pro, FORGET YOSEMITE. It will never boot to the correct display or come back from sleep correctly.

EPIC FAIL APPLE! :(

I'll post my results after the install. Not very optimistic though. :(

kheowkul

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
I emailed the developer about this. Hopefully they're aware of the issue, and they will release an update in time for the official release of 10.10.3. I have heard nothing from them so far.

Had the same problem, switching resolution and then switching back solved the problem for me!

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
[...]
If you have 2-3 displays connected to a Mac Pro, FORGET YOSEMITE. It will never boot to the correct display or come back from sleep correctly.
Can't confirm that. I'm running a 3 display setup and even have a TV connected. No such issues at all.

I do notice some flickering in 14D87h, similar to previous .0 and .2 betas. That should be solved as usual with the final release.

sefki21

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
since the second 10.10.3 beta my Handoff/Continuity seems to be broken:
- Handoff not working
- Cellular Phonecalls via Mac not working
- send non iMessage Messages via Mac not working
- Text Message forwarding not working
etc.

any others with the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.