Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Try reinstalling the OS X Software Update Seed Configuration Utility. I did that once and it showed right up.

same here.

----------

Folks,

Just notice a little strange thing... When I click on "About this Mac", it shows "135122" instead of the "Yosemite"...

change System Preferences / Language to English . Use the + button if English is not visible.

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver

Attachments

• ssd1.jpg
    ssd1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 120

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Lots of different hardware, for instance, different modems/routers, different Macs, different WIFI/Network settings.
We don't know the solution, heck, even Apple can't figure it out.

But, it seems like Discoveryd is the problem, just today I got mDNSResponder from 10.9.1 installed instead of buggy Discoveryd, seems to have solved it for me.

Yes, of course. Has to be something that's different. And I can imagine I would have the same issues with my wifi on my computer if I got into the same network environment as the ones who has problems. So a software issue it is, but it is important to notice it isn't something that happens to all users.

Good find there on discoveryd. Has it been reported to Apple? Here: http://bugreport.apple.com

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Photos is so much better for me on this beta. On beta 1 it crashed when I clicked on most of the buttons in Edit and would not delete photos. Perhaps I had a poor installation, but all that's gone now. I can access all of the adjustment tools (I assume all). It still won't assign faces, but that's not a big deal at this point. Notification Center is smoother.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Yosemite still boots to the WRONG display consistently no matter what cabling I use. Swap HDMI for DVI. Doesn't matter. Epic fail Apple. Another bug report fallen on deaf ears.

Apple's Displays Preference Panel simply does not work. Yosemite is a "Bag o' Hurt" if you do any graphics design work on any Mac Pro with a high end graphics card and expect things to be where you want them & on what display.

I can use the same displays with Mavericks with no problem, so that pretty much guarantees it's a Yosemite problem that Apple simply chooses not to fix.

I guess Apple is telling Pro users to stick with Mavericks. It just simply selects which display you want and keeps it that way. No problems. I've about had it with this problem. It seems like it would be a simple problem to fix given Mavericks works perfect. Who wants to be moving windows around from display to display constantly and having to override Yosemite or have to turn on their HDTV just to sign in on the other wall?
This is beyond annoying! :(

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Fingers crossed for Wi-Fi fix...

Ah who am I kidding?

I'm in agreement.

It's disappointing that my two year old ThinkPad workstation demonstrates excellent WiFi connectivity, when my new far more expensive MBPr doesn't, no matter which of our four (work) labs I happen to be at. I get the same results in my home as well.

If Apple ever gets serious and fixes their wireless connectivity issues I'll be very satisfied. Off and on over the last six years and four new MBP'S the wireless experience has been the only truly poor performing subsystem. I do love my Macs.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
So far after this one day of testing, I have not yet been able to get my iPhone to crash the Bluetooth completely & disable the iPhone connection, forcing a reboot.

Hoping they finally fixed that.
(Knocks on wood)

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
NEW SECURITY BUG IN YOSEMITE!

Let me preface... I have 3 copies of Yosemite I'm testing, one basic, one my daily use, one my backup and a clean copy of Mavericks to balance against with all the same settings as my daily use in case I have to revert.

On my daily use YOSEMITE install, the latest update corrupted my System Preferences log-in settings meaning that even though I'm requiring a user name & password, it's automatically logging in against my wishes.

This is a MAJOR security issue and bug!

Oh, on this Yosemite install, it fixed the WRONG SCREEN problem by evading all my boot security settings and will not honor any settings requiring a password while booting.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY FLAW!

Yes, it sort of solved one problem, but created a MUCH BIGGER ONE! :(

I hate to say this, but I think I'm really going to have to go back to Mavericks. :(

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Is anybody on retina iMac noticing any stuttering issues in typing in this beta? I'm forced to use Firefox because it is the only browser that doesn't have any typing stuttering issues in text fields. Beside Safari/Chrome, everything else is working fine.

NEW SECURITY BUG IN YOSEMITE!

Let me preface... I have 3 copies of Yosemite I'm testing, one basic, one my daily use, one my backup and a clean copy of Mavericks to balance against with all the same settings as my daily use in case I have to revert.

On my daily use YOSEMITE install, the latest update corrupted my System Preferences log-in settings meaning that even though I'm requiring a user name & password, it's automatically logging in against my wishes.

This is a MAJOR security issue and bug!

Oh, on this Yosemite install, it fixed the WRONG SCREEN problem by evading all my boot security settings and will not honor any settings requiring a password while booting.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY FLAW!

Yes, it sort of solved one problem, but created a MUCH BIGGER ONE! :(

I hate to say this, but I think I'm really going to have to go back to Mavericks. :(

If it corrupted your settings, it wouldn't be able to log you in automatically, that is suggesting Yosemite was storing your password on your disk in clear view even if you required the password.

You should file a radar and let Apple investigate it.

stefanski

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
Australia
Is anybody on retina iMac noticing any stuttering issues in typing in this beta? I'm forced to use Firefox because it is the only browser that doesn't have any typing stuttering issues in text fields. Beside Safari/Chrome, everything else is working fine.

I have the same problem. In fact, it stutters across several apps, not just Safari. I'm not using a retina machine. I am on a 2011 MBP. Then again, it is a Beta and I don't expect a flawless performance. The issue is kind of very prominent and I'm nevertheless somewhat surprised that they would have let it slip even in a Beta. Surely won't be long before we see the next iteration which will hopefully fix this.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have the same problem. In fact, it stutters across several apps, not just Safari. I'm not using a retina machine. I am on a 2011 MBP. Then again, it is a Beta and I don't expect a flawless performance. The issue is kind of very prominent and I'm nevertheless somewhat surprised that they would have let it slip even in a Beta. Surely won't be long before we see the next iteration which will hopefully fix this.

I see it too, especially in Outlook and the contacts.app. A reboot helps, but of course this will get fixed soon. It's a beta and we shouldn't be complaining.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I'm in agreement.

It's disappointing that my two year old ThinkPad workstation demonstrates excellent WiFi connectivity, when my new far more expensive MBPr doesn't, no matter which of our four (work) labs I happen to be at. I get the same results in my home as well.

If Apple ever gets serious and fixes their wireless connectivity issues I'll be very satisfied. Off and on over the last six years and four new MBP'S the wireless experience has been the only truly poor performing subsystem. I do love my Macs.

It's really sad indeed. Apple thinks the Ethernet ports are physically too high and will probably not be available on the new 12" machine. But at the moment the Yosemite wifi module is just crap.
Personally I will not buy another Apple laptop until wifi is fixed properly.

The current situation is pretty unbelievable.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It's been eight months since the first release and they still have interface bugs...incredible effort

Mid October - Mid February = 8 ?

Or are you gonna tell me that during the betas everything should have been fixed already? I would love to meet that software engineering team, especially when they redesign a complete OS. Microsoft might as well ship Windows 10 now.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Bout time. iOS/Yosemite...Apple software on a whole, are a mess. Not to mention their recent push for "disposable computers" w/ no user upgradeability unless it comes in the form of a Mac Pro.

1) did they just defrost you
2) the push that gave us unparalleled notebooks and PCs in regards to thiness and quality like the iMac, Mac book Air and retina Macbook pro?
3) the the push that very OEM is copying now?
4) the push that made your devices not fall apart after 1-2 years?
5) the push that gave us unibody designs with no fan at the bottom?
6) the push that changed the game?

:confused:

Oh and apples software is doing fine and is not a mess. Other OS X and iOS releases had far worst issues and it seems Apple is working hard at polishing their recent releases.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
It's really sad indeed.

So very true.

I've been an Apple loyalist for years, point being, I know them well and know their technical expertise is very high.

There's only one reason they continue to have WiFi issues...complacency.

Simply unacceptable.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's really sad indeed. Apple thinks the Ethernet ports are physically too high and will probably not be available on the new 12" machine. But at the moment the Yosemite wifi module is just crap.
Personally I will not buy another Apple laptop until wifi is fixed properly.

Ethernet ports are quite clunky in this day and age. Of course they won't put one on the 12" Air as the 13" Air doesn't have one either. Most people use wifi now, the Air's are aimed at mobility. You can just pick up a thunderbolt adapter for Ethernet, if you require it.

With the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro in my house, along with about 12 Airs, 6 Pros, Mac Mini and iMac amongst friends and families, none have wifi issues anymore. Some did have the problem, but as of 10.10.2, they're sorted.

No OS is perfect. Someone is always going to have a problem with something. Could be worse, you could have to endure Patch Tuesday...

----------

We shouldn't complain, we should file bug reports.

Exactly this. I reckon 90% of people whinging about issues haven't even bothered filing bug reports. Some I have challenged and They state that they don't need to. Laughable.

gabe-

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Has no one else here experienced the bug in Mail where random e-mail threads become grouped together? It's extremely frustrating. Apple hasn't acknowledged the bug yet, although there are multiple threads about it in their support community, like this one for example...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6642737

I was really hoping to see this fixed in 10.10.3 rather than having to switch to a new e-mail client entirely.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I respectfully disagree.

----------

We shouldn't complain, we should file bug reports.

Realistically, I don't think they really pay attention to either, at least outside their closed groups or possibly specific target bugs.

----------

Exactly this. I reckon 90% of people whinging about issues haven't even bothered filing bug reports. Some I have challenged and They state that they don't need to. Laughable.

If, in fact, what you say is true, then maybe it is time for Apple to try a different approach.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007

If it corrupted your settings, it wouldn't be able to log you in automatically, that is suggesting Yosemite was storing your password on your disk in clear view even if you required the password.

You should file a radar and let Apple investigate it.

Well this is confusing because I've previously had no password sign in and then had one before iCloud took over my passwords. So I don't know what the solution to this is but just lose all my data and start over and that's NOT really an option since Mavericks works just fine with no problem has no security flaws.

Apple's Yosemite updates are turning into a Whack a Mole game. Ugh :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.