Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
How about calling it the "iCrappyEReaderBecauseItDoesntHaveEInk"?

I'm still trying to see the use for this outside of niche markets. It's not like the Axiotron tablet is selling millions every quarter.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It's funny that Apple would dispute this with Axiotron (which is a joint venture with Other World Computing) - On Apple's Copyright & Trademark Guidelines page - they have this:

c. “Mac” is used in combination with another non-generic word.

Acceptable: MacVenus MacCharlie

Not acceptable: MacCharleston MacSales

the website for Other World Computing is http://WWW.MACSALES.COM

I have a MacCharlie. :D

I think the trademark "confusion" of MacTablet was not likely until Apple planned a tablet release. I hope Apple did something cool for them such as help with their next case mold or some such.

The ModBook is a vertical market solution of a complete Macintosh experience with pen input, flat form factor and also portable. I would think Apple is generally happy to have them in the ecosystem as a unique value-added vendor.

The iBook or MacBook (ATNN) will be an iPhone OS device. I just wonder if it will ALSO have Finder?

Rocketman

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Sorry to drift off topic but does anyone know what the eject sign in the menu bar from the pic is?

Back on topic @ MacBoobsPro, I doubt the newly refreshed and completely un-pro Macbook will be renamed a MacbookPro just so they can give it's name to the tablet.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I think TabletMac is a pretty lame sounding name. Definitely think they're covering their bases with this one, and probably won't ever use it.

However, please apple, enough with the "i" prefix. iThis, iThat, iGetsickofitanditsnot1999anymore.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Apple may have simply contested the trademark due to the potential for confusion between "TabletMac" and their own trademarks.

Who says Apple contested the mark? Seems like they just bought it. Also, the issue is not confusion between trademarks. The issue is confusion as to the source of a product in light of similar trademarks...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If they are going to use it, it'll be more like

MacTablet

similar to
MacBook
MacBook Pro

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

I'm still trying to see the use for this outside of niche markets. It's not like the Axiotron tablet is selling millions every quarter.

The Axiotron tablet is extremely expensive as it is a conversion of an existing MB.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

Is that sarcasm? Is eInk available in color yet? I'm skeptical that Apple would use eink for the lack of affordable color, and for its poor contrast. The reduced battery life due to using a conventional LCD probably isn't that much of a problem for most users. If they can get 8 hours of use out of it, I bet that would be great for most people, only in relatively rare cases is the "weeks" necessary.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Apple never marketed anything as iTouch. There's no product called that.

I'm just saying. TabletMac sounds really dumb. iTouch was made up by iPod touch users because they are too lazy to type iPod touch (I guess) and then a lot of people just started calling it that.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
How about "iScribe"?

Those who wrote on ancient tablets were called scribes.

It would also be a tie-in with "subscribe" for the likely publishing functionality of the device. Maybe also a reference to its possible handwriting recognition functionality.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I keep coming back to various Apple people who have stated numerous times they wouldn't release anything in the tablet/netbook slot unless they had something great to offer.

TabletMac hints at something more capable. I can't see why they would release anything 'cut-down' or limited to books and magazines, or just running apps. This is going to be more than anything else we're offered right now.

The rumours about publishers is all about expanding iTunes, which may need a name change, frankly, and the tablet is something else. It could be like those things Captain Kirk has to sign once in a while...!

Jul 29, 2008
Why it won't be a 'TabletMac'

1) One too many syllables in 'TabletMac'. Apple will want a two-syllable name starting with "i", to 'sync' with iMac, iPod and iPhone. (Yes, iPod Touch is THREE syllables but the Touch is just a variation of the iPod brand, just as "MacBook Pro" is a variation of "MacBook".)

2) Apple will not want this seen as just another form factor for a Macintosh. They want this to be its own thing, in and of itself. So, 'Mac' will not be part of the name.

3) iPad, as suggested earlier, is a better name. The only problem with it is potential confusion with 'iPod'. On the other hand, some confusion between the names of two Apple products is not entirely bad: It forces the consumer to repeat and focus on the name.

"I'd like an iPad, please."
"iPod?"
"No, an iPad. The new product."
"You mean the tablet?"
"I guess. You know, the one with a big screen, the one that looks like a big iPhone."

4) Any name with "tablet" in it sounds, to the general public, like it either came from Mt. Sinai or a pharmacist. (Yes, it's kind of a joke, but seriously. Apple's market extends far beyond the geeks who live for this stuff.)

5) "iBook" makes the product sound too limited, as if it was just another Kindle or Sony Reader. Apple won't want that perception. (They're not a "me-too" kinda company.)

6) Ditto "iReader".

7) It's possible Apple will choose a word with no direct, obvious connection to the device's purpose ('tablet', 'reader', etc.), because it believes it has the power to invest the name with the meaning it chooses. That's what it did with "pod", rather than "iPlayer" or "iMusic Box" or something equally pedestrian. What was a "pod" before Apple started selling them? Mainly something you kept peas in. (On that basis, "iTab" is possible but I think unlikely.)

Nem Wan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Generally, trademarks are "use it or lose it". To keep a registration "live" a registered trademark must be used currently in commerce. Some companies find an obscure way to do this, for example Verizon slaps the old Ma Bell logo on phone booths or vehicles although the real purpose is to prevent it from becoming available to all-comers, as the infamously unregistered "fingers walking" yellow pages logo did.

So, Apple has to call something a TabletMac to actually keep the trademark. Based on the "Mac" portion they can argue confusion to try to keep others from using it anytime, but actually keeping TabletMac from going "dead" requires using it. The "Mac" trademark is particularly difficult for Apple to police because it was allowed to be used by all kinds of third parties for all kinds of purposes in the Mac's early years.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I'm just saying. TabletMac sounds really dumb. iTouch was made up by iPod touch users because they are too lazy to type iPod touch (I guess) and then a lot of people just started calling it that.

I think it's a valid informal shortening, I don't think any less valid than abbreviations such as MBP.

Why some people object to its informal use is beyond me. Why people confuse the informal use with the marketing name is probably just brain farting or poor mental faculties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.