Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Similar thing happened with iPhone a few months before release.

not exactly.

Cisco had bought the iphone mark from another company some 6-7 years ago and then did nothing with it. It was only after they found out that Apple was going to pick up the mark after it had legally expired (due to the lack of use) that they announced they were releasing in 'iphone' (about a month before the legal deadline) which they did some 3 months after the Apple one. Their hold on the mark was legally very thin but Apple decided not to bother with the lawsuit and agreed to a sharing of the mark. Had they pursued in court it is possible they would have won the mark outright.

My guess on this issue is that Axiotron doesn't see any logic in continuing their modification once Apple's tablet hits the market. So they won't need it. And/or they know they are potentially on thin ice using 'Mac' in the name so it is best to just give up the mark without a fuss.

and in keeping with the current i+what it is naming it will be the iTablet. Camel Cap and all.

At least this story doesn't speculate that the tablet will cost less than a MacBook when it needs more technology (aka higher cost than MacBook).

so you say. but the dominant rumor suggests that the tech is in between the iPod Touch and the Macbook so the cost may be as well.

It is unlikely that they are going to degrade the Macbook sales by making a tablet that is just the Axiotron with Apple's logo on it. The logical piece is to make a true netbook with the ipod functions, and likely ereading and perhaps gaming etc support (via the App Store), not a full blown laptop in a tablet form.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Mac Vaporware

So far the product name should be something like Mac Vaporware. But since the idea of Apple coming out with a tablet or other new model have in the past several years only a rumor by rumor sites & not Apple promises that have not occurred.

That would leave Mac Rumorware for its name at this time.

timbck2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
MacTablet makes soooo much more sense

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacPro
MacMini
MacTablet

Except that according to some rumors, the tablet isn't fully a Mac (i.e. it doesn't run the full version of OS X), but instead it's more like a pumped up iPhone. In which case the name iTablet or iReader or something similar makes more sense (as much as I hate the idea of any more products beginning with "i").

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
NO. This is not a trademark dispute or settlement of any kind.

SHORT ANSWER: Apple will have a tablet soon.

Axiotron was Apple certified to create a tablet mac. They got Apple's permission, and also Apple's blessing to use the name "Tablet Mac".

Apple recently requested the name back. While Apple's device might be named something else, they don't want any confusion for their customers when people refer to a "tablet macintosh"

This is very clearly, Apple getting the trademark back for good reason. They paid Axiotron to get the name, and the terms of that is as usual "keep it quiet", this is why Axiotron hasn't even began to mention it.

How do you know that all of this is true? You're telling people they're wrong (I gather they may well be, but I have no proof), and you make a few statements that I'm skeptical that you know for sure is true.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
No. If my close friend said iTouch, I would tell them that I do not like that word and the reasons why. Then they agree with me, apologize and they stay my friend.

Yes, because the anal retentive person is always right. The way you write it, you make it sound like they lobbed a personally offensive statement, like saying something about your mother.

It doesn't sound like you could be friends with people that you disagree with, they have to believe the same thing as you do, or they're out. Talk about a recipe for groupthink.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
No. If my close friend said iTouch, I would tell them that I do not like that word and the reasons why. Then they agree with me, apologize and they stay my friend.

Cool, but what happened to the 'friends' who didn't agree? body found in a quarry? :)
You sound like a great guy, let me ask you this: do you always agree when you friends tell you that they don't like a word you have uttered? you probably have fascinating conversations, clean and totally free of abbreviation.

and in conversation you would never say: "Obama" you always say: "Barack Hussein Obama II, 44th President of the United States" right?

I don't clobber people.

just give withering stares, sí?

It's an iPod.

yes, we're in agreement: it's a member if the iPod family, this model is lovingly referred to by the so-called apple community as the iTouch.

Imagine how dumb people would sound if they started doing that to all of Apple's stuff?

"Apple"? i don't like that word, please refer to the company as "Apple Inc."

You seem really concerned with how dumb people sound - why?
If people want to refer to a device by a pet name, why not?
I'm sure you'll agree that if all readers know which device they are referring there is no problem.
Must be great fun having you as a dad or mum, or even as a friend

Now, I suggest having a glass of warm iMilk, and maybe have some fun with your iDi*k

best
B

PS are you still using iFinal iCut Istudio

Atrium

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
Missing the big picture...

I think what everyone is actually missing here is the fact that the address on the document for Apple was "1 Infinite Loop"

I only hope that I too can someday be rich enough to change the name of the street I live on into a witty computer pun.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
How do you know that all of this is true? You're telling people they're wrong (I gather they may well be, but I have no proof), and you make a few statements that I'm skeptical that you know for sure is true.

Steve Wozniak is first on the Board of Advisors for Axiotron and has been touting their ModBook from the day it was released. Axiotron has very close Apple ties. They sold and Apple purchased this trademark for VERY good reason

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Cool, but what happened to the 'friends' who didn't agree? body found in a quarry? :)
You sound like a great guy, let me ask you this: do you always agree when you friends tell you that they don't like a word you have uttered? you probably have fascinating conversations, clean and totally free of abbreviation.

and in conversation you would never say: "Obama" you always say: "Barack Hussein Obama II, 44th President of the United States" right?

just give withering stares, sí?

yes, we're in agreement: it's a member if the iPod family, this model is lovingly referred to by the so-called apple community as the iTouch.

"Apple"? i don't like that word, please refer to the company as "Apple Inc."

You seem really concerned with how dumb people sound - why?
If people want to refer to a device by a pet name, why not?
I'm sure you'll agree that if all readers know which device they are referring there is no problem.
Must be great fun having you as a dad or mum, or even as a friend

Now, I suggest having a glass of warm iMilk, and maybe have some fun with your iDi*k

best
B

PS are you still using iFinal iCut Istudio

This is an iTouch

How can I take someone seriously when they call an iPod touch an "iTouch"? I can't. iTouch is lame. So is "OMG", "LOL" and lots of other stupid internet abbreviations. What pains me more is that people say it out loud in conversations now... at least people don't say "LOL" out loud.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
How can I take someone seriously when they call an iPod touch an "iTouch"? I can't. iTouch is lame. So is "OMG", "LOL" and lots of other stupid internet abbreviations. What pains me more is that people say it out loud in conversations now... at least people don't say "LOL" out loud.

LOL

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
lol

Since this is turning into a peeve thread, know what I hate? Logos with pointless swooshes. I also hate logos with pointless swooshey abstracted dancing humanoid figures. AAAAGH! POINTLESS!

Attachments

• iTouch.jpg
    iTouch.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 261

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Ironically, it's just that very thing that I think is happening now. Now that they ARE [we are all assuming] bringing out their tablet and rightly soon, they are shutting down the name from Axiotron (it's now called "modbook").

It's been called Modbook for years; as far as I know it was always marketed as Modbook, never "Tablet Mac." I think this proves nothing about Apple's intentions for a tablet product.

llurgy

Suspended
Jul 23, 2009
This is an iTouch

I call my iPod Touch my "TouchMe Pod"

nhood01

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
I think MacBook will become the tablets name and all current macbooks will become macbookpro. iPad sounds more like a gaming device. ;) The 'book' part will help sell it as an ereader.

Why would a non-folding device have the name book in it? Its much more likely that the name will have to do with the tablet esque look of the thing.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
They would never call it the TabletMac.

I don't think they should, but they could. Some people said that Apple would never make the "fat" nano, and the same thing happened with the tall screen nano. I think the same happened with the video recording too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.