Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknownart

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Texas
TabletMac

I kinda like TabletMac, or better yet, TMac.
I was also thinking of "MacT" however MacT conjures McDonalds.:) But then again, ever since the tv show, Grey's Anatomy, having a "mac" in front of a noun has become sexy.

Jul 29, 2008
So, Apple has to call something a TabletMac to actually keep the trademark.

I hear that. But Apple may apply the name to something other than the physical product in order to keep the name. They could, for example, call the operating system "TabletMac".

They would do something like that to, as you say, avoid product confusion. Since they are coming out with a tablet product, which will get heavy publicity, they don't want a cloner selling a "TabletMac" to try and take advantage of consumer confusion.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Slate

I always liked "Slate", when that guy accidently blurted it out a couple of months back.

Originally I was thinking it would be the iPad. I think that won't be the real name for it, but that they'll make some sort of humorous reference with respect to that in the ad campaigns.

Personally I think the iBook is also good fit. has good existing name recognition and pays a bit of homage without any negative comparison ( like Newton might have )

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I think it's a valid informal shortening, I don't think any less valid than abbreviations such as MBP.

Why some people object to its informal use is beyond me. Why people confuse the informal use with the marketing name is probably just brain farting or poor mental faculties.

Because nobody ever says iClassic, iNano or iShuffle. The iPod touch is an iPod. It's part of the iPod family, so it has to have iPod in the name.

It should remain "iPod touch" because that's what it is. It's not that hard to type.

People these days with their lazy-ass typing make me sick. Oh, and it's not just typing... I've actually heard people say "iTouch" out loud and it still sounds retarded.

By the way. Why do people in this thread keep speculating that the tablet could be called an "iBook". Now, I know that not everyone has been around Macs for as long as I have, but iBook has been used for years for Apple's consumer laptops. I thought it was general knowledge.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
The Apple Tablet reserved for a possible tablet made by Apple is hard to tell if that would be the name.

We heard straight from Steve the change of the laptop name to highlight the Macintosh "Mac", so we have the MacBook, MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air to go along with the iMac and PowerMac and Mac Mini. But then Apple goes and names their phone the iPhone, how original... how boring... They should of called it the "MacSmack" as in don't "talk smack"! :D

So a tablet name... hmmm what's a good one that retains the "Mac" name... JotterMac or JotterMac Pro

Jotter defined: 1. a person who jots things down. or 2. a small notebook (aka netbook). :D:apple:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Generally, trademarks are "use it or lose it". To keep a registration "live" a registered trademark must be used currently in commerce. ...
So, Apple has to call something a TabletMac to actually keep the trademark.

Would licensing the trademark back to Axiotron count as legal use?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'm so glad Apple doesn't let their users come up with product names. Ewww. It would be a disaster.

I think the most logical name would be the MacBook touch. Here's why.

MacBook = Consumer computer
touch = To describe the type of computer it is.

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
MacBook Touch

It would fit in perfectly. I have a feeling it's going to be like a bigger, more powerful iPod touch that is more like a full computer.

I have to admit, I don't know any better about what Apple will call it than all of you, but most of the names everyone else is coming up with is so un-Apple.

TMac? Really? No.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
TabletMac

I would be sorely disappointed if it didn't run OSX, but I'm thinking it will. This is good news to support that hope!

Personally I think the iBook is also good fit. has good existing name recognition and pays a bit of homage without any negative comparison ( like Newton might have )

iLike this too.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
... so it has to have iPod in the name.

It should remain "iPod touch" because that's what it is. It's not that hard to type.

People these days with their lazy-ass typing make me sick. Oh, and it's not just typing... I've actually heard people say "iTouch" out loud and it still sounds retarded.

Wow, I'm impressed by your vigor in this matter.
Do your friends call you an iPedant or a MacPedant?

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Very Uniformed People

NO. This is not a trademark dispute or settlement of any kind.

SHORT ANSWER: Apple will have a tablet soon.

Axiotron was Apple certified to create a tablet mac. They got Apple's permission, and also Apple's blessing to use the name "Tablet Mac".

Apple recently requested the name back. While Apple's device might be named something else, they don't want any confusion for their customers when people refer to a "tablet macintosh"

This is very clearly, Apple getting the trademark back for good reason. They paid Axiotron to get the name, and the terms of that is as usual "keep it quiet", this is why Axiotron hasn't even began to mention it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Wow, I'm impressed by your vigor in this matter.
Do your friends call you an iPedant or a MacPedant?

Lemme just tell you this. I don't have friends that say "iTouch". Cause if they do, they're not my friends.

"iTouch" annoys me more than I'm annoying you right now.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

By the way. Why do people in this thread keep speculating that the tablet could be called an "iBook". Now, I know that not everyone has been around Macs for as long as I have, but iBook has been used for years for Apple's consumer laptops. I thought it was general knowledge.

Since you threw in the "retarted" comment, I think it's fair to say that your sentiment is anal retentive.

deus_ex_machina

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Tejas

Transfer of ownership may not mean Apple has plans on using the term. Apple may have simply contested the trademark due to the potential for confusion between "TabletMac" and their own trademarks. But now Apple could potentially release a product called the TabletMac, and given the overwhelming number of reports of an Apple-branded tablet device, it certainly raises that question.
[/url]

+1! It's nice to see some using the proper term instead of the misnomer "begging the question." :)

Flavioparentiq

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Roma
What about Itab

the tablet has been delayed to late 2010 after chrome os came out.
It could be a coincidence... but my guess is that the device will be an 100% internet compliant pece of hardware with an online os similar to the iphone one, but more powerful to handle desktop environment apps.

The os will have an online profile for each user, creating an identity for every user that goes online linked to all system settings a synchronization with desktop or macbook off line systems. This will help in advertising too, profiling the user analizing all his online moves.

The tablet will be a device with media/buying capabilities (itunes/quicktime/appstore/ebay/online purchase), surf capabilities (safari and synchronization services) and kindle-like (publisher for online magazine) and light desktop applications that could be download via the appstore.

Gps, 3g and wi-fi ready.

Btw, name could be Itab or Ibook or Itakeovereverything

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Lemme just tell you this. I don't have friends that say "iTouch". Cause if they do, they're not my friends.

"iTouch" annoys me more than I'm annoying you right now.

So, if a close friend said iTouch, you would actually terminate the friendship? Excellent!

What if a you heard a stranger say iTouch in a public space? You'd go over and clobber the offender, right?

I applaud you & wish you luck on this crusade against abbreviation.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
So, if a close friend said iTouch, you would actually terminate the friendship? Excellent!

What if a you heard a stranger say iTouch in a public space? You'd go over and clobber the offender, right?

I applaud you & wish you luck on this crusade against abbreviation.

No. If my close friend said iTouch, I would tell them that I do not like that word and the reasons why. Then they agree with me, apologize and they stay my friend.

I don't clobber people.

It's an iPod.

Imagine how dumb people would sound if they started doing that to all of Apple's stuff?

iMini
iAir
iPro
iClassic
iNano
iLogic
iGarageBand
iSoundtrack
iMagic Mouse

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Axiotron could have been shut down or paid off when this came out. Doing so before would've been a mistake because it would've sent the message that Apple would soon bring out it's own tablet and didn't want the confusion that TabletMac was theirs. Being that they didn't want to send that message prematurely, they did nothing.

Ironically, it's just that very thing that I think is happening now. Now that they ARE [we are all assuming] bringing out their tablet and rightly soon, they are shutting down the name from Axiotron (it's now called "modbook").

Honestly, Axiotron probably sells so few of these that a simple name change is not going to cost them sales. Also, Apple's decision to put out a tablet probably won't either since all bets are on Apple going with with a modified iPhone OS X and not just OS X outright. There'll be plenty of people who still want a tablet with the actual Mac OS X to keep Axiotron in greenbacks.

I totally think this is a clear indicator that we'll soon a tablet from Apple. It won't be called TabletMac, but it's coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.