Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
........................................If they could jump right away to something like Pixel Qi's 3Qi sunlight readable screens, that would be even better. Sadly Pixel Qi will only target ~ 10" screens in their initial production runs. So maybe for the hypothetical iTablet / MacBook Mini.

yes, i'm planning on the tablet already:D

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I strongly prefer matte, but I even MORE strongly prefer cleanability and durability. Glass for me! (Or glossy plastic, failing that.)

But having more options would always be the best of all.

I would take plastic glossy over the current glass as a half-way point honestly.

Sdancott

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sheffield, UK
"The reception was favorable enough that Apple, in a bid to push the envelope and standardize materials across its product families, gave similar treatment to its iMac line a few months later"

Hmm, I hardly think apple waited to gauge customers reaction regarding the iPhone's glossy surface before implementing the design through the iMac line.

after all, the iMac was released just a few months later, i'm sure apple had these designs changes in the pipeline for a long time before the iPhone emerged.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Options are good.

The sooner the better, I have stated many times that I will not purchase a glass/glossy Mac. Windows gives me a headache sometimes, but the glass/glossy displays give me a headache all the time!!!

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I sure hope so. My MBP has a matte display, my sister's new Unibody Macbook CE has a glassy/glossy display and there really is no comparison. Everything is a lot more lifelike on the matte, watching HD videos is far more breathtaking. On the Macbook CE it looks like you're looking at things through a window, wheras on my MBP it's like you're there.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Having a glare-option seems like good proposition for Apple. It used to be offered for free, but now they can return it to make users happy and profit by charging $50. Since glossy looks to remain the default option, glossy supporters have little reason to complain.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a matte 15.4" Macbook Pro with ExpressCard, Clarksfield, and a 1GB GT240M.

badapple18

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
well at first before i bought my 13" macbook pro i was worried about the high gloss feature but the more and more i use it it doesn't bother me i have actually grown to enjoy the sharpness of the whole as a unit. having a continuous surface from left to right. I am glad i waited for a replacement for my 12" powerbook and i am sooooo glad i didn't go out and buy the 13" unibody macbook good things come to those who wait

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I hope this becomes reality. I switched to a matte MBP from an earlier MB. Soo much better. That said, from the computers I've seen it seems like the current line of macs are much less reflective than the earlier ones. Still, one can't always avoid the shine of a lamp in a coffee shop or library. In those instances, glossy is just the worst thing you can have. I used to put on sunglasses :cool:.

tonkaxxtuph

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
24" mirror - aka Apple's LED display

I thought this was going to be a great item. Thank goodness I didn't purchase it until I saw it at my local Apple Store. This thing is a giant mirror. I hope they update it, that would great!

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
The glossy screen is just an eyesore.

I will only buy if I'm paid to buy or I'm buying to sell immediately.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
good news! now bring back the grey. i can only hope that everything turns grey again. black keyboard is very common. i liked the previous versions 'cause they looked much more unified. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.