Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I for one have put off upgrading our family imac because I will not buy a glassy/glossy screen. Put the matte back in, SJ, and you will have another sale in our household.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Woo Hoo!!!

:D :) :D :) :D

I'm not a visual industry professional, just a regular web / word processing / home photos type user, and I cannot stand glossy screen. I'm still using a 1 GHz powerbook G4 in part because there's no way I would ever buy a glossy screen computer. If this rumor is true, then it's a good move for Apple that reverses the stupid move they made in the first place. There's nothing wrong with offering glossy screens in addition, but offering glossy screens as the only choice is a stupid business decision.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
cynical/
Anyone know if matte screen suddenly became cheaper than glossy ones for large bulk purchasers?
/cynical

Seriously great news if true. I have learned to live with the glossy on my MacBook, but it's one of the few things I don't really like about it.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Awesome

Ha! Another reason I'm glad I passed up the latest rev of the MBPs, even though it was extremely difficult to do so.

Now all I need is Nehalem, Blu-Ray, USB3, and BT3, and I'll be good.

That'll be the best 13" machine ever. In the meantime, my 1.33GHz 12" PBG4 lives on.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm curious how they would do this--I've never seen a matte 17" MBP (except the old design), so I'm curious how they'd do this when the Al unibody uses glass to cover not only the screen but also the bezel, without any gap or "seam" between them.

Again, I suppose they already have this figured out in the current matte 17" unibody MBP, but I just can't seem to find any pictures on Apple's website or elsewhere to let me know how it works. :D

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
When I bought my current iMac, I went with a refurb white one, just before they became unavailable... because it was the only way to get a matte screen. I shudder at every rumor that the Mini might be endangered, because the Mac Pro is way out of my price range, so the Mini is the only future upgrade path available to me.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Oh, brother...

The glassy screen is not the least bit annoying. I use mine near windows and under very bright lights and the reflections are minimal, not even noticeable at all.

Forget about the freakin' screen. Nobody cares about that (except that there should be a 1920 x 1200 screen on the 15" too). Apple should instead be reintroducing ExpressCard and going back to the Core 2 Duos with the 6 MB L2 cache.

And I LOL'd at some people saying they got a ThinkPad based on this one point of contention alone. Seriously? I mean ThinkPads are sturdy and well built, but you lose Mac OS X amazingness. :eek:

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Oh here we go again :rolleyes:
-"Glossy is better!"
-"No, Matte is better!"

I'm glad they are possibly considering inclusion of choices for their consumers. Now if they start offering a 1920x1200 in the 15" as Dell does, they will be good to go :cool:

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Ha! Another reason I'm glad I passed up the latest rev of the MBPs, even though it was extremely difficult to do so.

Now all I need is Nehalem, Blu-Ray, USB3, and BT3, and I'll be good.

That'll be the best 13" machine ever. In the meantime, my 1.33GHz 12" PBG4 lives on.

Don't count your chicken! I'm still waiting for that 12" MBP to replace my 12" Powerbook. The 13" MBP is close with the addition of firewire but no matte screen means no purchase yet, oh yeah and the fact that they cannot get the EFI 1.8 update out.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I kind of like the glossy screen.

Agreed. When put side to side, my 13" MBP reflects more than my old plastic Macbook (sold now) when the display is off. But when it's on, it's actually less reflective, mainly because the backlight is so much stronger.

It's also great on trains with direct light coming through the window onto the screen. Matte screens tend to absorb the sunlight and you only really see the dust and smudges and can't tell if the screen is on or off. The glass display at least can be turned slightly so you don't have the direct light. Contrast seems higher, too.

When the lights in the room are on, I actually prefer the MBP's glass display to my Dell 2005 FPW (matte S-IPS panel). Nicer for reading text IMO. The strong LED backlight is really nice.

To each his own, choice is always good. I also feel for the matte-lovers who have to pay extra to get the non-glossy screen. I just wanted a small Apple laptop with some cohones and the high end 13" Macbook Pro delivers. It's my main computer, believe it or not. Got a Mac Mini for the media and backup stuff (time machine over network) and love the little guy.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Matte supertransflective screen with locally dimmed LED backlighting. That should be it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This is great for people who want matte screens!
This is great for people who want glossy screens (and don't want to listen to the above moaning any more..)!

Anyone who voted negative on this news, is to be taken out and shot. That is all..

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I'm curious how they would do this--I've never seen a matte 17" MBP (except the old design), so I'm curious how they'd do this when the Al unibody uses glass to cover not only the screen but also the bezel, without any gap or "seam" between them.

Again, I suppose they already have this figured out in the current matte 17" unibody MBP, but I just can't seem to find any pictures on Apple's website or elsewhere to let me know how it works. :D
They've been very secretive about what this looks like, showing it only in an obscure presentation by the Sr VP of Worldwide Product Marketing. :)
mattembp.png

altmac

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Hallelujah

Hallelujah!:)
Maybe now we finally purcahse a macbook pro 15''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Give us the option Apple! Listen to what consumers want!..Dont turn your back on your clients!...
I have been postponing the purchase forever...and now I hope this is true - will buy the macbook pro in no time! (the moment I have a matte option!!!!!)

now...anyone has a timeline?.....:rolleyes:

Bring it on Apple! Matte option!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
But buying from the Apple Online Store is not practical. It should also be available elsewhere (not inexistent Apple Retail Stores).

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
glad it might be an option and stop those from whining. I can understand glare on a laptop that moves all over and can reflect the light.

However, Matte screens also reflect light...just a diffused light and therefore less noticeable but still there. ehh, to each their own.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I strongly prefer matte, but I even MORE strongly prefer cleanability and durability. Glass for me! (Or glossy plastic, failing that.)

But having more options would always be the best of all.

(And I don't think the iPhone's good reception spurred the move to glossy screens. Many people simply LIKE glossy screens--they look better in some ways, and had been a premium option on laptops before Apple started offering them. And the glossy screens do already have an anti-glare treatment. They reflect in a way matte doesn't, and that annoys me, but they don't by any means reflect as much as plain glossy surfaces do. That's easy to test. Bright white lights reflect in an Apple display greatly dimmed. Enough to be useable, for me.)

Agreed. As much as I love matte, being able to clean off my screen like it was a window is so much easier. Just spray a little water and wipe it down.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Forget about the freakin' screen. Nobody cares about that

Well... at time of posting: 218 Positives; 20 Negatives

As long as it's an OPTION why do you care if it makes others happy?

Incidentally I think the silver bezel on the 17 inch with a matte screen looks much nicer than the black surround, regardless of what's in between it.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Agreed. As much as I love matte, being able to clean off my screen like it was a window is so much easier. Just spray a little water and wipe it down.

Matte screens work exactly the same, just use a moist rag and wipe it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.